Is there going to be a sequel to Labyrinth?

tonibearda

Reaction score

1. 1)is there really a need for one?
  2. Yes there definately is
    2)what would the story be?
  3. Jareth could take Sarah and convince her to love him or something like that. or jareth goes to the real world to find sarah and make her his goblin queen.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oldish thread but...

Is there really need for one? Debatable. Unless you just want a direct continuation of Jareth and Sarah's relationship, I'd say they said all they needed to say in the first one. What drives me absolutely mad is when fans of a certain movie want a sequel so bad, especially one that's 20+ years old, and then act completely surprised that it isn't "good." I'm sorry, but I see no problem with Indiana Jones 4 that wouldn't have been a natural problem making a sequel 20 years later anyway. There's no better example than Tron Legacy. Yeah. That sequel based on a movie that was a flop was a real disappointment to those who only know of the movie for being a flop. Especially since the glut of them only saw the movie on grainy old VHS tapes.

The best thing we can hope for is no actual theatrical sequel and just a fan-fic style continuation in novel form. Less disappointment that way.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Yeah, no need for a sequel. It's a stand-alone classic. If they did a remake (not a fan of the idea, but just what if), I would want Terry Jones' original script to be used. I love the film, but I think Jones' original vision for the story was much more interesting.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Even a more faithful to the book/original Terry Jones script remake would go over like a lead balloon. But you know, I really wish they'd take that approach with Jurassic Park. Instead of making a fourth film, I say let's reboot the franchise with the original family UNfriendly version of the book.

MuppetGuy75

Reaction score
I would have loved to have seen a sequel or even a prequel to Labyrinth but yeah... it's just too far gone now. David Bowie is awesome but I highly doubt he would be interested in portraying Jareth again but who knows? Jimmy Fallon had Jennifer Connelly on his show a few years back and he brought up Labyrith to her but she really didn't have much to say about it. That kind of dissapointed me. So I doubt she would want to be in another film too. Besides, there's no Jim and he was the one that brought the magic!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I don't want another movie. I'm a big fan of Once Upon a Time, and I would LOVE for JHC to lease the property over to them. With Rumple disappearing, there's ANOTHER stealer of children with a smart mouth that could easily take up the slack. :smile:

Regardless of what people think about Return to Labyrinth, I find the world fascinating and worth exploring. It may have been rushed and clunky, but Mizumi is on par with Regina from Once. All I could do when watching the episode where Prince Charming deals with the Siren was just how much she looks like Mizumi.

And Uncle Matt had a cameo. That was built-in awesome. :smile:

I would rather see a series that develops the world. It's not like Dark Crystal, where we have a mythology, etc ... Labyrinth is just kinda there. I choose to view the movie not as a poorly done thing, but a metaphor for how Sarah treated her world, like a set with characters who don't exist after the curtains close. However, like Jareth sings, he wanted to live outside of her limited imagination.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, will have to go and check if Once's siren was either Season 1 or 2.

Treating Labyrinth as a series where it could be expanded upon, yes, I heartily approve. That's basically what I think WB/CW could/should have done with the Potter franchise, they'd have room to add the characters and scenes in a 22-episode hourlong seasonal series that never made it into the films.

Another thing I appreciate about RTL is how they borrowed from Japanese legendry, meshing it with the established goblin community/culture.

Oh, and I wouldn't give up on Rumple being gone, not if Lumiere will be added to the cast when Once Season 3 continues in March. :wink:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Note I said "disappear", not die. Never got convinced he died, LOL. He disappeared in a flash of light with Malcolm/Pan, but the Beast had a flash of light during his transformation in the movie ...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, okay. I agree that I wouldn't be surprised to see Rumple return at some point though.

To this day, I remember two things about Beast's final transformation that make me laugh. At the end of the movie when Belle kissed him, he changed into Prince Adam, it was commented he looked more "convincing" as the animalian beast. And at the end of the parody when the prince realized he looked cute, flocked by the other beauty women from the little village town, Dot got angry kissing him a second time turning him back into Taz.

Huh? Oh, sorry for the muffining. *Offers a gravel-caked muffin from Skub's cafe.