Those Old Summer Evenings...

Zena Star

Reaction score
D< it won't. Let. Me. Edit. it. So it'll just have to stay in its messed up code glory.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
If you mean the size issue, there's a thread about that in the Feedback section, but you have to either dig it up or search: for it.

Zena Star

Reaction score
*groans* School sure is annoying. I would've posted some kind of an update on Saturday, but I never got the opportunity. :mad: Anyway, this is very short, but Im kinda in a hurry! I may get another update in sooner. i want to get an emotional conversation...thingy across soon!

Also, can you guess who Zena's Best friend is? *coughhintcough* one of my very favourite muppets!

Chapter 5 - Dumb things I gotta do today

“…I think we oughtta teach him how to breakdance!” Sam Sleaze decided, flipping through the “Rich People’s Weekly” Magazine.
“Gee Sam, I don’t know how to breakdance!” Sid called through a mouthful of KFC’s finest quality spicy drumsticks. Big Bird looked more green than pink, watching him devour the bird legs.
“Nah, we can just show him some of them exercise tapes. He’ll learn from that.”
“…But doesn’t he have to wear a skin tight leotard?”
Sam Sleaze snorted coffee through his nose.

I was probably the last person to get into Hooper’s store that morning, though this time, the honkers didn’t sweep me away to some foreign corner of the shop. Yeah, I’ve never had to watch Hooper’s store before. Bob was instructing people, showing them all the routes they were going to cover to get it from Sesame right to the edges of the states, combing every corner to find our Bird.
“…Oscar, you take the Sloppy Jalopy along this route here…Gordon and Olivia, take…”
Okay, I wasn’t paying much attention. Much as I loved Bird, I don’t know how to drive, and I once didn’t even notice the Eiffel tower was in front of me on my trip to Paris. I assumed I’d just end up staying home, getting more and more depressed. It seemed my home was losing everything it once had. I wish that my best friend had left to go pursue her theatre dream. Much as I hate to think I was holding her back, I miss her. And you know you’ve hit bottom when your best friend is a pig. But still, she was doing well for herself, and even got to meet her own idol, so her life, I have to say, is a lot better there than it is here.

I don’t like that feeling. I always told myself, I wouldn’t leave his place for anything! But now…

Hooper’s store was almost empty. Cars had left. The wild Bird Chase had begun.
“Hey Bob?”
“Yeah?” He turned away from Linda, to me.
“Do…you think we’re really gonna find him?”
“Don’t worry. We’ve done it before, and we’ll do it again!” He smiled. It was infectious, and I found myself smiling back. He turned back to Linda, and though I probably shouldn’t, I found myself trying to work out what she was saying as I backed away to the door.
“…I’m so happy we’re finally going to be together…”
And as I watched her hands moving, I noticed the beautiful sparkling ring on her finger.

I couldn’t stifle the squeal of excitement as I left the store. I skipped across the road, when I was stopped in my tracks. I slowed to a stop outside Big Bird’s nest.

I could hear a sound.
A sound I knew very, very well.
It was the sound of someone crying.

Zena Star

Reaction score
:flirt: I'm glad you like it! <3
Next chapter you should see what becomes of the Lovebird, and where everybody...or most of them are up to in the wild love-bird chase! <3

Chapter 6 – Wonderings
I hesitated, just outside Bird’s home. Curiosity was the force that dragged me inside. Oh so slowly, I opened one the many doors. It swung open ever so slightly, but the squeak was really loud. Beside me, the lid of a dented trash can lifted noticeably, and I could feel two eyes boring into me. Whoever was in Bird’s home wasn’t in any hurry to shoo anyone away either.

I opened the door just wide enough for me to slip through it and squinted in the half-light. I could just make out a furry lump nestled in the bowl of twigs. I approached it oh so slowly, as my eyes adjusted to the dimness and I realised what the lump was.

“Snuffy?”
I reached out one of my shaking orange hands and stroked his soft fur. He calmed a little and stopped crying for a little while.
“What’s wrong?” I asked.
“Oh…I’m missing Bird. Why’d he have to go?” Came Snuffy’s deep, muffled voice.
“I…don’t think he really had a choice.” I replied. There was silence for a minute.
“But, don’t worry Snuffy. We’ll find him. You guys did it before, I’m sure that we’ll bring him home again.” I said, trying to sound re-assuring. I can’t say it was working.
“I’m sure he would’ve wanted me to watch his nest for him.” Snuffy said into the gloom. I nodded.
“I’m sure he would’ve too.”
“I looked at the Snuffleuppagus’ head and saw the tear droplets clinging to his long eyelashes, catching the moonlight that spilled in through the gaps between the many faded-painted doors. But my eyes were dry. Sad though I may have been, tears refused to come. And for once, I was glad. People can always tell when you’re crying.

