80's Robot

Yorick

Reaction score
that one from the horrible takes you out of the moment sequence from Rocky 4 (all I'm saying... that's something that should happen in a Saturday Morning Cartoon, not a movie that's realistic fiction).
That clears up why you're not a fan of that robot. I thought it was because it screamed 80's, but my view is that 80's entertainment (and robots!) rocked, so I see nothing for the folks behind the film to be ashamed of (and Rocky 4 is my favorite as I may have said before). But I guess you like 80's robots; you just didn't think he fit the scene. But hey, Rocky bought it for Pauly, right? He had the money to. (I know that's off topic, sorry.)

Drtooth

Reaction score
That clears up why you're not a fan of that robot. I thought it was because it screamed 80's, but my view is that 80's entertainment (and robots!) rocked, so I see nothing for the folks behind the film to be ashamed of (and Rocky 4 is my favorite as I may have said before). But I guess you like 80's robots; you just didn't think he fit the scene. But hey, Rocky bought it for Pauly, right? He had the money to. (I know that's off topic, sorry.)
I was watching up to that point in the movie, and it took me completely out of the scene. Somehow, that reminded me of the sequence from Family Guy where they're watching Rocky 6, and he's going to fight a spaceman on the moon or something. Considering where the first Rocky came from, it was a movie of stark reality and you really felt you were there. Even with Rocky 3, where the series already became commercial and Rocky "sells out" and has to fight a new comer. That's real and believable. Now, I can buy into the premise that Rocky has to fight some Russian for some American pride thing, and I can buy that he keeps buying Paulie stuff for some reason... but that robot was more at home in something a lot more fictitious. I don't think Robotics technology was even near that in that time period.

It's not that I don't like the robot, I just don't like the fact the movie went from gritty realism to Mac n' Me or something with that sequence.

But then again Rocky 3's better anyway... It has Muppets and Mr. T in it! :smile:

Yorick

Reaction score
Good explanation! :big_grin: I like "Mac & Me" (but that's another thread, if I really wanted to explain why it doesn't deserve any of the criticism it gets, in my opinion) but Rocky 3 is my 2nd favorite Rocky, and Mr. T is the man! I must rewatch for that Muppets cameo :confused: I can't believe I forgot it!

muppetperson

Reaction score
My quest has now changed to get one of these robots...

Can anyone recognise what it is and which restaurant it came from?

beaker

Reaction score
I remember going to an Apple store in 1984 and seeing several of those big "80's Robots"(like 3 feet tall or something) roaming around as some sort of demo. Back then, they had us kids think every home would have a robot in 10 years(ha!)

robodog

Reaction score
There have been several attempts to market home robots. The problem is no one can get them at a price point the average person can afford. The most successful attempt would be Sony's Aibo. But with the cheapest one being about $800 ultimately there weren't as many takers as Sony wanted and Aibo was canned. I used to collect stuff like this.