Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That said, back to the show... can anyone pinpoint the exact moment where Brain started becoming Brainy Smurf? I know the Kafka's Metamorphoses parody Pest episode was a key point in that... but I can't help that it started earlier.
Perhaps the episode where he and Sue Ellen do that dinosaur project together, but Brain tries to insist on doing the work himself, fearing that any of Sue Ellen's contributions would be too girly, and cost him a perfect grade?

But one thing that stands out in my mind now is when he introduced the show by talking about the difference between day and night because of the earth's rotation, then Arthur interrupts him saying they don't even know what he's talking about, but Brain says they're smarter than he thinks... then looks straight at the audience and says in a baby tone, "Would you lke to learn about gravity?" and it turns out he was talking to Kate and Pal.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I mean, the constantly correcting others over and over to an extent of annoyance from the other characters. There were subtle tones of that through the years... Brain correcting Arthur's space version of the events of how he got his dog, then again correcting Francine's school project comic page about Romans at the Olympic games... of course, those were more suggestions than outright Brainy Smurfness.

I know there was a certain specific point where Francine stopped being extremely nasty and actually learned to care (halfway through the end of the one where Jenna goes to the sleep over). Worked wonders for the plotline of the one where MacGrady gets Cancer.

Somehow, I think if this wasn't voiced in Canada and was made in the 1980's, Barry Gordon would've done Brain's voice too.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sometimes I kind of wish we could see just a little more of what goes on in the Read house, specifically all the occasions where D.W. is like, "Gee, that Mr. Rathead, Ratburp, Arthur's teacher's not scary at all like Arthur says..." I'd just love to see Arthur telling D.W. all these tall tales about Ratburn and hear what exactly he tells her that makes him out to be so scary, and how she would react to those tales. I wonder if he told her the same things he was told about him, like eating nails for breakfast, secretly being a vampire with hypnotic powers, or sending you to death row if you give incorrect answers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Watching some of those old episodes, I actually hate the kids' insinuations that Ratburn is some sort of monster. That was cute in one episode sure... but after a while it just seemed tiresome.

I dunno... maybe it's the adult in me, but I see Ratburn as caring oh so much for the future of the kids, he bogs them down with work to test their potential. And the whole Mr. Pricejones was his model bit.

The getting pleasure from giving them too much homework bit I do get, though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Apparently, they released a few more episodes on DVD (if they haven't already). there's 2 disk sets at Target that are 10 bucks each, but between 2 disks, they only have about 4 or 5 full episodes on there. And they're fairly current... I forget which ones were on there, but I remembered Binky vs Binky on one of the sets.

Still, how come Mill Creak can get 10 episodes of the lousy Postcards from Buster on a 5 dollar budget disk, and we can't see a reasonably priced season set of this show even though it's the same production companies on every level?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, tell me about it... I never really understood why they released Seasons 10 and 11 on DVD, I mean, that's such a weird place to start releasing season sets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, tell me about it... I never really understood why they released Seasons 10 and 11 on DVD, I mean, that's such a weird place to start releasing season sets.
Yes with an if and no with a but. I never liked their releases of seasons 10 and 11. Over 50 bucks for 10 half hours? It's a cinch that's the reason we haven't seen more. Imagine if they released the 30 episodes from season 1? OUCH!

Of course, I'm thinking that was release for teachers to buy for students. I've seen other DVD in the classroom prices. 30 bucks for an episode of Bill Nye! A SINGLE episode! And all it came with is a crappy study guide. I think I said that before. But honestly, no wonder schools have horrible budget problems. The Text books and teaching materials are insanely priced.

Think I said that before, though....

But they got 10 episodes of Postcards are Lackluster for 5 bucks through Mill Creak. They have some deal with Cookie Jar to release low cost DVD sets. Too bad Arthur doesn't get that treatment. They got all 65 episodes of Bravestarr on DVD for 20 bucks. Collecting Arthur episodes the same way would be easier. And it would help against the freaking internet piracy they whine about that takes down YTP's.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
"Postcards are Lackluster" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Good one!

Well, as for that set, isn't Mill Creak sort of an "off-brand" studio anyway? It seems like all of their DVD sets automatically go to that five dollar discount bin at Walmart anyway... I know a few years ago, they released "The Essential Ernest Collection", which had the last two Ernest movies, the TV special Hey, Vern! It's My Family Album, and over a hundred of those old Ernest commercials... it was a good buy, though I still think an "essential" collection would include all of his movies, all of his commercials, etc.

Drtooth

Reaction score
"Postcards are Lackluster" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Good one!

Well, as for that set, isn't Mill Creak sort of an "off-brand" studio anyway? It seems like all of their DVD sets automatically go to that five dollar discount bin at Walmart anyway... I know a few years ago, they released "The Essential Ernest Collection", which had the last two Ernest movies, the TV special Hey, Vern! It's My Family Album, and over a hundred of those old Ernest commercials... it was a good buy, though I still think an "essential" collection would include all of his movies, all of his commercials, etc.
"The essential what we have the rights to collection!"

Mill creak is kinda off brand, but only in the sense it's always been a budget DVD producer. They're selling seasons of Third Rock from the Sun for (get this) 5 bucks each... BUT they're uncut editions, unlike the 30 dollar ones in the fancy boxes that had the syndication edits. Sigh... if only Mill Creak could get the rights to ALF from Lionsgate. We'd probably get both the cartoon series in a huge set for chum change too.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They're selling seasons of Third Rock from the Sun for (get this) 5 bucks each... BUT they're uncut editions, unlike the 30 dollar ones in the fancy boxes that had the syndication edits.
Yeesh. Syndication edits... that ain't right...

I mean, other shows like Seinfeld and Everybody Loves Raymond, etc have the little cuts; the Seinfeld sets even acknowledge thaton their packages as "special features": the additional 1-2 minutes worth of footage not seen since their original broadcasts... but isn't this sad? I mean especially nowadays considering it's my understanding that half-hour shows without commercials aren't going to be 21 minutes anymore, but rather, 18 1/2.