Broken Arm plots

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
One thing I noticed about SS is during the first year I ever watched the show, which I think was the 1984-1985 year. I remember Luis broke his arm, and for the next month or so a lot of the episodes focused on his broken arm until he finally got it removed. In the last episode about his cast he chased Oscar (in his can with his feet sticking out of the bottom) around Sesame Street because he was now able to give Oscar a "hug" since both his arms were free. Well 7 years later in the 1992-1993 Season Telly broke his arm while playing Triangle tag and about a months worth of episodes focused on his broken arm, and the dilema's of having a broken arm. When he got his cast removed he gave it to Oscar for a gift. Telly's broken arm was almost like a remade concept to teach kids about what happens if they or a friend has a broken arm. Mabye they felt like they would get the message across better having a muppet charachter with a broken arm.

superboober

Reaction score
I do remember around 1985 or so Big Bird went to the hospital (I think it was a random checkup, nothing serious) and made friends with a girl named Sarah who had a broken arm, accompanied by an explanation of the purposes of casts (our favorite canary was gracious enough to sign it for her too).

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Does anyboby remember when Luis had to get glasses?

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember in an episode back in the late 70's, Mr. Hooper ended up slipping on an oil slick and sprained his arm. The doctor put a splint on his arm. Later, Mr. Hooper practiced doing things with one hand like making a sandwich and locking his door. But he had a hard time writing on the menu board since his right hand was in the splint.

And back in the early 80's. Oscar ended up breaking his arm in a motorcycle accident. Maria took Oscar to the hospital and he had to get a cast and spend the night in the hospital. Later, the adults and kids came to visit Oscar and give him grouchy gifts. Then Oscar was finally able leave the hospital. The doctor told Maria that her son was finally able to leave. Maria told the doctor that Oscar was not her son. "Sorry", said the doctor. "I meant your daughter." Oscar laughed at that remark.

And there was a time Slimey parachuted from a plane and ended up spraining his middle. Two medics brought in a tiny stretcher and put Slimey on it and took him to the hospital while Oscar chased after him. The doctor wrapped a bandage around Slimey's middle. Oscar told Slimey, "No more parachute jumping for you! From now on, you're grounded!"

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I remember the episodes with Telly's broken arm:

How it happened was that he was playing Triangle Tag with Elmo and he tripped over a bike which belonged to some girl named either Ruthie or Lucy...forgot which.

Also remember the times Telly and Luis went to the hospital for a check-up by Dr. Sing (yes, as his last name suggests) Telly went to get his (and Freddy's) X-ray, at one point he thinks that he can't use his other arm to write, but Luis encourages him, kids came to sign Telly's cast...and he realizes that there's a whole line of people wanting to sign his cast! At the end of that episode Elmo signed Telly's cast and they played together (outer space?)

In another episode, Telly was at the Arbor Area singing "Broken Arm Blues" (with a Honker in the little circle playing the bugle) Later on, Oscar comes out of his can and tells us that he actually feels sorry for Telly's arm, so he'll hide in his can and not come out. Telly comes by and he's like "Hey Oscar. What are you doing? I know you were there, I just saw you..." He bangs on the can: "Come on, Oscar, What are you dooiiinngg???" He opens the can lid and Oscar's eyes peek out and Oscar replies "I'm hiding from you! That's what!" And he says why. Telly thinks "that's so nice of you" Oscar says it's not and that leads into an arguement, which he seems to be enjoying.

One episode Telly stood outside Oscar's can and several kids came to sign his cast, including a cow. Oscar came out and he wanted to sign it too, but Telly refuses (forgot why Telly refused, but I was thinking because he'd pull a prank or it's because he's a grouch). Oscar's second attempt was in front of 123, where he convinces Telly to let him by telling a story about a Grouch and little blue monster (the Grouch in this one was the one used for Gary Grouch) and my memory seems to be little hazed up and I can't exactly make out what the puropse of it was, but it ended with the monster falling into a puddle of mud. At the end, several adults are with Telly at the counter outside the Fix-It-Shop and Oscar comes in, and finally convinces him. Telly eventually gives in, and Oscar signs his cast with his name. Telly then gave Oscar a big hug (much against his will).

Later on, Telly finally got his cast removed, and his arm recovered). At the near end of the episode, he and several others (including Maria) were near the trashcan, where Telly shows off what he can do with his arms (making a butterfly) And, he knocks on the can and gives Oscar the cast pieces, which he admires and says "Thanks"(!)

sasimon2135

Reaction score
I wonder if anybody can help me with something related to this. I started watching Sesame Street videos again on YouTube and sesamestreet.org because I was hoping to hear or read again the eight lines of a poem recited by people who imagine if they broke their thumbs. My father taped this episode in 1989, and I watched it constantly for a few years. The tapes have been either destroyed or overwritten, but thanks to some timely information from Muppet Wiki I believe almost certainly that the episode is #2604. At any rate, I believe that the order of appearance of the people with casts on their thumbs is:

1. Maria, who cannot use a fork
2. Telly or Herry Monster, who cannot throw a ball
3. A girl, who cannot tie her shoe
4. An old man (Wally?), who cannot button his clothes
5. Elmo, who cannot use a pencil
6. A boy, who cannot play his drums (he drops his drumsticks).

Lines 7 and 8 are said AFTER the imagination scenes. Then the boy who says #6 plays a short drum solo to end the sequence.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
According to the Muppet Wiki age on the episode where Telly breaks his arm, Luis mentioned the time he broke his arm.

Muppet Frog

Reaction score
On't forget the episode from last season where Big Bird sprained his wing.