1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Building creations for a 'Dark Crystal / Labyrinth' inspired short

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Peter Haynes, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Peter Haynes New Member

Hi all,

I'm a filmmaker based in New Zealand, and I'm currently in pre production on a short fantasy film called 'Coma'. I'm building a lot of the puppets / props myself, and I'd just like to share some of my progress :)

[IMG]
    Concept sketch

[IMG]

Work in progress.

[IMG]
    Concept sketch for a 'Sherpa' puppet, where the puppeteer hides inside a tower of bags, and their own legs double as the puppets.

[IMG]

'Sherpa' puppet in progress

[IMG]
    Leatherwork for the Sherpas shoulderpads

[IMG]
    Dyed and detailed

More to come soon :)
    YoJimbo likes this.
  2. Peter Haynes New Member

The full backpack rig for my sherpa puppet. He's supposed to be a bit of a walking Swiss army knife, so eventually his belt will have pouches and hooks for tools and other trinkets

[IMG]
  3. ashkent Active Member

Love these. There's something a bit Star Wars about them as well.
  4. Buck-Beaver Active Member

These look really fantastic! Do you have a production blog, or collect these photos anywhere online?
  5. Peter Haynes New Member

6. Hubert Well-Known Member

These are very good looking so far. Love the idea of your short also.
  7. Peter Haynes New Member

A couple of new pics:

[IMG]
    The top is a test skin of one of my 'Lost Ones' characters. Eventually I'll need 20 of these. The eyes are plastic spoons.

[IMG]

A photoshop previsualisation of what the final paint job might look like.

The Lost Ones are lonely creatures trapped in the world of the Coma, but they still maintain some vestiges of their former humanity, show in the blue eyes of this character. Each Lost One will eventually have a look and simple outfit that reflects their former lives.
  8. Peter Haynes New Member

[IMG]
    'Chops' in his current state...still missing his arms, but coming along :)
  9. MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

Beautiful work.
  10. Peter Haynes New Member

[IMG]

First one down...19 to go (I need 20 Lost Ones for a crowd scene). Pistachio nut shells for fingernails :)
    CaseytheMuppet likes this.
  11. Sidebottom Member

These are really fantastic.
  12. kumakami Member

great use of the shells. I love the look.
  13. JacobsBest Member

Wow! Can't wait to see how it all comes together :)
  14. Peter Haynes New Member

Been hard at work...some new puppets and updated older ones.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  15. Pupops New Member

Awesome work !!!! i am filmmaker myself too, love the expresion of the last one, loe the wrats (hope to say it right lol) do you use airbrush to make the shadows on their faces? they are very smooth and look very proffessional. Keep them coming
  16. Hubert Well-Known Member

Love that Lost One especially, there's just something so life-like and cool about it. Also love your use of materials, plastic spoons for eyes, and pistachio shells for fingernails. :)

All of the other pics you posted look really great too. Love your attention to little details.
  17. Peter Haynes New Member

Still building!

[IMG]
    The nearly completed upper costume for the 'Sherpa' puppet
    [IMG]
    A costume sketch for a 'Spirit Guide' character.

[IMG]
    The first completed item for the 'Spirit Guide'....an archery wrist guard, with a pained expression because it keeps getting hit with the bowstring.

I have an indiegogo campaign running if anyone would like to check it out, to help pay for building materials...the address is:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/adopt-a-lost-one/x/101030
    TheWeirdoGirl likes this.
  18. Peter Haynes New Member

A few more updates:

[IMG]
    We had a big build day recently, and got a heck of a lot of new puppets made

[IMG]
    A rough test of how the sherpa will work

[IMG]
    Heres one of my favourite new guys so far.

and finally, a video of our build day :)
  19. Peter Haynes New Member

A new Lost One joins the tribe

[IMG]

This ones called Ringo.
  20. kumakami Member

inspiring, truly!