Looking for a Rocky and Bullwinkle episode

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I've rarely seen Rocky and Bullwinkle except some bits here and there on Nickelodeon. Though there's one episode that sticks in my mind and I couldn't find a clip of it. Perhaps if there's anyone here who's a fan, perhaps you could help me out. It was part of the twisted fairy tales segment they had on there. All I can remember was there was some bad kid named billy and he throws his cat out a glass window, the father walks in and says "BILLY! Why did you throw that cat out the window" and he replies "I wanted to give him a good pain." "BILLY! SOME DAY YOU'LL HANG!" then cuts to a scene where his caught by his shirt on a hook at a museum. Something like that, that's all I remember of it and I remember just laughing like crazy.

Also did the Rocky and Bullwinkle team have anything to do with The Alvin Show (Original 60s Alvin and The Chipmunks)? What was that episode about the big lady who kept singing like crazy "BABY BABY BABY" so out of control that doctors put her into a strayjacket and she sings on her way to the hospital. That also make me laugh. Reason why I ask is because there was a segment on Alvin with two scientists that kind of look like that kid and that Dog, Pebody? Something like that.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have the first four seasons, and I know that the last season only showed repeats of all the supporting segments (with the main "Rocky and Bullwinkle" storylines being the only new material), but I don't know which one you're talking about. But when I watch the DVDs I often watch the whole storylines and often skip most of the supporting segments that don't feature Bullwinkle.

Also did the Rocky and Bullwinkle team have anything to do with The Alvin Show (Original 60s Alvin and The Chipmunks)? What was that episode about the big lady who kept singing like crazy "BABY BABY BABY" so out of control that doctors put her into a strayjacket and she sings on her way to the hospital. That also make me laugh. Reason why I ask is because there was a segment on Alvin with two scientists that kind of look like that kid and that Dog, Pebody? Something like that.
I remember seeing part of that "BABY BABY BABY" one, and have wondered about it (for some reason I thought she turned out to be a robot). I don't remember her name, but I think she was in another episode as well, where Dave had her teach the boys manners. And the scientists on the show are Clyde Crashcop and Leonardo, though I've never noticed any resemblence between them and Mr. Peabody and Sherman (I've seen more resemblence between Sherman, Dexter from Dexters Laboratory, and that boy from Time Squad).

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
Though the art styles are both very similar, the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons were produced by J. Ward and Gamma Productions, while The Alvin Show was produced by Bagdasarian Productions and Format Films. A lot of people have also compared these cartoons to Underdog, Tennessee Tuxedo and the like. Segments from those cartoons were even sometimes paired with Rocky and Bullwinkle in syndication, according to Wikipedia.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think, if I'm not mistaken, there may have been at least one writer and one animator who worked on Rocky and Bullwinkle who also worked on Alvin.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Fractured Fairy tales? Was that the segment on Rocky and Bullwinkle? I think the one I'm referring to was part of this segment.

Also wasn't this around the time when lots of the cartoonists were inspired by the UPA (something like that), limited animation.

When did animation start going overseas in general?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Today I found that there's a DVD available of every Fractured Fairy Tales segment. Not sure if you'd want to check out that release just to figure out which one it is (or see if you were right about it being FFT).

In "The Moose That Roared", it had mentioned that Jay Ward actually considered animating The Alvin Show, but decided that he wasn't interested in animating a TV series based on somebody elses creation.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ironically, the characters of Rocky and Bullwinkle weren't exactly his creations either.

But funnily enough, the first time I saw The Alvin Show era character designs, my mind was blown, they looked NOTHING like the Chipmunks I remembered (growing up with the 80s/90s version), I thought they did look like something out of a Jay Ward cartoon.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Ironically, the characters of Rocky and Bullwinkle weren't exactly his creations either.

But funnily enough, the first time I saw The Alvin Show era character designs, my mind was blown, they looked NOTHING like the Chipmunks I remembered (growing up with the 80s/90s version), I thought they did look like something out of a Jay Ward cartoon.
Just curious, how did Alvin and The Chipmunks start anyway? I heard a rumor that someone was goofing around in a control studio and speed up voices and they figured a way to make profit off of it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sort of.

Ross Bagdasarian (otherwise known by his stage name of David Seville) was a struggling singer/songwriter, at one point he and his family only had $200 to their name, and with that $200, he went and bought a brand new, state-of-the-art (at the time) tape recorder that allowed people to change tape speeds; he wrote "Witch Doctor", and sped up the voice of the witch doctor in the song (Oo ee oo ah ah ting ting walla walla bing bang). After the record became such a smash hit, he tried to find some kind of characters to use that voice for, but he couldn't think of anything, until one day, while he was out driving, a little chipmunk scurried out into the middle of the road, and just sat there, staring at him, as if it was just waiting for him to run it down, he got tickled at that, and thus, Alvin was born.

"The Chipmunk Song" (Chrismtas Don't be Late) was inspired by his youngest son randomly asking him in the middle of summer if it was Christmas yet, because he was anxious to get Christmas presents.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Fractured Fairy tales? Was that the segment on Rocky and Bullwinkle? I think the one I'm referring to was part of this segment.

Yeah...

Rocky and Bullwinkle contained

Fractured Fairy Tales

Peabody's Improbable History

Dudley Do-Right

Aesop and Son

and smaller segments

Bullwinkle's Corner

Mr. Know it All

The Bullwinkle Fan Club.

And there are some syndicated packages that contain some Underdog/Tennesee Tuxedo Total TV segments like Commander McBrag, and likewise Total TV shows with Bullwinkle segments. That caused confusion that it was created by the same people, though they had one producer and the Mexican animation unit in common.

The "One Day You'll Hang" episode, I've seen, but I can't remember exactly which one it was. if I could only find a list of episodes with small descriptions, I'd probably be able to help. I'd have to pull out the Moose that Roared book, and I don't know where that is exactly.