Anticipating the TP Jerry Nelson interview!

ToughPigsJoe

Reaction score
Hi everyone, thanks for reading our interview with Jerry Nelson!

Regarding a few of the issues you all brought up in this thread: I only had a few hours to sit down and talk with Jerry, so I couldn't get into the more obscure characters like Featherstone and the like (and I thought it was more important to get to characters like Lew Zealand and Mumford). I did ask about a few that didn't make it into the final version of the interview, but Jerry either had very little to say about the character or he couldn't remember who the character was (which makes sense, since he's performed so many).

I also wanted to make the interview more universal than for just fans like you and me, which is why I covered the "How did you become a puppeteer" type of questions. Aside from the die-hard fans, not many people have seen the MC interview or the Muppet Wiki articles, so I felt that the basic information was important to record.

Here are the links to the interview for anyone who hasn't seen it yet:
http://www.toughpigs.com/a-chat-with-jerry-nelson-part-1/
http://www.toughpigs.com/a-chat-with-jerry-nelson-part-2/
http://www.toughpigs.com/a-chat-with-jerry-nelson-part-3/

And we've got a few more great interviews coming up soon, so keep an eye out!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I read over the interview in its fullness and I really thought you did bring out some gold nuggets.

1. I think a lot of us where under the impression that Jerry gave up doing Sunffy because of back problems. In the interview he really loved doing Snuffy, and if he was not so commited to the Muppet Show might still be doing the voice at least.

2. The fact that Disney went to him and asked how he felt about doing his Muppets, and that how he pointed them to Matt Volgel.

3. The story of him doing some writeing for the SNL skit, I have season one so I'm going to have to re watch that to see it. I wonder if he ever wanted to do more writeing after that one.

4. The fact that him and Richard where the ones who came up with the idea of the two headed Monster, that was pure funny right there.

Jerry is a really cool guy, and I'm glad we (you all) had the chance to talk with him. Now we really need to get a hold of Matt Volge and Eric Jackabson them two need to really have a good interview.

Beauregard

Reaction score
It was an awesome interview. Thanks so much for sharing!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Regarding a few of the issues you all brought up in this thread: I only had a few hours to sit down and talk with Jerry, so I couldn't get into the more obscure characters like Featherstone and the like (and I thought it was more important to get to characters like Lew Zealand and Mumford).
You only had a few hours... But it feels like the whole interview lasts under 30 minutes. I don't really think of Featherstone as being that obscure... Granted, he's never been a big part of any Henson television series, and his two best-known appearances are in specials that haven't been broadcast or commercially available in over ten years, but I would guess that he's better known than Fleet Scribbler or Little Jerry (though I like those characters a lot better).

Beauregard

Reaction score
...Seriously, Minor, when you get an interview with Jerry Nelson, please do get back to us with a much more in depth version...In the meantime, let's just enjoy what's actually there shall we? Goodness sake man...

Super Scooter

Reaction score
You only had a few hours... But it feels like the whole interview lasts under 30 minutes. I don't really think of Featherstone as being that obscure... Granted, he's never been a big part of any Henson television series, and his two best-known appearances are in specials that haven't been broadcast or commercially available in over ten years, but I would guess that he's better known than Fleet Scribbler or Little Jerry (though I like those characters a lot better).
Little Jerry's much bigger than Featherstone. Featherstone didn't sing a dozen songs and have his own album. And I always thought Featherstone was an awfully dull character anyway. I don't see why you would ask Jerry about a character he seemed to have very little fun performing.

Great interview, Joe! How exciting that you got to spend some time talking to Jerry!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I think it's amazing just to be able to sit down and talk with anyone who has or is still working with the Muppets. They are so friendly and good to us fans that we should be greatful for all they do for us.

Drtooth

Reaction score
2. The fact that Disney went to him and asked how he felt about doing his Muppets, and that how he pointed them to Matt Volgel.
I really hope that part of the interview sticks with Muppet fans... I really think that was an important question that had an equally poignant answer. The thing that I liked wasn't just that Disney went directly to him, but took advice from him on character recasts. After the whole "Kismet the Toad" fiasco, I'm glad we got an inside voice about character recasting.

I also want to point out... YES... he had a problem with the director of MFS too. Not a major one, but he does touch upon the fact that it felt off. I will go to the mat saying that the movie was the fault of the director, and now I have yet another example of what was off about the film.

But all and all, a cracking good read, and it must have been a real pleasure and honor to be able to have interviewed him.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I really hope that part of the interview sticks with Muppet fans... I really think that was an important question that had an equally poignant answer. The thing that I liked wasn't just that Disney went directly to him, but took advice from him on character recasts. After the whole "Kismet the Toad" fiasco, I'm glad we got an inside voice about character recasting.

I also want to point out... YES... he had a problem with the director of MFS too. Not a major one, but he does touch upon the fact that it felt off. I will go to the mat saying that the movie was the fault of the director, and now I have yet another example of what was off about the film.

But all and all, a cracking good read, and it must have been a real pleasure and honor to be able to have interviewed him.
Well i can agree with you that I think Disney did the right thing with Jerry, and his Muppets. I think that is something that really does need to hit home with some fans. The kermit the toad did leave a bad taste in peoples mouth.
I also think to not have Brian or Frank direct Muppets from Space was a bad idea, and it really hurt the movie.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
When Jerry Nelson said to buy his album at the end of the interview, does anybody know whether he was joking or if he's actually releasing an album? I haven't heard anything about an actual Jerry Nelson album. In fact, while many fans have mentioend that he has a seperate music career outside of the Muppets, I don't think I've ever heard of any such Jerry Nelson albums or musical performances.