Convincing John meets "Weird Al" Yankovic!

Convincing John

Reaction score
You'll never believe what happened to me Friday night! It was, quite frankly, one of the best nights of my life!

I had been planning this night for some time, and everything went as planned. I got tickets a loooooong time ago for "Weird Al" Yankovic's Apr. 2 show in Iowa City, Iowa. I was the first one in line, but I figured they had been selling tickets on the internet and I'd get a seat next to :boo: and :sleep:

But I didn't.

It turned out that they sold the very first tickets right there at the box office...and I got FRONT ROW SEATS!!! The "I've Got a Golden Ticket" music from Willy Wonka played over and over in my head as I left the box office.

("Go on, Charlie! Run straight home with those Weird Al tickets and don't stop till you get there!")

Well, I got two of them because I wanted to surprise my sister! (I got the tickets way back in February). And I didn't even tell her until the night of the concert!

Anyway, I knew that as a foam-blooded Muppet fan, I thought I'd do something for you Muppet Central folks and a tribute to Jim and Frank as well. I knew what songs Weird Al was going to play, so I brought along lightsabers for us to wave during "The Saga Begins" and "Yoda", spatulas to wave during "Amish Paradise" (even though they're not mentioned in the song, spatulas are a running gag of Al's, like the number 27). And guess what else? I had a sign of the Muppet Show logo to wave during "Couch Potato" during the line "and the Muppet Show where they go 'Mahna Mahna'...".

I also brought in my camera and planned to take some photos, but a lady a row over or so tried it and got in trouble, so I decided to stay parked right where I was and enjoy the show.

Well, I got to bring in all that stuff (lightsabers, etc.), plus some really cool things happened. First, Weird Al sang to my sister a few times, a few lines during "Melanie", and he zoomed right up to her and sang a line from "Wanna B Ur Lover" to her. His nose was only three inches, at most, away from her!!!

If you go see Weird Al, he might look right at you if you sing along with his songs. He looked right at me during a few lines of his "All About the Pentiums" number.

Now, here's another really cool thing that happened. During his "Smells Like Nirvana" song, he gargles and throws a cup of water out into the audience...then he throws the cup. Now normally, people fight over the cup, but when he threw it, it landed not quite ten feet away from me...and NO one tried to get it! About five seconds went by, and it just sat there. So, I quickly zoomed over, snatched it up, zoomed back and gave it to my sister. Weird Al noticed me and skipped a line in his song as he watched me give the cup to her. He didn't seem to mind, though:wink:

Later, like I mentioned before, I waved my "Muppet Show" sign, the spatulas, and waved the lightsaber during "Yoda". I sang my little polyurethane foam heart out in tribute to Frank, Jim, and Muppet Central (the place where I found I wasn't the only Muppet fan in the world). :smile:

Aaaaannnd....after the show, he gave autographs! His tour manager said if we started telling stories to Al or took up too much time, Al would go back to his dressing room and we'd have to leave. So as much as I wanted to mention Muppet Central and tell him about how big a fan I was, I decided I'd just send him a letter or an email for that stuff.

But he did take the time to sign one thing apiece. He autographed my sister's cup, and referred to my sister as "the lucky cup catcher". I asked him real nice to autograph the snorkel set I brought. He did so with a chuckle. (Al refers to his "lucky, lucky, autographed, glow-in-the-dark snorkel" in his song "Albuquerque"). I just had time to say "Thanks, Weird Al, you're the best!" before the next person was ready. They had security and everything, so you couldn't dawdle.

So...that was my evening with Al! :big_grin: If anyone's interested, I can give more details of the concert. For more on Al's "Poodle Hat" Tour, go to www.weirdal.com for info. Take care, everyone!

Convincing John

GonzoGirl

Reaction score
Wow!! What an awesome experience!! I've never gotten to see Al in concert yet-sounds like a real blast, though!

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
That's awesome that you had a wonderful time..thanks for letting us know what went on! :smile:

Tera

Reaction score
I'm glad you had a great time, but I admit I'm more than a little creeped out.

My greatest love (Muppets) has been sullied with a connection to someone I can't stand . I'll admit its purely personal. He used to date a close friend of mine and it went...badly. Its been over a decade and my friend certainly doesn't care anymore, but I can't listen to or look at him without feelings extremely annoyance. Maybe its because I never actually met him and therefore didn't get to have my that-jerk-hurt-my-best-friend-closure by snubbing him socially.

Hmm...maybe a could go to a concert, stay for autographs and shout "You don't know me, but 14 years ago you were a JERK!!!" at him. :grouchy: I could get closure then! Nah. I couldn't kill the mood for the fans. I'll stick to channel surfing over him.