Animated Films Eligable for Oscars

Drtooth

Reaction score
Since I'm probably the only one here who even liked Shrek, I'd say that Both Shrek and Monsters Inc were the best of the category. Jimmy Neutron, however (I borrowed it from someone, and I am actually looking forward to seeing it) was different. Though the Animation was okay, it was basically a preview for a cartoon show. it was not too elegable by those standards. I saw the cartoon show version, and I thought it was pretty good (possibly because Phillys Diller was in it, I dunno). But I take back most of the Rotten things I said about it.

Wildthornberries, I have to say looks good, but I cannot stand the show. I mean the Uncle and the wild kid are funny, the girl withglasses looks EXACTLY like the girl with glasses on recess.

beaker

Reaction score
It's funny you should mention anime, as where would Disney be without? From ripping off Kimba the White Lion to an unbelievable extent in 'The Lion King', to ripping off...err I should say b*stardizing the look of anime starting with Tarzan, Atlantis etc...

It is interesting to note how many anime naysayers are out there who stand behind Disney, when that company itself wouldnt be anywhere without it.

Though I should point out when anime started 50 years ago it was heavily influenced from Disney animation...so it all comes full circle.

Finally, for those who pass off anime as cheap big eye/speed line fodder...I point you to the astonishing Spirited Away, Blood the last Vampire, Metropolis, Akira, and Ghost in the Shell.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
It is interesting to note how many anime naysayers are out there who stand behind Disney, when that company itself wouldnt be anywhere without it.

Though I should point out when anime started 50 years ago it was heavily influenced from Disney animation...so it all comes full circle.

Finally, for those who pass off anime as cheap big eye/speed line fodder...I point you to the astonishing Spirited Away, Blood the last Vampire, Metropolis, Akira, and Ghost in the Shell.
Cory,

I'm no fan of Disney. Trust me on that one. And I think it's great that there's an exchange of styles, taking the best from both worlds to create something that's better/different than what's come before.

And I've seen Metropolis, Akira, and Ghost in the Shell, and enjoyed them all to an extent, but still stand by my previous comments. There are moments of brilliance (especially in storytelling) in all of the films you mentioned. I like them. I just don't "get into them."

One thing I WILL give Japan and their animators props for is that they've embraced the medium of animation as something that is for adults as well as children, so you have real dramas, sci-fi, different MOODS than we see in the U.S.' animated fare. The beauty of animation IMO is that you can show stories that have only been imagined before; it's a shame that Disney and other American animation studios confine the possibilities to kid's shows.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnn

GWGumby

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo
One thing I WILL give Japan and their animators props for is that they've embraced the medium of animation as something that is for adults as well as children, so you have real dramas, sci-fi, different MOODS than we see in the U.S.' animated fare. The beauty of animation IMO is that you can show stories that have only been imagined before; it's a shame that Disney and other American animation studios confine the possibilities to kid's shows.
Amen to that. It's sad that you can't even mention making something termed "adult" or "mature" without it either being "perverse" or "juvenile." Making "adult cartoons" just sounds bad. They need a term for broad audiences that can contain both audiences without playing down to either one.

Anyway, I think there's been a lot of progress in the US in the past 10 years with starting with Ren & Stimpy, Simpsons, and Beavis & Butthead and continuing on. Now there's Adult Swim gaining quite a bit of momentum on Cartoon Network. I think it's directly the result of us 25-30 year olds who haven't stopped watching cartoons. The same who haven't stopped playing video games and still collect toys. It will be interesting to watch the next 15 years and see where animation goes.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by GWGumby
I think it's directly the result of us 25-30 year olds who haven't stopped watching cartoons. The same who haven't stopped playing video games and still collect toys. It will be interesting to watch the next 15 years and see where animation goes.
Sadly I see the trend de evolving to almost unheard of prehistoric levels. Look at the cartoons that are all the rage: Spongebob, Power Puff Girls, Dexter's Lab...couple that with all the other horrific fauz Hana Barbara minimilist style and I see a distinct shift toward being as far from groundbreaking as possible. I think that's why I embrace cartoons like Invader Zim, Futurama, and classics like The Tick.

I think the current trend is though, blugeoning to the head
ADD insanity with cheap low budge animation.

kansasteen14

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
It's funny you should mention anime, as where would Disney be without? From ripping off Kimba the White Lion to an unbelievable extent in 'The Lion King', to ripping off...err I should say b*stardizing the look of anime starting with Tarzan, Atlantis etc...

is there ever ANY proof Disney ripped off Kimba the retarded lion? and It was more like Hamlet only with Animals.Also DIsney would still be here without Anime look at Snow White,Beauty and The Beast,Lilo and Stitch, Cinderella,Lady and The Tramp, and other movies Anime had NOTHING to do with them. I do think that the nominations should be Lilo, Ice Age, Treasure Planet, Spirited Away and Spirit. also Dr. Tooth have you seen Treasure Planet? its a great movie and the jokes are getting really boring.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Cartoons get nominated

About time,lol.There are so many cartoons year after year that deserve recognition.I think CGI animation should have its seperate category though,just my opinion.I wish people who did voice for cartoons/cgi were to get some recognition as well.-JaniceFerSure :attitude:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I agree, there ought to be a category for best voice work. Those people don't get the recognition they deserve. :attitude:
Erin