Muppets on Late Night, Blooper Reels and Wrap Tapes

mupcollector1

Reaction score
When they showed the Jim Henson interview when he was promoting MTM I started to get teary eyed. :cry:
Aw yes, I noticed that was his appearance on The Today Show "We're not trying to make entertainment for children or for adults, we just want to make good entertainment." and how he was taking about how it's sad that there isn't any G rated films anymore and how you can be entertaining without sex or violence. I think that was the internet. I got that on DVD. I'm not sure if it played the Kermit appearance afterword when he asked the critic "How's your sex life" because I think that appearance was the day after Jim's interview. lol I have both back to back then the one about Jim explaining NBC's Muppet Pipes. I'm still amazed that prank from the crew still exists. If anyone doesn't know the story about The Muppet pipes, Jim, Frank and Don Salhin were doing a Muppet performance at a show on NBC I'm not sure if it was Jack Parr or not but they had time to kill so he found a closet of pipes and started to paint them and decreate them and the plan was they were going to keep it secret and have someone discover them. They got caught and the person who worked in the studio said "Okay that's very cute, don't worry about it, we'll paint it over tomorrow" and now it's a legacy that still exists today. :smile:

Vincent L

Reaction score
Do you consider that a prank? To me, it's just a "I got really bored and did this" thing.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Yeah that was never considered a prank they were bored waiting to waiting go on the Jack Parr show and they painted the pipes. That was NOT a prank. When Kermit was on Jimmy Fallon lat year promoting The Muppets he explained and showed everyone the pipes.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Well from what I remember, the Muppet crew got to NBC really early and the person there told them that they weren't needed until night time so they asked about a dressing room and they got there and they figure they show up early so they can repair the puppets a little bit and fix spots that were a little warn out so it didn't show on TV. So they had The Muppets with them and some sowing kits and extra materials. And they were just looking around the dressing room, opened up the closet, seen the pipes and laughed so they felt a little energized and silly about having a little bit of fun with the pipes, so Jim asked Don Salhin to run down to a store to buy a set of paints. And from what I remember Jim saying, they weren't going to tell anyone, they were going to just sneak out after their performance. Notice somewhere on the pipes "With love from The Muppets" lol

I can't find the 1984 TV appearance of Jim and that movie critic guy (forgot his name)

But I know there was a recent appearance with Frank Oz with The pipes as well as some promotion for the new Muppet movie with it as well. I've even seen one with Walter looking at the pipes saying that it's like looking at his ancestors and looking at accent history. lol

Did anyone know about this, NBC has a T-shirt of it now
http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/jim-henson-historic-pipes-youth-t-shirt/detail.php?p=296073

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Still it was not a prank they just basically did it out of boredom.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I'll take it from the Frog's mouth, they were bored when they did it. :smile: lol "I told them no, don't do it it's vanalizm, I told them not to do it but they did it anyway" HA HA HA, I love that. lol
I don't know if I ever told the pipe story to my best friend, I'm probably going to when I see him next weekend. lol
Thanks for sharing. lol

But I have to say, in terms of Pranks and The Muppets. No one pranked as well as Don Salhin. lol Anyone ever hear how he freaked out Jim when Don put a Muppet sitting on a toilet and a monsterious face was reveiled after the shower curtian fell off. lol One of my favorite stories. I remember reading it on an old Muppet fan site, I think it was from the book Jim Henson: The Works. I've heard so many great stories that are in it, someday I got to just open the book up and read it. I've always been fashinated with the pictures that are in the book themselves that I never had the chance to fully read a lot of the text in there. lol I hope someday it will be on Kindle and Muppets & Men too.