1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Are the Muppeteers on salary or paid by appearance?

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Avilos, Apr 10, 2012.

Buy the Muppets Most Wanted Blu-ray and Save 43%!

1. Avilos

Avilos Member

Does anyone know? I don't need to know actual wages. I am just been curious.

Given the huge amount of appearances the Muppets make. From actual feature films and television movies or specials. Guests on talk shows. Commercials. Promotions for all these projects. Plus other things I am not thinking off.

That is a huge commitment of time.
  2. zoebell

zoebell Active Member

i kinda wondered that too. i assumed it was for appearances
  3. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Whenever they puppeteer the singing food, they get a celery.

...and Muppet Fish performers work for scale.
  4. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Haha! I know when Jim was performing Ploobis he worked to rule.
  5. Avilos

Avilos Member

6. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

The Muppet performers have been considered freelancers since the days of Jim Henson. This means they are given short-term contracts to cover a certain amount of work for a specific amount of time. The Muppets are in greater demand right now so I suspect that Disney has probably configured some sort of pay-or-play contract with key performers in order to make sure they're available for appearances that might pop up. However, someone like Kevin Clash has other executive duties with Sesame Workshop so his contract is probably different. In fact, each individual performer's contract is likely negotiated through a different agent so there's no way of knowing how each one varies. The life of an artist is not usually one of guaranteed work or a continuous salary. That can present many challenges. I hope this answered your question.