An Editorial: The State of the Muppets

beaker

Reaction score
hey! that is the cube thriller I saw...very low budget, one of those straight to video cheapies. Does this really have something to do with jh' cube stuff? hmmm

///beaker///
cubism, metropolitain, and avant garde

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
Ok i kinda deciphered the post (just)
Lucky you.

I'd be really scared if the Muppets started appearing on "juice boxes and snakes"!!!!

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
Re: Hummmmm...

Originally posted by Muppets1985
Now after reading that story about 3 times it has made me wonder...Yeah like Care Bears they come and go and sometimes i see a t-shirt or somthing of them but, there NOT big n e more & the Muppets, we NEED MORE Muppet stuff like movies and DTV's and cartoon's and old shows back on Tv and and well i could go on 4 ever witch brings me to Disney....

Disney IS NOT a bad company i mean EVERY company has it problems (Vicom, WB etc..) there NO anglies them selfs thay all so have DTV's too like a WB, look they have all them Dtv's of Scooby Doo, and Universal with there 10,000's Land before Time movies!. And i know what your going to say "Disney is cheap now a days and, they make Mupppets in to little kid stuff and get rid of Steve or Erica or who ever, and we'll see MTI 2 or 3 or 4 and bla bla bla..." But do we ALL REALLY know this is a fact, and YES i did noteis that Disney did trun the Muppet DTV's (sing a longs etc..) but that was back in the 90's this is NOW, 2002!! and Jim wanted the Muppets to be Disney and be part of the Disney family, that was Jim's dream, i mean shouldn't we want what Jim wanted back them?!. I for one is behind Disney to finlly get the Muppets 100% (but ya'll have know me for 1 year know so i think u know lol)

And know brings me to the Winnie the Pooh thing: I mean look at him you can't get away from the guy (bear) he's EVERY were from toys, close, UNDERWARE (LOL), video's DVD's, DTV's tv shows specials etc ect... and see the Muppet could have ALL that they'd be right up there with Mickey and Pooh and the "Disney Princess" line of thing, look they have cereal, and juice box's and snakes i mean would u like to wake up in there morning and have Muppet cereal of "Muppet munchies" (Disney has cereal of Mickey's magix, and Pooh's Hunny B's and Pixar cereal od Buzz Lighyear and little school lunch thing for kids and adults!) wand wouldn't u like to havs Muppet juice box to drink at work or school? i would.

..... well i better stop before i blow a tpo LOL.:smile: :wink:
Woah woah woah! Muppets1985, youve got some really great points here, some I agree with, but you've really gotta slow down man. If you've got something else to do (like you say), than do that first and THEN sit down and take your time to post. You had at least three to four words misspelled in every sentence. Just some constructive criticism if you want people to take your Muppets as Di$ney campaign seriously.

And, by the way, I dont think seeing the Muppets as part of the Di$ney family was always Jim's dream. But that's just me.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Re: Re: Hummmmm...

Originally posted by DarthGonzo

I dont think seeing the Muppets as part of the Di$ney family was always Jim's dream. But that's just me.
Very good point. We cannot know what plans Jim had in store for the Muppets. We know he was talking with Disney, but that is all we know.

Personally, I think he was interested in working with Disney more, or at least open to the possibility. I don't think he was planning to sell the Muppets to Disney out right. Before everyone jumps all over me, listen to my reasons: From the start, with Sam and Friends, Jim was exceedingly careful to maintain the rights to his work. This was long before that sort of thing was fashionable in television. Jane Henson talked about this at Muppet Fest; how unusual it was and how much forethought it showed. I just don't see Jim suddenly deciding to sign over the rights to the Muppets. Maybe if he was ready to retire, but even then it seems unlikely-- not with his kids coming into the business. Just my opinion.

Luke

Reaction score
Annika,

If you read Bernie Brillsteins autobiography, Jim's manager and one of his closest confidents does indeed say that Jim more or less agreed terms to sell JHC lock, stock and barrel to Disney. Jim even bought out Bernies shares in JHC to be able to do it. The figure was 100-150 million dollars plus extra for Jim to stay on and supply his 'personal services' in creative areas. It goes into about 10 pages of detail on the deal and the daily events that surrounded it.

Jim wanted to get out from being the boss, and also wanted Disneys power and money to be able to move in the creative direction he wanted. He wanted to do a 3D movie and at the time that wasn't cheap, and most of the other things he planned were effects driven so he realised JHC would never be able to fund all that. So anyway it was very much Jim's wish to sell to Disney - he actually brought about the deal himself through his New York lawyers rather than through his manager.

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
Annika,

So anyway it was very much Jim's wish to sell to Disney - he actually brought about the deal himself through his New York lawyers rather than through his manager.
Very good point. But Muppets1985 makes it sounds like everything and anything Jim did up until his death was supposed to lead up to the muppets becoming Di$ney property.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by DarthGonzo
Very good point. But Muppets1985 makes it sounds like everything and anything Jim did up until his death was supposed to lead up to the muppets becoming Di$ney property.
Sorry i hadn't read that far back, Muppets1985 gets kinda over-enthusiatic about Disney a lot of the time. No, obviously we all know it was never Jim's dream for JHC to be owned by Disney, there are enough interviews where Jim says first hand what his 'vision' is. The whole Disney thing was more of a decision made on a number of factors towards the end of his life.