The closing themes of Sesame Street

superfan

Reaction score
Now what about this one. A harmonica was used in the bridge section of the music, I believe and it was this woman and her son or daughter on this slide that started at the top of a hill and wound its way to the bottom. They were sitting on a burlap sack of sorts (used in some theme parks or fairs) for the ride down. Although they never reached the bottom in this sequence, the ride lasted through the whole closing song. Have I been confusing this with something else? :confused:
On a side note, Barkley's closing credits are clear as day to me.

Andrew T

Reaction score
Although I'm usually keen to pay close attention to things like these, the only long credits sequence I distinctly remember from watching Sesame Street in the late '80s and very early '90s was the "Barkley and kids in the park" sequence (which I loved) accompanied by the wailing harmonica instrumental, followed by backers' credits on a bluish textured background accompanied by the funky horns-and-bells theme, followed by the PBS ident.

Does anyone know the year the plain black background for backers' credits was replaced by the bluish textured background? I assume it was sometime in the late '80s, although I could be wrong.

Also, when did they shorten the production & research credits sequence and start placing it after every episode instead of every Friday's? The Hurricane Week episodes from 2001 that were repeated on PBS earlier this month had the full-length credits sequence on Friday only, so the change must be very recent.

ssetta

Reaction score
Andrew T said:
Although I'm usually keen to pay close attention to things like these, the only long credits sequence I distinctly remember from watching Sesame Street in the late '80s and very early '90s was the "Barkley and kids in the park" sequence (which I loved) accompanied by the wailing harmonica instrumental, followed by backers' credits on a bluish textured background accompanied by the funky horns-and-bells theme, followed by the PBS ident.

Does anyone know the year the plain black background for backers' credits was replaced by the bluish textured background? I assume it was sometime in the late '80s, although I could be wrong.

Also, when did they shorten the production & research credits sequence and start placing it after every episode instead of every Friday's? The Hurricane Week episodes from 2001 that were repeated on PBS earlier this month had the full-length credits sequence on Friday only, so the change must be very recent.
It was changed from black to blue in 1984.

doctort13

Reaction score
It's been a l-o-n-g time

I watched Sesame from 1969-73-ish. I have only begun to watch the new episodes with my daughter over the past year. I am sorry to say that I can't recall the closing theme from my childhood at all. It was so long ago for me, my memory banks have trashed those memories. This is all the more a good reason to have classic Sesame on DVD. :smile:

monkeymissile

Reaction score
looking for "bells and horns" mp3

The funky instrumental (frequently referred to as the "bells and horns" music) was introduced over the grant acknowledgements beginning with #406 (the first show of the 1972-1973 season). Before that said:
Hi folks,
I am new and watched SS from about 1977-1982 and have recently been completely obsessed with finding out more about that "bells and horns" theme music (artist, title, etc) and if anyone (oh please say YES) has it as an mp3.
I am afraid I have nothing new and exciting to trade except for the pinball video (Pointer Sisters song) I downloaded today.
Anyway, I'd love to hear what you all have to say.
Thanks.:eek:

Zet

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
There was also a closing theme in the 70's that featured hands holding a steering wheel while down a road.
This is the one I'd like to see again, also described by rjschex...IIRC a bumpy road & kind of disorienting to me as a kid for some reason:confused:

Did this ever turn up on tape?

Fuzzy and Blue

Reaction score
The closing theme I remember most clearly is the one with the dancing Statue of Liberty and dancing buildings, the pigeon muppet, Elmo coming down with a balloon, and then Big Bird saying, "Sesame Street is a production of the Children's Television Workshop."

~Dana~

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
mikealan said:
Here is the brief history of the closing themes of Sesame Street.

In 1969, I think it featured an old, old live-action spot where kids are playing. In 1971 (or 1972), SS changed it into the animated closing theme with kids and muppets where it starts with Grover flying on an airplane and ends with Herry growing flowers and Oscar (naked) holding the SS lampost sign. Bert, Ernie, Big Bird, Cookie Monster, Kermit the Frog, Little Bird, Roosevelt Franklin, Herbert Birdsfoot, Sherlock Hemlock, Lefty, Professor Hastings and the AM's are in it, too! Then, like in the late '70's (or the early '80s's), it was the live spot with Barkley the Dog and the kids. It was shown after any episode until the early '90's. Now, in the early '90's, it was a new animated closing with the dancing Statue of Liberty, the dancing buildings and things, and it features Elmo, Big Bird, a pigeon muppet and the live kids in it.

Remember these closings?
Hmmm. How did that dancing Statue of Liberty closing go again? That one escapes me since it's been so long? Lol. I'm only kidding. I know that's the one they still play today. Anyway, it was good to see the closing with Barkley at 'You Tube.' Though, I wish somebody would put up the old 70s closings since those were before my time. How did Oscar end up naked anyway? That's kind of strange for a kid's show.

Fuzzy and Blue

Reaction score
I guess I'm going to have to watch for that ending, since I didn't know it was still played...and Oscar being naked? That DOES sound strange. Not something I remember seeing as a kid.

~Dana~