BK Spongebob Commercial

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Well here's the thing. The Flintstones is a cartoon that came on in prime time that was generally for adults when it originally came on. So now people are seeing these adds and the first thought is the fruity pebbles commercials.
That's a good point and thank you for stating that.

But what about these people whom want to get rid of all those fast food kids meal toys cause they think it makes these kids want to cram more fast food in their mouths. The Simpsons are among these fast food toys and their show is on prime time.

Plus what about Joe Camel? as far as I can recall, he never had a cartoon show aimed at kids or families, so in truth he should be allowed to be used. What about the fact that Disney hasn't yet to release on US home video "Song of the South" due to it's accusations of racism? The ponit I think in the minds of these parents it really doesn't matter whom the audience is suppose to be, if there is a cartoon character on a box or in a commercial it usually gets the attention of children. I think there have been studies to show that's true, but I personally don't agree with it.

I'm not saying in the 1960's when those Flinstones winston cigarettes commercials were shown that was the company's intention, I'm sure since at the time it was a prime time cartoon view by family both parents and children, yes they probably were marketing these to the parents. But what if an adult cartoon say, Family Guy, did billboards ads today with their characters smoking cigarettes? Well you know their will be people getting mad saying those ads, though it's mainly a grown up toon, are being used for children, right?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I never understood the complaints about Joe Camel, btw. When I looked at him as a kid I knew he was clearly not Mickey Mouse! Lol, I mean, he was a cigarette ad and therefore off limits.

Though, I don't think we can put all these examples in one box. They're all different and require different solutions. Kids will see prime time commercials aimed at adults and for companies to say "well it's not for children" is just a copout, hehe.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I never understood the complaints about Joe Camel, btw. When I looked at him as a kid I knew he was clearly not Mickey Mouse! Lol, I mean, he was a cigarette ad and therefore off limits.
Yeah me too actually, :smile:. In fact when I was a kid I thought he seems kind of dirty and slezey, so he never made me want to smoke.
Though, I don't think we can put all these examples in one box. They're all different and require different solutions. Kids will see prime time commercials aimed at adults and for companies to say "well it's not for children" is just a copout, hehe.
I totally agree, which is why I can understand why some parents are upset with this commericial.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh Dear God, the commercial's on again....where the mute button? Seriously, I may have to avoid the TV for awhile. I remember studying in school that sometimes Ad houses purposely make commercials annoying because they stay in the person's head. Well this one is staying in my head but it's making me VERY reluctant to EVER go to Burger King again!

Drtooth

Reaction score
All in all, my point is that if Dr.Tooth or anyone else thinks it's so dumb that people hate that cartoon characters are being used to sell junk food, than he should hate those very same people whom were aganist Joe Camel for being a cartoon character on cigerattes. His point of view was that it's been done since cartoons were on TV a long time ago and if that makes it ok, than it should be ok to use cartoons to sell cigarettes.

As stated I agree with DrTooth that parents should just be tell their kids No, but I don't agree with him calling some parents dumb and lazy because they don't like cartoon characters selling junk food. I for one don't really see a problem with that, since in my view the two go hand in hand. But, on the other hand I don't have kids and some parents believe obesity is a problem with our nations youth and don't like cartoons being used to sell junk food and I can understand that, to a point.

Okay... here's the difference.... The Flintstones were NEVER meant to be kid's cartoon characters, and that ad was made when cig ads were okay to put on TV. And as for Joe Camel I disagree with the idea of an anthro cartoonish character with a cig in his mouth... but what kid is stupid enough to confuse him for Mickey Mouse? The only kids who wind up smoking at a young age are juvenile delinquents anyway, doing it to purposely tick off their parents.

As for junk food, MODERATION! Moderation, moderation, moderation. You might as well start petitioning every single bakery and mom and pop restaurant to only sell tofu and carrot sticks. Kids eat junk food. Kids hate vegetables... the parents used to be good at saying "eat your vegetables, there are starving kids in Africa who would kill to eat that." Now parents say, "oh, honey... oh you don't like what i made for you? Well, I'll make anything you want, or go out and buy whatever you want because I want you to be my friend." Kids HAVE friends. They need a parent. No one likes getting shots, either. And if you don't get your shots? Bammo... Flu pandemic.

Why do I have no problem with cartoon characters on the packs of these things? Maybe because, the REAL cause of the obesity problem is hidden under a disgusting truth that NO ONE wants to bring up. It's a poverty thing. Why are all the poor people fat and the rich people thin when ages ago, it was the opposite? You can feed a family of 4 at McD's for less than 10 bucks where well to do people go to their organic markets and get a single carrot for 10 bucks... you know... "Organically grown" using the same slave labor that the commercially grown kind uses. But it costs more, so it tastes better. No one wants to talk about that at all. No. "Oh Nos! Spongebob is on a breakfast cereal. That's what's making kids that aren't mine fat. I better start parenting everyone else's kids and ignore my own."

