"A tribute to Sherlock"

Rosewood

Reaction score
I remember, a long time ago, when Sherlock Hemlock used to get a few minutes of glory once in a while on the show. They actually used to show various muppets in situations where they would be in need of his expertise to solve a problem. They would be ready to give up when, suddenly, the old organ music would start to play, (Lum, da duddle de DU, dum!, Lum, da duddle de DU, dum!, LUM, da duddle de dum, da dum, da DU dum! Duddle de, duddle de, DUM!) Anyone could hear it, and, (especially if it was Ernie with the problem), would usually make a startled comment like "Wait! I hear dective music!" and, when the music stopped, Sherlock would make his grand entrance with his famouse opening line, "EEE, gad! Sherlock Hemlock, here! The world's greatest detective! What seems to be the trouble?"
At which point the person(s) would present him with the problem, Sherlock would put together the clues, and, (in most cases), would come up with an answer to their problem that would be a genuine mystery case, usually complete with mystery, plot, culprit, climax, and closure, and, when the case was solved, and the person he had solved it for would try to thank him, he would simply say something like "No need to thank me, I'm just doing my job." Does anyone out there have specific "case" memories thay would like to share? :smile:

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
It seems like in the early days Sherlock was always paired up with Ernie. It seemed like they were a regular duo for a while. They were even in a book together called The case of the Missing Duckie. After a while they went their seperate ways and Sherlock started appearing with Watson his dog and the whole Ernie/Sherlock thing was canned. I remember back in the 80's Sherlock Hemlock was seen on the street every once in a while. He was with Big Bird once when Big Bird had a stack of papers that where missing and Sherlock (with Big Bird's help of course) discovered they had been blown away. Another time Bob was waiting for Gordon outside his apartment because they were going to play Tennis and Sherlock came by and helped Bob figure out why he was late. In the end they both realized Bob was supposed to meet Gordon at the Tennis court, and NOT at his apartment and Bob was very upset and angry.

BEAR

Reaction score
For some reason, I can't think of any specific Sherlock Hemlock moments as clearly as I'd like, but I love the song he sings called "X Marks the Spot." I wish Jerry Nelson would bring the character back. His only regular character on Sesame Street these days is The Count.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Sherlock Hemlock should have helepd the cast look for Big Bird in Follow That Bird or help the cast find Elmo in Elmo In Grouchland (none of Jerry nelsons characters looked for Elmo).

Sherlock should have been in Do De Rubber Duck.

Does anybody know what year the Mysterious Theatre sketches were first seen?

Ziffel

Reaction score
The Sherlock Hemlock one that usually comes to mind first for me is the one at the beach with Ernie and Bert. It's pretty funny. Ernie is playing in the sand and without realizing it buried Bert up to his mouth. So Bert can only make muttering and grumbling sounds. Plus, he has his hat on over his head. So Ernie just sees Bert's hat and wonders where Bert is. Sherlock comes on the scene and solves the mystery. Ernie lifts the hat off and says, "Bert!". Then he rapidly shovels away all the sand around Bert. Bert thanks Ernie and Ernie says, "Oh don't thank me, Bert, thank Mr. Hemlock." Bert says, "Who?"
Ernie says, "Mr. Hemlock." Bert says, "Where?" Ernie looks over and sees that he has now buried Sherlock in the sand up to his hat too! Ernie exclaims, "Mr. Hemlock!" and starts furiously brushing the sand away. But we hear Bert sputtering and saying, "Hey watch where your throwing that sand, Ernie! Ernie!!" So poor Bert is going to be back in the same predicament!

Rosewood said:
They would be ready to give up when, suddenly, the old organ music would start to play, (Lum, da duddle de DU, dum!, Lum, da duddle de DU, dum!, LUM, da duddle de dum, da dum, da DU dum! Duddle de, duddle de, DUM!)
Good job with that music description, Rosewood! Reminds me of my kind of descriptions of how SS sound effects and music went! :smile:
I always liked that opening music for Sherlock Hemlock. Almost as good as the opening music for Lefty the Salesman. (Dum dum DUM DUM DUM DUM dum dum dum! ... )

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
I always liked the "Caveman Days" sketches where Ernie was the king and Sherlock was the "Royal Smart Person". I remember a couple of those. One, he invented the "Exit" sign so they would know where the door to outside was. He also invented the toothbrush(after inventing several other brushes, hair brush, paint brush).

SesameMike

Reaction score
I used to think that Sherlock Hemlock was saying "Eat that!" instead of egad when he arrived on the scene. And on that note:

One day, Ernie opened up a lunchbox and found half of his chicken salad sandwich. The other half was nowhere to be found, much to Ernie's dismay. SH arrives and tries to solve the mystery. First, SH admits that chicken salad is his favorite. Next, they comb the evidence for clues, and they find a button in the lunchbox. Ernie notices that the button belongs to Sherlock, at which point SH solves the case: SH himself ate the other half of the sandwich!

Ernie is so grateful that SH solved the mystery, that he asked how he could reward him. SH suggested with the remaining half of the sandwich. The skit ended with some music as Ernie made a "hey, something's amiss here" look.

Rosewood

Reaction score
"Remember this one?"

Here's a challenge to throw to you guys. Who remembers the one where a little boy walks by a house, looks at the ground, and notices various party things scattered about, such as baloons, wrapping paper, streamers, (possibly left-over cake) but, (most importantly) birthday cake candles. Speaking out loud to himself, he basically says something like "Gee, I wonder what happened here?" At which point, Sherlock makes his grand apearance and offers to "solve the mystery!"
The boy says "O.K." and Sherlock starts listing the clues: the baloons, the wraping paper, the streamers, (possibly the cake) but, (most importantly!), the candles! Taking all these things into concideration, he then comes up with the following answer: "There was a party here. But It wasn't just any old party; it was a Twiddlebug party, complete with baloons, streamers, preasants and all. But half way through the party, a big, hairy monster showed up, and, angry that he hadn't been invited, he began to pick up the candles and proceeded to throw them at the Twiddlebugs, at which point they all ran away, with the monster chasing after them! And there you have it: the reason why all these things are lying on the ground, but there is no one here!" The boy, in the mean time, is trying to take all this in, when the door to the house opens and a little girl comes out, greets the boy and tells him its her birthday today, and asks him if he would like to come play with some of her presents with her. The boy gives Sherlock a glance, shakes his head at him, and then proceeds to follow the girl into the house. Poor Sherlock just cant figure out how he possibly could have been so far off from the truth, and, puzzled and dejected, leaves the scene, (stage left). A few seconds of silence go by when, suddenly from across the screen, (stage right) a bunch of Twiddlebugs appear, along with a big, hairy monster (in fact I think it actually is Harry) who is throwing candles and cursing at them for not inviting him to the party! (at which point the clip ends.) :stick_out_tongue:

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I remember this skit very well and I also had a book of this skit believe it or not when I was really little. I had forgotten all about it until I read this thread. I love this place, a trip down Sesame Lane every day. Ahhhh Heaven.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Mickey Moose said:
I always liked the "Caveman Days" sketches where Ernie was the king and Sherlock was the "Royal Smart Person". I remember a couple of those. One, he invented the "Exit" sign so they would know where the door to outside was. He also invented the toothbrush(after inventing several other brushes, hair brush, paint brush).

YES i Loved that

i remebr he was in a book also to help find who trashed Praire daawns hosue i think