1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The closing themes of Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by mikealan, Jan 18, 2003.

1. gutchman

gutchman New Member

ssetta, do you remember exactly which episodes of SS had the nighttime closing theme, besides episodes 666, 1836, 1845, 2404, 2123, 2124, 2795, 2880, and 2900?
  2. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

Okay, here are some others I remember:

3. gutchman

gutchman New Member

3352 was from the 1994-95 season, and the harmonica/nighttime music was permantly gone starting in 1993-94 season, wasn't it? So is episode 3352 a rerun from the 1992-93 season, since it had the nighttime music?
  4. gutchman

gutchman New Member

Which version of the closing theme did episode 2795 have?
  5. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

This is interesting. 3352 was actually NOT a rerun. I was quite surprised it had the old nighttime music. Interestingly enough, this episode reran in Season 28 as show 3602, and the old nighttime music was used then as well. I was very surprised.

2795 had the regular harmonica music.
  6. gutchman

gutchman New Member

wow, ssetta, I can't believe that most of these episodes with the nighttime closing credits actually used the harmonica theme instead of the nighttime theme. Could it be because in most of these episodes, no one was sleeping at the end of them?
  7. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

No one was sleeping at the end of those episodes.
  8. gutchman

gutchman New Member

that's strange, ssetta, b/c at the end of episode 2228, both Telly and Susan are about to go to bed at night, but the harmonica theme was still used at the end of that episode. Isn't that strange? Then again, that episode's ending didn't show anyone sleeping. Furthermore, after Susan said "Sesame Street is a production of the Children's Television Workshop", she says good night. I think I might have seen another episode in the late 80s where Maria said it's time for everyone to go home and go to bed. I don't exactly know this for sure, but i THINK it still used the regular ending theme.

I think in order for the nighttime theme to be used, someone actually had to be SEEN sleeping, like in episode 1836's ending. Episode 666, the one where the Count counts lights, had the nighttime theme b/c the last street scene showed people turning off their lights at night so they can go to sleep.

Do you know of any other episodes from 1969-1992 that used that regular closing theme, even though it ended at night and someone was about to go to sleep?
  9. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

I've actually heard about a Season 19 episode, I think it's show 2385, that ends with a bunch of people sleeping, but it's in the daytime. It had a normal closing. There was another episode like this from Season 19, show 2435. I also remember this episode where there was a hurricane from Season 22, show 2821, and it reran in Season 24, show 3026. It did end at night, and people were sleeping, but they weren't actually shown during the sponsor announcement. Therefore, the regular theme music played.
  10. gutchman

gutchman New Member

ssetta, even though the harmonica closing theme for SS was dropped in 1993, it made a comeback in this decade sometime. It's currently played at the end of each episode after Silmey reads Trash Gordon to Slimey. Which year between 2000 and 2004 did that harmonica theme return at the end of Sesame Street episodes (after Elmo's World)?
  11. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

Actually, that's a very interesting question. The calypso music that replaced the harmonica music at the end of Season 24 is still being used today at the beginning, but only lasted a few years at the end. I think the reason for this is because I always thought it had somewhat of a poignant sound to it at the end of the episode. As if they were sad to leave. So, in Season 27, they made this new version of the theme. It actually featured part of the original opening theme, and most of it was actually harmonica music. It wasn't the original, but I think it was made to sound like the original. Sometimes it would actually feature the very last harmonica riff at the end of the original, but not always. It was actually in Season 34 that the original returned, which is one season before Trash Gordon premiered. And then in Season 35, Trash Gordon came along, and it was played at the end of that. For some reason, in Season 36, they went back to using the 1995 version, and now, for Season 37, they're using the original again.
  12. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Actually, i remember the harmonica theme in the intro of ever show being on and off over the years. I actually never remember it ending. I thing they used to switch out in sometime in the late nineties again, but I could be wrong. But at anytime, they used the new opening at the beginning and the original one at the end.
  13. gutchman

gutchman New Member

ssetta, did the SS episodes titled "nighttime on Sesame Street" always have the sleepytime version of the Sesame Street theme at the end of them?
  14. gutchman

gutchman New Member

ssetta, I have a question about the ending of SS episode 2485, where Maria and Luis got married. According to muppet wikia, everyone dances during the closing credits. Do the credits appear over the scene of everyone dancing, or are the Barkley and the Kids credits shown? Also, which version of the Sesame Street theme plays in the background?
  15. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

The credits do appear over everyone dancing, and it's actually a special version of the theme only used this time. There was a live band playing it.
  16. Rubber Duckie

Rubber Duckie New Member

You guys will not believe this. I ran into a clip from the ending of show 2367 on YouTube, which was uploaded by a guy named tvcollector. In the clip, David is locking up Hooper's for the night, with a turtle still inside eating his dinner. Gordon comments that it will take him all night to finish his meal. However, David reminds him that the turtle is slow. Gordon then comments that the turtle will likely want breakfast when David comes back to open up again in the morning, but David reminds Gordon that the turtle will be eating at home the next day. From what I can tell, I will assume that 2367 ends at night, however, the regular harmonica music is used. The sponsors for 2367, which contain a voiceover by Maria, are I, K and 11. Maria also does the voiceover for the "Sesame Street is a production of the Children's Television Workshop" line at the end. Right after that is the funding credits, which contain the familiar bells and horns music, followed by the 1984 PBS logo.
  17. gutchman

gutchman New Member

ssetta, I have a question about episode 2123's ending. Does the folding sesame street sign and CTW logo underneath the sign appear at the end of that episode, or is the actual SS sign on the post shown and just the words "Children's Television Workshop" appear?
  18. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

I'm pretty sure the actual sign is shown. However, I don't remember if the words were shown or not.
  19. Dunebasher

Dunebasher New Member

Hi guys,

First post, so be gentle :)

I'm British, and in the early 80s we used to get Sesame Street once a week, on Saturday mornings. The closing sequence I remember best is the "steering wheel" one; having read the previous posts in this thread, that must have meant that the episodes of Sesame Street we were getting in the UK were several years old. Anyhoo, does anyone know if this sequence is available online or on DVD?
  20. Taco Monster

Taco Monster Member

I've been longing to see that sequence myself. The only ones I remember from my childhood are the Barkley sequence and the current animated one, and more recently I've seen the tenement building scroll thanks to various resources. The steering wheel sequence hasn't shown up online, but it will probably appear on Old School Vol. 2 which will be released in November.

Wow, this thread sure has legs...