Again I say, if property taxes when up once cent per person to get healthier meals in schools (the only time a lot of the poorest of the poor get a hot meal) or to introduce better health and Phys Ed programs in schools, they'd moan and groan about their taxes going up. it's easier to whine and complain and villify big companies (guess what? All big companies are bad and only want to make money off of people. That includes these phoney large chain organic marts) and get everything pulled off the shelves than it is to actually A) parent their own kids B) help solve the poverty obesity problem by donating to charity C) do a little bleeping research Or C) donating to PBS. You want commercial free stuff, don't you?

I know I sound upset about this, but I feel passionate about this. Big reason why? unfortunately, junk food advertisements fund children's TV. Without them, we have these nice little infomercials that sell stuff a million times more dangerous than a cheeseburger... I'm talking risky investing (look where that got us), pyramid schemes, dangerous diets that have been disproven by every medical researcher out there, and any book written by Kevin "The government doesn't want you to read this book, because if they find me, I'll be indited for fraud for the 12th time" Trauduea.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I absolutely agree about the poverty issue, McDonald's brings in people of limited means because its prices are low.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Exactly... and NO ONE wants to bring it up. I once heard horror stories of poor people who don't even live near grocery stores and have to do all their food shopping at convenience stores. Not to mention Frozen Dinners are even cheaper than McD's.

Fact of the matter is, I could respect the fact they don't like cartoons on junk food. Could. But I once heard this woman at a press conference saying how because the cartoons are on the package, they have to buy the product to stop their kid's whining. And that smacked of laziness and selfishness. We live in a world of temptation. We can't just hide everything from kids, because when it becomes forbidden fruit, it tastes sweeter. Instead of banning everything under the sun, try educating your kids. A Twinkees commercial can co-exist on television with ads like these. Only health PSA's I've seen are old Disney movie footage clumsilly added to a picture of the food pyramid (That Pinocchio one was especially clumsy) and the stars of qubo talking to Olympic gymnasts.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Fact of the matter is, I could respect the fact they don't like cartoons on junk food. Could. But I once heard this woman at a press conference saying how because the cartoons are on the package, they have to buy the product to stop their kid's whining. And that smacked of laziness and selfishness.
Well sometimes parents are irresponsible like that, but often they are just overworked and overwhelmed when dealing with their kids.

Only health PSA's I've seen are old Disney movie footage clumsilly added to a picture of the food pyramid (That Pinocchio one was especially clumsy) and the stars of qubo talking to Olympic gymnasts.
I just saw that Pinochio commercial; you know they missed an opportunity there to tell kids if they don't eat their veggies, they'll turn into donkeys! :wink:

Btw, anyone else ever find it ironic that McDonalds of all things is always "proud to feed America's athletes?" Lol

Xerus

Reaction score
I've seen my share of commercials that kind of bother me and never know when they'll suddenly appear during my favorite shows. I'm lucky that I have a TiVo that allows me to fast forward these annoying commercials.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well sometimes parents are irresponsible like that, but often they are just overworked and overwhelmed when dealing with their kids.
Yeah, there's a lot of parents that are very, very overwhelmed, and I totally respect them. However, I doubt they're the ones that cause these groups, as they don't have any spare time. I once heard there's a group that wants to stop toy commercials as well, because they're afraid that their kids will want something they don't need. That's like saying, "I want a boat, but I don't want it to go out on the water, because I might get sea sick." Commercials ARE supposed to make you want stuff you don't need. That's what commercials are. In fact, the best way you can teach your kid to not trust advertisers is to buy one of the toys that make the most amazing claims possible. They'll buy it, get it out of the package, get extremely disappointed with it, and learn an important lesson about not trusting everything you see.

Plus, I tend to think that kids are pretty sharp... sharper so than adults. They know if something's a pack of lies. And on that subject matter, how come no one is outraged at the depression medication, and worse, the sleep aid commercials that run all over adult's programming. That sends the message, "Don't look deeply at your life and wonder why you can't sleep... just cram a pill down your throat, and your problems will be solved. And it probably has nothing to do with the hundreds of cups of coffee you drink at work."

I just saw that Pinochio commercial; you know they missed an opportunity there to tell kids if they don't eat their veggies, they'll turn into donkeys! :wink:
Good one. I was thinking the same thing too. They really need to make interesting, catchy health PSAs, instead of ones with a 10 dollar budget, or ones that are made entirely out of old movie footage. I like that NFL "get out and play an hour a day" ad. That one shows that you can do a good one if you have the effort. Even CN has something like that. only saw it once, though, cuz I don't have cable.