Silly things you said, did, or thought as a kid

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, I actually made that same mistake regarding the Lollipop Guild as well.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Here's a silly one....

Once, when we were at the library, my dad rented the Pepe le Pew's Skunk Tales VHS, but it was in a generic video package as opposed to the regular packaging (most videos were packaged in their normal packaging). I had only vaguely known about a Looney Tunes skunk, and not the characters name, so I had no idea what to expect (and I didn't think to ask because I was a kid). So I watched it, and while it became clear it was a Looney Tunes video, I thought it was just themed around skunks (hench the "Skunk Tales" part of the title) and it wasn't until the next time I rented a Looney Tunes Golden Jubilee video that I knew the skunk's name was Pepe le Pew (at the time I was mostly watching Looney Tunes on the syndicated Merrie Melodies Starring Bugs Bunny and Friends, and I don't think any Pepe le Pew shorts were ever shown on that show).

But for the silly part.... I thought that for some reason Pepe le Pew meant Looney Tunes. In fact I thought up some kind of weird montage sequence with various Looney Tunes characters announcing "Pepe le Pew means Looney Tunes!", a few in a row, then Daffy Duck angrily saying "Pepe le Pew does NOT mean Looney Tunes!", then one more "Pepe le Pew means Looney Tunes", then all the main Looney Tunes characters (even Daffy) on stage (similar to the Golden Jubilee openings, which was similar to the Bugs Bunny Show opening) singing, to the tune of the last few notes of the Looney Tunes theme, "Pepe le Pew means Looney Tunes, hey!"

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In addition to mishearing parts of the Munchkin Land song, I also misheard the Cowardly Lion's song "If I Only Had the Nerve". It wasn't until recently that I knew he said "nerve", though if I understood it as a kid I wouldn't have known what a nerve is. Listening to that song, I kept thinking, "I thought he wanted courage!"

And at first, I thought he said he wanted "The Night". Then years later I heard it better but thought he was saying "The nive" (or "the knive"), and thought it was some sort of honor for bravery or knighthood (and I never thought he wanted "the knight"?).

It's just the way he pronounced nerve.... Really weird.

Animal'sBunny

Reaction score
I was older than I'd like to admit when I realized that a "Snowplow Turnaround" wasn't some fancy bend/turn in the road, but in fact a place where snowplows turnaround...

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Once took a class in Ethics and the professor announced, "Today we'll discuss Euthenasia (allowing terminally ill people to die)". Without missing a beat, I chimed in,
"Yes, I think kids in Japan should be allowed to drink!"

Crickets.

We were talking about "Youth in Asia", right?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I used to think that the Kit Kat Bar jingle went, "Gimmie a rake! Gimmie a rake! Rake me off a pizza that Kik Kat Bar!"

And yeah, I thought it was "rake me off a pizza that...", meaning to rake off a pizza, as opposed to a way of saying "piece of".

And thought "rake me off a pizza that Kit Kat bar" was slightly grammatically incorrect (maybe "rake me off a pizza that kicks that bar would sound more grammatically accurate).

Lately, I've been wondering if I should start a similar thread for mistakes we thought as a kid, but weren't actually silly. I keep thinking about things I used to think that don't really seem silly, though right now my mind is frozen as to what.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Thread bump...
I ate lotion when I was three.
Same! I ate lotion at least three times when I was around that age. Don't even know why I tried it, probably 'cause it smelled good,lol. But, I tried it once, I didn't like- But, you know, my family had this rule that if you don't like a food the first time you tried it, you should taste it again because you may like it the next time. So, a few days later, while no one was looking, I sneaked some more lotion into my bedroom and ate some- it tasted even more awful that time! (must've been a different brand :wink:).So, I tried it again about a year later...

I still, to this day do not know why I kept eating lotion.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
-I used to think ear wax was plural, so I would say "Ear wack" to refer to the singular form
-I used to call threads (as in sewing, not forum threads) Freds
-I used to think Meg was the name of the mom from Family Guy (it's actually the daughter)
-I used to think Jennifer Lopez and George Lopez were related.
-I used to pronounce Bill Cosby's last name as Colby (yup, like the cheese)
-Like many new Happy Tree Friends fans, I thought Flaky was a boy when I was younger
-Additionally, I thought Toothy was a girl
-I used to get Brad Paisley, Toby Keith, and Jason Aldean confused
-I used to think that Kid Rock was what they called rock music for kids (like Kidz Bop) not an actual singer
-I used to think that the Virgin Mary and Mary Magdalene were the same person
-I called George W. Bush George Washington once when I was in Kindergarten
-I used to think that the Tom Petty song, Don't Come Around Here No More was about Alice in Wonderland (because of the video)
-I used to get Homer and Bart Simpson confused
-I used to think that the Meat Loaf song, Paradise By the Dashboard Light was about baseball (My childhood was ruined when I found it was really about ***)