1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Big Bird and Cuban Singer Lady

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by dustinrn, Feb 24, 2005.

1. dustinrn

dustinrn New Member

Does anyone remember a skit form the late 80's-early 90's about Big Bird and an older, Cuban woman in a yellow floral print dress with very long fingernails (she looked almost african-american) and she sings a song to him in her native language about hummingbirds? She starts out by saying something like "You know big bird, in my country, we have a very tiny bird called a zum-zum(?). She then breaks into song with lyrics like "zoom-zoom-zoom " " "..."
    Does anyone know WHO that lady is and where I might find a recording of that song?
  2. Schmoo

Schmoo New Member

YES! I loved this skit! Her name is Celia Cruz.

Sorry, I don't know where you could get a recording of the song though.

http://www.amiannoyingornot.com/(nvvwfi55zk5c5kmcw0celfao)/view.aspx?id=8587&collection=3271
  3. TashAndMe

TashAndMe Member

Celia Cruz also appeared in "Put Down the Duckie" among the other celebrities who appeared in that segment. I didn't find out her name until recently. She's a great singer.
  4. Soul H

Soul H New Member

Didn't Ms. Cruz do a song about counting to 10 in spanish? If so, how did it go?
  5. Schmoo

Schmoo New Member

Hmmm, I seem to remember Maria singing it-

"Uno dos tres--quatro, cinco, seis--seite, ocho, nueve, diez!"
  6. Soul H

Soul H New Member

No, no, no. It had 10 anything muppets each holding a number from 1 to 10.

I think it goes "I learned from my friend bruno(?) Number 1 is Uno. Or something like that.

7. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

[Celia]
    I wonder did you know
    In Spanish 1 is uno
    But if you like 2
    Dos is for you
    If you want 3
    To tres say sí sí
    And if you want more
    Cuatro is 4

[Anything Muppets]
    Uno, dos, tres
    Uno, dos, tres (cuatro)
    Uno, dos, tres
    Uno, dos, tres (cuatro)

[Celia]
    I never jive
    Cinco is 5
    I don't play tricks
    Seis is 6
    If you like 7
    Then siete is heaven
    And what's really great
    Ocho is 8

[Anything Muppets]
    Cinco, seis, siete
    Seis, siete, ocho
    Cinco, seis, siete
    Seis, siete, ocho

[Celia]
    I'll show you what's fine
    Nueve is 9
    10 is diez
    Let me show you again

[Anything Muppets]
    Uno, dos, tres
    Cuatro, cinco, seis
    Siete, ocho, nueve
    Ocho, nueve, diez
    (repeat till end)
  8. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

Ah, "Numero Comparso". Muy bueno! :D
  9. jeffkjoe

jeffkjoe New Member

If you want a copy of Celia Cruz singing this, it's on the FIESTA! DVD with Rosita on the cover.
  10. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Might have to check this one out for myself, along with the Celebration of Grover and Count It Higher to be released later this year.
    That song was lodged in my memory bank, sung in front of the same columnade background as the hummingbird song.
  11. MagentaThompson

MagentaThompson New Member

This is definitely not in your head, dustinrn. I have been looking for this song all my life. The problem is that I was so young when I saw it, and I didn't remember as much as you did, and I don't speak Spanish. Between the two of us, we're going to find that song! This skit is one of my favorites. Aside from the legendary Ms. Cruz, it's nice to see some characters just having fun for a change, singing about a bird. Big Bird joins in at the end, and they shout azucar...oh man, I'm getting old.
  12. The Count

You mean "sugar"?
    Jut helpin' out.
  13. MagentaThompson

No, I mean "azucar", Celia's trademark call, Spanish for "sugar" of course.
  14. The Count

Yeah... That's why I asked. If you need help translating, LMK and I'll try my best to help.
  15. MagentaThompson

Awesome! Thanks in advance. If I ever find this little gem of a ditty, you're the first one I'll bug to translate it for me.:flirt:
  16. HulaHoop444

HulaHoop444 New Member

I found it on youtube!