Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
Muppets are a living breathing thing. Be it Elmo, movies that aren't as good as the 3 Jim made, or some Henson project that lasts 3 episodes. Ticks off sticklers for classic stuff? Yes. Did they just say "Hey, Jim died... let's toss all of this aside. It's over." Thankfully not.
Reminds me of a Craig Shemin quote from his recent ToughPigs interview; even though he's talking more about Henson than the current Muppet projects:

“...the Henson Company continues to move forward. We try and balance what we do, and there’s a reason that we celebrate the work of the past, but we try to also be aware of the present. I try not to come up and say, “This is really the cool stuff; don’t look at what’s happening now.” I don’t live in a bubble like that. I think that there is good stuff out there now — there’s also not-great stuff out there now. But the same could be said of any period in Henson history.”

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
As far as the Henson company, I agree. They do celebrate the past and also try new projects. As far as the treatment of the Muppet characters, it hasn't felt as balanced. And it hasn't worked. The last time it really worked was MCC because it's a sweet holiday movie.

MuppetGuy75

Reaction score
Like so many of you, I'm just completely at a loss of words over the lack of people not seeing MMW or complaining how they didn't like the movie. I just don't see how anyone could not have enjoyed it? The music was wonderful, the cameos were fun, and most of all the comedic timing was perfect! As I've said before, we have reached a period in pop culture where we always judge things based on the original material. It's happened to Star Wars, Superman, Batman, Star Trek or any other remake or reboot. As Muppet fans, we all know Jim's work was the best. That magic will never come back no matter what. TM11 was pretty darn close in my opinion and MMW definitely had that classic madcap humor as seen in TGMC. Word of mouth is the most effective promotion a film can have. Apparently, no matter the rave reviews or having a 7.0 rating on Imdb... word of mouth killed MMW along with the weekend it was released on. TM11 had that lucky Wednesday before Thanksgiving, a time when families and friends go to the movies and spend time together. That was the golden goose egg Disney should have remembered when releasing MMW. Had it been my decision, I would have released it Easter weekend because many schools are out that Friday (and sometimes Monday). So yes, the film has barely made it to 50 million domestically, but let's hope this Easter weekend things will pick up. I just hope Disney won't shelve any future Muppet plans because of this ordeal. :sympathy:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
The number of theaters carrying this movie have been cut down in my city. It's only playing at five different locations, and Peabody is playing at ten different locations. It's so sad to see. I wanted this movie to soar financially more than anything.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I still think they should've promoted more parts of the movie besides Kermit being replaced by an evil frog. I also think they put too much emphasis on Ricky Gervais I heard several people say they just couldn't get past him being in a Muppet film because of his edgy sense of humor. Not that I think that should be why you shouldn't have seen this film because I thought he was great in it but it is some of the feedback I've seen on my end. I think if they had shown more shots of the "wedding" it might've drawn more people in. And I don't even say this cause I'm a fan but for me personally the last film people said one of the main reasons they went because of the one clip they showed of Kermit saying he needed Piggy. Again their relationship is what makes the Muppet world go round whether you like it or not, or don't care.

I can only speak from my personal experienes but I know with the last film the theaters were so much more packed. Now that could've had to do it was released during the holiday season but I heard more people coming out of the theater saying how good it was and I even saw people getting teary eyed when Kermit started singing "Rainbow Connection." With this film the only good reactions I heard out of the three times I went were the Kermit and Piggy sequence during "Something So Right" and the helicopter scene.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
The number of theaters carrying this movie have been cut down in my city. It's only playing at five different locations, and Peabody is playing at ten different locations. It's so sad to see. I wanted this movie to soar financially more than anything.
Really? It's still playing at all locations in my area.