Anything Muppets choose up teams

SesameMike

Reaction score
A bunch of Anything Muppets (plus a monster or two?) were in some outdoors setting and were trying to determine a criteria with which to choose up teams.

We hear some random chatter, one voice suggests the folks with the longer hair go on one team. Finally, one person pipes up (Jim Henson?) that some of them have letters on their sweaters and some have numbers, and suggests they divide teams based on that. First he himself observes his alphanumeric status and goes to one side. Then they go over each Muppet one-by-one, and the same one says either "(Then you) come on this team over here" or "that team over there". Once the teams, I think 3-on-3 have been divided, a small kid muppet with a Farley voice protests

"All the big guys are over there, and all the little guys are overe here. That's not right."

The person who divided up the teams quickly answers "it all depends on what game we're playing."

A third muppet inquires "what game ARE we playing?", realizing they had chosed up teams without even deciding that.

We then heard several voices suggest games; one guy with a Frank Oz voice yells "tackle football" (someone on the "big" team no doubt). Finally, one person suggests a game which brings on overwhelming and unanimous approval, and the Muppets appear to set about playing it. Does anyone remember what the game was? If no one knows, I'll post it tomorrow.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
"Maybe Tiddlywinks?"

This sketch can be found in show #1093. Also, the only monster in the sketch was Herry.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Yes, all the little guys had numbers, (3,4,5, and 6) and the big guys had letters (E,L,R, and V)
I love the Frank Oz character who comes charging up
"Okay, okay, it's time for me!"
Jim's character: "What do you have?"
Frank: "Oh, I don't know. I THINK it's an 'E'". That was too funny. :smile:

Then after the teams are divided up:

Jerry: "Hey! All the big guys are on that side, and all the little guys are on this side. That's not fair!"

Jim: "Well, that all depends on what game we're playing".
Jerry: "Oh! Well what game are we playing?"
JIM: "TUG OF WAR!!!" (All the big guys laugh, all the little guys shaking in their boots)

Jerry: "Um, how 'bout checkers?"
Frank: "No, how 'bout tackle football? HAHAHAHAHA!!!"
Jim, in a very meek voice: ".... um, maybe tiddlywinks?"

And ALL the big guys go crazy over the idea of playing tiddlywinks instead of
beating up the little guys.

Frank: "I GOT THE TIDDLIES!!!!!" :smile:

Xerus

Reaction score
I always loved that skit. And it seemed like Frank and Jerry were doing lots of voices in that skit while Jim performed the leader of the big guys.

"How about the ones who wear the longest hair go on one side?" I guess Herry would go on that team.

Rosewood

Reaction score
I remember that skit!

Xerus said:
I always loved that skit. And it seemed like Frank and Jerry were doing lots of voices in that skit while Jim performed the leader of the big guys.

"How about the ones who wear the longest hair go on one side?" I guess Herry would go on that team.
I remember that skit, too. And I've been meaning to bring it up, but something always seems to sidetrack me. I'm glad someone finally did! I think it's amazing the way some SS fans are able to tell who is performing a muppet just by listening to their voice. I'm sure if I listened long enough, I'd be able to do the same. I can presently hear the similarity in the voice of Grover and Fozzie Bear, and a few other similarities as well. But, to all you muppet fans who can hear the voice of a muppet and tell who is behind it, I give a hats off to you! Mabey someday I'll get to that point.:smile:

Xerus

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
I remember that skit, too. And I've been meaning to bring it up, but something always seems to sidetrack me. I'm glad someone finally did! I think it's amazing the way some SS fans are able to tell who is performing a muppet just by listening to their voice. I'm sure if I listened long enough, I'd be able to do the same. I can presently hear the similarity in the voice of Grover and Fozzie Bear, and a few other similarities as well. But, to all you muppet fans who can hear the voice of a muppet and tell who is behind it, I give a hats off to you! Mabey someday I'll get to that point.:smile:
I've been watching Sesame Street all my life and those Muppet voices are always familiar. In fact, whenever I read my Sesame Street books, I always imagined the voices of Jim, Frank, Jerry, and Richard coming out of those illustrated Muppets along with the extra unnamed characters in the books.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Pictures of this following sketch will be featured soon on Muppet Monster Database so stay tuned for that! :smile:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
That's a pretty good sketch. I've got the video clip somewhere....:smile:

Censored

Reaction score
I love the way Sesame Street used to put in some realism in its skits like a bunch of big guys wanting to pick on little guys, but then had a resolution that worked for everyone.

It reminds me of a situation that happened in my freshman year at high school in P.E. class. The school was well known for its football team, but we weren't supposed to play tackle football at regular P.E. without the proper equipment. Someone suggested that we play touch football. One big and very aggressive boy said, "I don't wanna play touch! TOUCH FUDGE!(That last word was not his actual word. LOL) I wanna play TACKLE!" We wound up playing tackle, but we took a big chance on possibly getting hurt and/or getting in trouble. For some reason, no one suggested playing Tiddlywinks instead; probably wouldn't have appeased that big guy anyway. :smile: