A Nest Divided: A Sam the Eagle Story

newsmanfan

Reaction score
---------
A strawberry margarita? *suddenly hit with the scene from "Blue Velvet": "Heineken? F-- that s--! PABST BLUE RIBBON!"* ...anyway...

Wondering if Rowlf ever uses the old "gotta see a fire hydrant about a hookup" joke. Very popular among dogs of a certain age.

Good logic Rowlf ever-so-gently smacks Sam with: if you taught them right, have faith in them to DO right. Well said.

Cake-cart races! Kewl! *plunks down lawn chairs to watch*

-------------

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I had some problems writing this chapter, so I decided to scrap the second part of it, which would have been about shenanigans involving the script, and just focus on polishing the first part of it. So this chapter is shorter than most I've posted for this serial, but it works as a sort of interlude after the relative heaviness of the past two installments.

Chapter 15
"Did you like your dressing room, Miss Jones?"​

"Oh please, Walter, call me Rashida. We go way back, you know. Our crazy days on the Muppet set" Rashida Jones said, giving Walter a friendly slap on the back.​
"Okay, Rashida." Walter stretched out his back and grimaced slightly.​
"Sorry." She made a mental reminder to remember that her co-stars this week were significantly smaller than those she was normally used to.​
The two of them made their way down the stairs to the main area of the backstage at the Muppet Theater, which was quieter than usual. It was Tuesday morning on filming week, where the script was still being hammered out by Kermit and whoever else wanted to help out, and everyone else basically waited to come in until that night's pre-production meeting.​
It was then the perfect time for the guest star to get to see the Muppet Theater without having to fear for their lives. Scooter let Walter handle this task, as his services were needed in the script meetings. He was the fastest typer out of anyone in the gang, plus it was sort of hard to type with flipper-fingers, no matter how hard Kermit tried.​
"So here's the backstage. Kermit and Scooter run the show from that desk right there. It's the like the President's desk in the Oval Office, except probably messier."​
Before Rashida could even say anything in response, they were interrupted by a pile of plastic red roses being thrown up the stairs.​
"Hmmph! Last one! I cannot believe that no one would help me with zis! Just because I have four arms does not mean I can carry twice as much stuff, hokay. And the cashier would not give me a celebrity discount. She obviously is not watching the right channels!"​
"That's Pepe." Walter leaned over to Rashida as if to warn her instead of introduce her.​
"Hello Walter, Hello….hello!" Pepe was distracted at the sight of the woman in front of him, but recovered enough to throw himself at her.​
"Oh Miss Perkins! I do believe I have caught a fever at ze sight of your toned body! I need you to nurse me!"​
"Nurse me? That's a disgusting turn of phrase."​
"Treat me, whatever, hokay. I am so weak and feverish. I might need you to check my heart rate. Get the EKG ready!"​
Rashida tried to push Pepe off of her. "You do know Ann Perkins is just a character I play on TV, right? And the EKG machine? That's not a romantic image at all."​
"Sssh. Sssh. Ann, you can't play your silly games with me. I have tried everything before, from ze fake name to ze fake death to ze fake insurance card. I know all of it, hokay. No scheme gets past ol' Pepe."​
"How does having a fake insurance card get you a date?" Rashida scratched her head.​
"A sexy womans agreed to date me once if I paid for her root canal."​
"So someone went out with you for dental work? Wow."​
"Enough about Josephine; she's not here right now. I wants to talk about Ann!"​
She turned to face a stunned Walter. "He really thinks I'm my character from the show."​
"In his defense, you guys do film it like it's a documentary, talking to the cameras directly and stuff."​
"But…ugh. Where's Piggy when you need her? I could use one of her karate chops right now."​
"Nurse Ann! My fever is growing worse! I…I might need to take off my shirt." Pepe began to fumble with the sleeves on his turtleneck.​
"Please don't…please…it's not necessary at all…are you wearing a camisole under that shirt?"​
"This is so tight! I should have gotten a bigger size, I thinks. Is it stuck now? Ann Perkins, you're going to have to perform surgery on me, hokay?"​
Walter whispered to Rashida, "Now's our chance! Let's go!"​
The two of them snuck out of the backstage and down the hall, which led to a series of storage rooms and offices, where Beauregard happened to be vacuuming.​
"So do you get mistaken for your characters a lot by people?"​
"Not really, most people that recognize me know that what they see on TV isn't-"​
Beauregard dropped his vacuum in shock.​
"Oh my goodness! It's the woman from the TV network! Please don't cancel us please please don't please please!" He threw himself at the feet of Rashida Jones, pleading all the while.​
"So you were saying about people not mistaking you for your characters?", said Walter sheepishly.​
*************​
Parks and Recreation (the show featuring the character of Ann Perkins) is copyright to NBC. My sincerest apologies.​
Coming up next in Chapter 16: Sam talks to Matty, and could she be heading to Los Angeles as well?​

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
ha! It did take me a bit to get the Perkins joke, but then it dawned on me - completely forgot her character was a nurse - so I got it.

This is actually a pretty short chapter for you; Mup Cen apparently decides when and what I get notified on :mad: so I'm actually not sure if this follows the awards banquet or if I've missed a chapter or something.

But as always it's great :big_grin:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments! This does follow the awards banquet chapters, it's a sort of interlude before we get back to Sam and his adventures. I don't think you missed anything.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Sorry it's been awhile, but I think this is a good chapter. All song lyrics used in this chapter are copyright to David Gates.

Chapter Sixteen
"Baby I'm-a want you, baby I'm-a need you,​
you're the only one I care enough to hurt about​
maybe I'm-a crazy, but I just can't live without…"​
Rashida Jones stood alone on a dimly lit stage, singing quietly with the (for once) subtle backup of the Muppet orchestra. Who was she singing to? Was it the dashing Wayne? Was it the cute Fozzie Bear? Was it the suave host Kermit?​
No. It was the manly Sweetums.​
"….your lovin' and affection, giving me direction​
like a guiding light to help me through my darkest hour​
lately I'm-a prayin'​
that you'll always be a-stayin' beside me…"​
He had been agitating to get on stage more, and Rashida Jones was game, so Kermit and Scooter helped devise a number that showed off his husky vocals to their fullest power.​
Kermit sat at his desk off-stage and smiled. "You know, this could actually go pretty well."​
One person who was not a fan of this ersatz duet pairing was Sam, who happened to walk backstage as they hit the bridge.​
"used to be my life was just emotions passing by​
feeling all the while and never really knowing why"​
"Kermit, I knew this was a freakshow but this is just OUTRAGEOUS! Sweetums cannot sing! His voice sounds like a coffee grinder! He has the dance moves of a wild yak! This is bringing down the show by the second!"​
"If it makes you feel any better, we wouldn't let him sing "Le Freak" by Chic. Thought that song was a little too risqué."​
"That is small consolation. I think I need to take a shower after hearing that song. And I am being generous by calling that a song."​
Sam stalked off back down the hall, past the nearly empty canteen and to the cast dressing rooms, where he was met by an irritated Scooter.​
"Do you think you could wake Zoot up for me? I've tried everything short of setting the fire alarm off and he won't budge! I poured water on his face, screamed at him, played Kenny G, everything! Nothing worked!"​
"Well….uh….I don't have time for this! Where is my telephone! I'm expecting a very important telephone call and can't be bothered."​
Scooter, who had his back turned by now, silently pointed a finger at the coffee table, where his phone rested on a stack of Historian Monthly.​
"Thank you."​
Sam stalked out of the dressing room only to find himself flying into Beauregard, who was absent-mindedly pushing his janitor's cart down the hall. Phone, cleaning supplies, feathers and fur went everywhere.​
"Sorry Sam! I didn't mean to be in your way! Sorry!"​
"You need to watch where you are going!"​
"Sorry! Here, let me get your phone for you. Oh! I think it's ringing. I'll answer it for you."​
"No you don't need to do that-"​
Beau answered the phone anyway.​
"Hello. No, this is Beauregard. Sam's sitting next to me. Anything you want me to tell him?"​
"Give me that!" Sam snatched the phone out of Beau's hand and made his way to the theater's office section, which was generally silent during tapings.​
"I am sorry about that Matty. That lump grabbed my phone after he tripped me."​
"Don't be so harsh on Beauregard! He helped you fix your car last time I was in Los Angeles."​