The silence was broken by the beeping of my cell phone. For a second, I ignored it, but then I felt it was necessary to see who was messaging me. I checked my message inbox and there was one little pixellated note waiting for me.

I heard about Bird. Missin u!
Xxx A.S
I smiled to myself. Even when my best friend was at her busiest, preparing for shows, she was always concerned about anything that could possibly go wrong. I pressed the reply button.

Thx, and gd luck for ur next show!
XOX, Z
Send. I didn’t really feel like telling her how I was really feeling.
“…Where do you think Bird is now?” Snuffy asked, his trunk-like nose still muffling his voice.
“I don’t know. But I hope he’s safe.” I replied. I pocketed my cell again and hugged the snuffleupagus, burying my face in his long brown fur.
“I really hope he’s safe.” I whispered.

Then it was time for both of us to start crying. And we weren’t about to stop just because someone opened one of the doors.

Zena Star

Reaction score
*self combusts*
This bold thing is going just a little too far.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Aw... Rully nice... And you're learning about the tradition of heartstabbing. *Leaves teddy bear. Post when you can.

Zena Star

Reaction score
I. Hate. School.
I also hate pressing bad buttons so my post gets eaten.
So, dissing aside, I decided to post something! yaaaay!

The Lovebird
“…Is he ready?”
“Yea Sam, he’s ready.”
“Did you remember to add the blusher?”
“Yup! Number 7, rose-red!” Sid Sleaze said, turning to his brother, who noticed him wearing the very same makeup. Sam sighed and took another admission fee from a little girl. Sid went inside to strike up the lights and switch on the rather old cassette player. The pink light filled the room, illuminating the form of the very pink “Lovebird” complete with tutu.

The bad quality sound crackled out of the cassette player and Big Bird began to twirl around and around, holding onto a pink bow and heart-arrow in his left hand. He spun around and around the little stage, tossing heart-shaped confetti over the audience with his right hand. Little children at the front noticed that through he performed like any other showbiz star, there were tears rolling down his beak and he was not a happy lovebird.

“I’m a rich man…getting richer…here’s my money, let me count it!” Sam Sleaze sang idly, counting the cash they’d reaped in that day. The Sleaze Brothers were on a roll!
“Gee Sam, that song never gets old, does it?” Said called, locking Big Bird’s hiding cage. Sam Sleaze didn’t reply, but after a minute, he started singing the song again. Sid rolled his eyes and went to eat Oreos.
“…Twist it…Lick it…Mm, that’s good! And…Dunk it…” Sid chanted, reciting the advert from memory. Big Bird glanced over at the two, and seized his chance to ask the little girl passing by to help him while the two Sleazy brothers were distracted.

“To my friends on Sesame Street,
Elphay! The leazoay rotherbays BIRDNAPPED me. They are wearing fake oustachmays!
Love
The Lovebird.
Big Bird to you.”
Big Bird scrawled quickly, his feathered hand shaking the pencil, his writing clumsy. Then he folded up the little note and handed it to the little girl hiding in the curtains.

“Good luck!” He whispered.
“Don’t worry Big Bird. You’ll get home safely!”

She took the little crumpled paper and scurried off while Sam Sleaze barked at her. Big Bird sank back, clutching a scrap of fabric he’d found lying on the floor of the cage. It felt fluffy, like Radar’s fur. He hoped that his friends would understand his message. David had taught him how to use Pig Latin as a code to prevent people from understanding, and he hoped that the Sleaze Brothers hadn’t A. Seen the note, and B. understood it. But the little girl had gotten away and he was one step closer to home!

He sat back, feeling proud of himself.

“…hey, it looks like Big Bird’s getting closer to home!” Bob commented, as little Tanya moved the little Bird pin further forward, one step closer to home.

Right, you can all eat my guts now, because that was appaling. i'll end up abridging this so it ends in 5 chapters or something. XD. :cool: