1969 backdrops

matthewxel

Reaction score
Hey, how come in 1969-70, the Muppet would only have a beige-colored backdrop and a brick wall? Were there any other skits that didn't have the biege backround with a brick wall?

I know in "Octopus' Garden" it was a blue undersea backdrop, completed with seaweed flowing around.

Splurge

Reaction score
matthewxel said:
Hey, how come in 1969-70, the Muppet would only have a beige-colored backdrop and a brick wall? Were there any other skits that didn't have the biege backround with a brick wall?

I know in "Octopus' Garden" it was a blue undersea backdrop, completed with seaweed flowing around.
My basic theory of why that background was probably a way to save on $$$. And as Jim himself said, they initially figured the show would last a few seasons, at most.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
now why would Jim think such a stupid thing? i mean there's no telling how long anykind of TV show will last but at least with an educational show you would at least hope it would last a long time compared to a regular commercial TV show.

Mark The Shark

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
now why would Jim think such a stupid thing? i mean there's no telling how long anykind of TV show will last but at least with an educational show you would at least hope it would last a long time compared to a regular commercial TV show.
"Sesame Street" was intended as an experiment. In fact, originally, it wasn't even known if there would be more than one season. My mother tells a story about a neighbor of ours telling her that she was upset about a rumor she'd heard that one of her kids' favorite shows was being taken off the air. The show was "Sesame Street." My mother said "my kids watch it too." It turned out that *everryone's* kids watched it, and it stayed on the air.

"Jim thought such a stupid thing" because that's probably what he had been told when CTW hired him in the first place. But then the show was a hit, and everything changed. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And now here it is 35 years later and they're still making new seasons of Sesame Street. Alot of today's backdrops are like in a park, except for "Global Grover" which takes place in front of a miniature street.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Mark The Shark said:
"Sesame Street" was intended as an experiment. In fact, originally, it wasn't even known if there would be more than one season. My mother tells a story about a neighbor of ours telling her that she was upset about a rumor she'd heard that one of her kids' favorite shows was being taken off the air. The show was "Sesame Street." My mother said "my kids watch it too." It turned out that *everryone's* kids watched it, and it stayed on the air.

"Jim thought such a stupid thing" because that's probably what he had been told when CTW hired him in the first place. But then the show was a hit, and everything changed. :smile:
i still don't understand. i mean no one who creates TV shows of anykind knows if their show will be a success. unless they planned it to be on a short period of time.

Censored

Reaction score
matthewxel said:
I think in 1969-1970, they had a better concept that "less could be more". Some of the finest skits were done on those simple backdrops and it resembled the format of old fashioned puppet shows. These days, everyone thinks elaborate backgrounds and special effects make something good. It's just not true. If a muppet skit is entertaining and educational, no fancy background or special effects are necessary. If the skit is a flop, no fancy background or special effects can save it.

ssetta

Reaction score
Actually, it's interesting you brought that up. Because about a year or two ago, something told me that Sesame Street was not going to last much longer. Because it was not doing very well at all. But I have been told that the population has really grown, because the new format is sticking on.

But sadly, I have heard from a lot of people, that it wouldn't be such a big deal for little kids if it went off the air, because there are several other kids shows for them. And that's partially the reason why SS isn't that popular anymore. It actually makes me sad to hear that kids don't like Sesame Street. :frown:

Censored

Reaction score
ssetta said:
Actually, it's interesting you brought that up. Because about a year or two ago, something told me that Sesame Street was not going to last much longer. Because it was not doing very well at all. But I have been told that the population has really grown, because the new format is sticking on.

But sadly, I have heard from a lot of people, that it wouldn't be such a big deal for little kids if it went off the air, because there are several other kids shows for them. And that's partially the reason why SS isn't that popular anymore. It actually makes me sad to hear that kids don't like Sesame Street. :frown:

If Sesame Street would get its own identity back and stop trying to copy off of other trendy shows, it would once again stand out among the others.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
ssetta said:

well there are many other shows for pre- schoolers whether on PBS or elsewhere. always has been. so what do you mean?