"I could have easily solved the issue had it not been so hot out. You know I can't work well when I'm sweaty."​
"You almost put motor oil in the spot for wiper fluid if I seem to remember correctly, and Beau had to show you what to do."​
"The sun got in my eyes! Merely a simple mistake."​
"Whatever you say, dear. Now how have you been? I've heard you had a rough time of it the other yesterday at the benefit dinner."​
Sam instantly became defensive. "And who told you that?"​
"Our children, they were texting me the whole time during the dinner."​
"Well…well…I was beset with some rough conversation partners in the Three Stool Pigeons. It wasn't for them it would have been a great night."​
"I don't think it was their fault."​
"How would you know? Were you there?"​
"I talked to Janice about it."​
Sam nearly dropped his phone in shock. "You? You talked to Janice?"​
"We're friends on Facebook."​
"Social media has never lead to anything good, you know."​
"Don't change the subject on me. Look, Sam, they were saying the same thing I've been telling you since they were in kindergarten! You've got to have more faith in the children."​
"I'm just looking after their best interests! There's nothing wrong with protecting your children!"​
"They're adults!"​
"That may be true, but they're still our children! Are you saying we shouldn't look out for them anymore?"​
Matty took a minute before answering. "You're making this a black and white issue and it's not. If they were making truly terrible decisions, like taking up drugs or committing a crime, then yes, we would have to step in and make them do the right thing. But when it comes to smaller decisions, they've earned the right to make their own choices. This is what you raise your children to do, and what we've done since we hatched their eggs."​
"But…but…well…how do I know when to not say something?"​
Sam always stuttered a bit before saying something he was unsure of. "It's hard, Sam, I know. I think it's just trial and error."​
"That's not my preferred method for doing things."​
"I think you're more flexible than you think you are."​
"Hopefully you're right."​
"Sam, it's going to be all right. I know it will be."​
"Thanks Matty."​
"You're welcome."​
An awkward pause filled the air for what seemed like an eternity, until Sam decided to force things in another direction.​
"So onto more important things now. It's the fall season now, and leaves are falling. Have you cleaned out the gutters yet?"​
"Yes, Sam, I have. A very nice owl who lives down the street came and helped me."​
"An owl! You best be careful!"​
"Sam! Don't be speciesist. It's not becoming."​
"Sorry."​
"Apology accepted."​
**********​
Coming up next in Chapter Seventeen: When Sam goes to "help" Rowlf and Hillary at the middle school, will he make it out of there with dignity intact?​

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, thank you. I have had just about the most emotionally draining and taxing week ever, and your story made me smile on the inside. Come to think of it, this has happened more than once... Funny coincidence. Personally, the preview alone would have made it worth it. If Sam survives the next chapter, he will probably be subject to premature molting.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
:sing: Put me down for $5 on Sam not making it! *Raspy laugh.

Thank you for posting, and just when I thought this fic was going to go the way of the Smoke Monster.
:smile: How's that?
:embarrassed: The answer my frog,is a-blowin' in the wind.

theSHE124

Reaction score
I've been reading this for like 3, maybe 4 times now? I gotta say, this is one awesome story you're working on, Charlie! :smile: Cake-cart races, Rocky Raccoon, grocery store rampage, giant silver hammer, and all centered around a real moment from TMS!! :attitude: Can't wait to see how it'll all end. Keep it up, Owlman! :excited: