Another Jim Hill Muppet rant

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Why was the pitch reel cut? I did some digging and (unlike the folks at Jim Hill Media want you to think) it was for pure legal reasons - not Disney sensoring the Muppets and trying to make them more kiddie. It is not because Kermit says "****", it is because the CBS logo Kermit stands in front of is a trademark of CBS, and they didn't give Disney an OK to put it on the DVD. Now it is techniclly possible to digitly fit this (paint out the logo), but when it came down to it they just did not have the time or money left to do this to to the bonus feature (they were already pushing it with all the music rights, and what not). It is a shame it got cut, but it is a bonus feature (not the main feature) so we should be happy we got anything. There were some cuts made to the set due to legal reasons, but rather than get upset about the 10-minuets that Disney can not sell, be happy that there is over 610 minuets of Muppet fun now avalible on remastered DVD in a way we've never had before. The collection is great, it is not flawless, but it is still excellent and worth the money.

That Announcer

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
Why was the pitch reel cut? I did some digging and (unlike the folks at Jim Hill Media want you to think) it was for pure legal reasons - not Disney sensoring the Muppets and trying to make them more kiddie. It is not because Kermit says "****", it is because the CBS logo Kermit stands in front of is a trademark of CBS, and they didn't give Disney an OK to put it on the DVD. Now it is techniclly possible to digitly fit this (paint out the logo), but when it came down to it they just did not have the time or money left to do this to to the bonus feature (they were already pushing it with all the music rights, and what not). It is a shame it got cut, but it is a bonus feature (not the main feature) so we should be happy we got anything. There were some cuts made to the set due to legal reasons, but rather than get upset about the 10-minuets that Disney can not sell, be happy that there is over 610 minuets of Muppet fun now avalible on remastered DVD in a way we've never had before. The collection is great, it is not flawless, but it is still excellent and worth the money.
Thank you for reiterating what I've been saying all along. You're a great guy, Greg. :smile:

rumtar_10165

Reaction score
The Muppet Show Pitch reel

GelflingWaldo said:

I would agree it would make the dvd worth while. But The whole DVD of The Muppet Show is awsome. I am 40 yrs old and my wife and kids never saw the Entire Muppet Show Season 1 they saw the others but it was not like what it was when it first came out (most that they saw was only a handful of shows that aired on Nick.

When I saw the dvd it kinda made me feel like I was a child again. My kids laughed at the dvd and are still wathing it right now.

To those who nit-pick about the edits you shouln't. It still has the magic of the muppets. I can understand why certian songs was cut (I think Napster-vs-the artits had a hand in it) but Come on it's The Muppets that made the show along with the stars and the entire crew.

So buy the dvd not for the cuts, but for the love of the Muppets and enjoy the magic.

Signed a true Muppet Fan since 1969.

Ernie101

Reaction score
Wow, it's great to hear things like that from people who have been around since the show debuted. Being a new fan to TMS, I am excited at even being able to see the episodes.

So, naturally the cuts mean nothing to me now that I'm watching the magic.

beaker

Reaction score
I agre...if Disney was all about censoring material, they would have taken out the 'sex and violence' title from the pilot before Harry blows it up.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I got my Season One set in the mail yesterday. I showed the Pitch Reel to my friends, and unbeknownst to them had my Kermit puppet on hand. I showed it to them twice, the Pitch Reel. The first time, I showed it to them just as it appears on the DVD, and they laughed some. And THEN, I showed it again with my Kermit puppet walking up and saying his line. They cracked up the second time (I even did the scrunchy nose look). I really wish they could have digitally taken out the CBS logo to keep that Kermit line in the DVD, because it works so much better with that.

Ernie101

Reaction score
That's funny Fozzie. I haven't watched the pitch reel yet, I'll get their when I get their. Glad your enjoying the DVD though.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I'm really glad to hear that it was, in fact, legal complications. That, at least, can be blamed on outside forces. Overall, I think Disney has done a terrific job with what must have been a complicated set of rights to negotiate throughout the set. It's almost all there! I'm really glad to see the frist season openings, especially, because I don't think I've seen them since I was quite the tiny tot (with my eyes all a-glow).