Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know something? This is a real testament to writing quality, but I find it hilarious that in Age of Extinction, T. J. millers character was so obnoxious that I laughed at his character's death yet he pretty much stole the show as Fred in Big Hero 6. And from Baymax to boot!

WalterLinz

Reaction score
I just came back from seeing it; and oh. My. Word.

I can't even explain into words how much I had adored this film. From start to finish, it had made me cry, laugh, and even applauded when the credits rolled. And it sure does have the heart of a Disney animated movie and the action of a Marvel movie.:smile:

Three words: Baymax, Baymax, Baymax. Baymax, on the other hand, is now officially my hero because of how (spoilers!) sweet and sacrificial he is. Don't you just want to give him a big hug in person??:fanatic:

Plus the final scene after the end credits @Muppet fan 123 had mentioned: brilliant!!

Aww, and even the short film beforehand had warmed my heart. Just, how can you not love Winston??:fanatic:

Big Hero 6 is the kind of movie that you'll want to see over and over again, and I know for sure that I will sometime later~:fanatic:

Drtooth

Reaction score
On other Marvel news, rumors broke and were promptly retracted of a...get this...movie focused on Young Aunt May. Now, this is not going to happen at all, mind you. It's one of those "so unbelievable that it must be true, 'cept it isn't" type wild stories used for clickbait. But it speaks volumes of Sony's bizzarre wembling of the franchise... the whole "we do not want to relinquish the rights to Spider-man, yet we're worried about how the second one did even though it was our fault the movie had problems, but we're still planning phase films like Marvel with secondary and tertiary characters, but we're going to hold off on Spider-Man 3 just in case" thing that's just confusing and...welll... more idiotic than cautious.

What really must stick a thorn in their side is, like I said, Marvel's two best movies of the year were based off comics that even comic book fans shrug when they hear the names of. How bad does that look that Spider-Man turned off audiences, and a movie about an alien raccoon looking being and a Power Rangers type super group manage to be better films all the way?

WalterLinz

Reaction score
-SPOILERS-

Hey wait a sec, I just noticed the scene where Baymax's red costume explodes seen in commercials wasn't in the final cut of the film, same with him running after that soccer ball(or was that piece of animation just used for promoting the film?).

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's the teaser. Similar to The Incredibles when Mr. Incredible spends 3 minutes trying to put on a belt. It was a short film to show what the movie was, and therefore unrelated to the final film. Even though a reanimated segment where the armor is attached was in the film.

Anyway, I don't want to jinx anything. 3 or 4 movies open up this weekened, and I'm hoping Hero can hold its own through them. None of them are quite kid friendly (Birdman and Rosewater especially), but that hasn't stopped anything before. Dumb and Dumber Too is unsurprisingly getting bad reviews. The one I read basically praised the first film and said this was nothing but a poorly executed, mean spirited nostalgic money grab, and it sure looks like it. I have to admit, D&D wasn't exactly my favorite of the original core 3 Jim Carrey films that went on to get cartoon shows (The Mask all the way, baby, but I liked Ace Ventura as well), I did like the ending bit though, and some of it was kinda funny (oddly enough due to Jeff Daniels most of the time). I don't see the point of the prequel or sequel.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This sucks, but not by much...

Dumb and Dumber to won the weekened, but not by much Big Hero 6 managed to hold its own in second in its second week, and already has made 117 million domestically. In fact, it was just over a 2 million difference between the two. Interstellar's only really making its money internationally. But I;m sure most of us would like to see Big Hero succeed and become a boy's franchise for Disney. At least warranting a sequel or cartoon series or something.

mr3urious

Reaction score
D&D2 feels more unnecessary to me than awful, sorta like Ghostbusters 2 and Godfather 3. The prequel was unnecessary enough.

I'm glad BH6 and Interstellar still managed to hang on, though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ghostbusters 2 was alright, and at least necessary for marketing reasons. But the cartoon went on a much better direction at that point. Dumb and Dumber to was nothing more than nostalgic money at work. Jim Carrey hasn't done anything profitable in years (unless you count the uncredited cameo in Anchorman 2... but again, that was uncredited), and it's a shame that his presence sunk Amazing Burt Wonderstone, especially since he had Wolverine Publicity for the film and he was genuinely funny in that one.

On the subject of Big Hero 6, Disney's Japanese Youtube page has put up this adorable sanctioned fan animation: Need I say Spoilers

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I don't think anything really sucks. Big Hero 6 is still doing very well and hasn't opened in major foreign markets yet. This movie has long legs.