17 Things Kermit has done that are worse than living in a mansion.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I really think you should consider withholding your opinions on this one until you actually see the movie. By then, the joke will be in proper context. :wisdom:
Um, if I'm wrong I'll admit it. But I won't withhold my opinion just because you don't like it.

terrimonster

Reaction score
The difference is the Rowlf joke humorously implies something. The joke in this new movie just throws a cheap laugh at you.

"I hate a dirty joke I do, unless it's told by someone who knows how to tell it." --Groucho Marx

In the case of this new movie, someone did not know how to tell it. :wink:

No I'm not saying the whole movie will automatically be bad, just critiquing a line. :smile:
I didn't like it at first, but I really don't mind it. I wouldn't say they didn't know how to tell it, but I would agree that it could have been done differently. I think it would have worked just as well if Fozzie had said, "Check out my shoes!" or just "Check it out!" while omitting the fart line (or any substitution) altogether. But like I said, for me it still works OK.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
but I would agree that it could have been done differently. I think it would have worked just as well if Fozzie had said, "Check out my shoes!" or just "Check it out!"
Exactly, if they had done that, it wouldn't have been just a cheap laugh.

TSSD

Reaction score
Um, if I'm wrong I'll admit it. But I won't withhold my opinion just because you don't like it.
I don't think he's telling you to have no opinion about it so far, but just to remember first that this isn't in the right context. For all we know, it could be in the same context as the first trailer it was in, mocking that type of humor, and saying that The Muppets shouldn't resort to that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
For all we know, it could be in the same context as the first trailer it was in, mocking that type of humor, and saying that The Muppets shouldn't resort to that.
I still wouldn't think it was a well executed joke. :wink:

I don't think he's telling you to have no opinion about it so far, but just to remember first that this isn't in the right context
If I misunderstood the comment, I apologize.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Maybe I can explain it better. We truthfully do not know the full context of the Fart Shoes joke. Given the track record with modern movies, the fear is that it is being used to get cheap laughs and draw in the "Dur hur...he said fart. Heeheheheheheheheh" Beavis and Butt-Head people. I personally dont find any fart jokes funny, even tastefully done, but I dont have a problem with them. Its the jokes of the cheap laugh variety I hate.

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
This is, by far, the best thing to come out of... particular recent news stories. To accompany it, I bring this out:

http://themuppetmindset.blogspot.com/2011/10/so-you-think-muppets-are-above-fart.html
Yeah, both of these articles were great- it really pointed out that the Muppets are not perfect, nor are they meant to be...Kermit actually said it really well during his press interviews in Toronto this week when he said the Muppets are really successful failures: Fozzie is a comedian but a lot of the times is not funny when he tries to be...Piggy is an actress but sometimes can't really act, etc. Love the whole idea of really successful failures-totally works with the Muppets- they set out to do something and they don't always succeed- but they don't go down without a fight and they do some fantastic and hilarious stuff along the way!

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Not directly related to that, but at least they almost gave Oz credit for saying that he didn't want to make a big deal of it. I really think he was trying to be diplomatic, but now he's made to look like the bad guy.
I absolutely love and admire Frank Oz, but he brought the whole bad guy thing on himself by making the comment he did to reporters. He could have just said, " I turned the new movie down, I've deciding to keep pursuing my current directing projects" or something like that. There was no reason for him to add the comment about whatever early version of the script he saw for him to answer the interviewer's question. He chose to answer that way and even though he said he didn't want to be a sourpuss and discredit the movie, that's exactly what he did and one some level he had to know it would.