A Spanish word sounding like Gonzo

Splurge

Reaction score
You know, the Spanish word for "goose" is "ganso". And the way "ganso" is pronounced is almost a homonym for "Gonzo". (Just pronounce the "z" like "s" and you get "ganso." )

I wonder if this is just a cool coincidence, or maybe whether Gonzo was meant to be part goose? :concern:

This is just one of those things that makes you go Hmmmmmm......
It's also one of those things that makes others say, "You're spending too much time in your room!" :smile:

WiGgY

Reaction score
That is also the way Pepe pronounces Gonzo's name, I think. I didn't know it was an actualy word. :big_grin:

somethingofafan

Reaction score
The word "gonzo" was in use before the Muppet Show, meaning weird or bizarre. I don't know if there's any connection with the Spanish word, though.

Splurge

Reaction score
somethingofafan said:
The word "gonzo" was in use before the Muppet Show, meaning weird or bizarre. I don't know if there's any connection with the Spanish word, though.
That I also knew. And it may be that the English word "Gonzo" was all that was intended. But it sure sounds funny that the Spanish word for goose sounds like "gonzo", well almost. I'm inclined to believe the writers wasn't thinking of the spanish word for "goose" when they assigned a name to this former "Frackle" (Great Santa Claus Switch). But it is a funny coincidence. :smile: