Dealing with depression and anxiety

Hubert

Reaction score
For some reason I find it strange for me to be suddenly posting in this thread, and a bit shameful, as I've never really commented anything to anyone in here before... :embarrassed:

But lately I've been feeling pretty down in the dumps due to my extreme amount of shyness and quiet in my everyday life. I'm just (believe it or not) such a quiet person, and it just has been hard for me to break out of that lately.

It seems like it all comes and goes in cycles...for a while I was really shy, and then I started to get out of that, then I dipped back in, then out, and now I'm in again, though this time it seems deeper than before. :sigh:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I'm actually the same way. On here I might seem loud and obnoxious but if you actually met me you would think I was a totally different person compared to how I act on here.

Hubert

Reaction score
The thing about it is, I have recently become aware that my personality on the forum is the true me, the me that should be on the outside. Yet for some reason I just can't flip-flop the two sides to how they should be. I think a lot of it has to do with me almost "hiding" behind the computer screen that makes me be able to bring the real me out, though I just have a hard time doing it in real life. I don't know whether it is lack of opportunities or my social awkwardness or not, but it is just extremely hard for me to do so.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Same with me. Trust me I understand. I wish how I act on here reflected more of how I am in real life. I mean I am no where near as shy as I used to be and despite what hardships I'm going through right now I am generally a happy person. And I don't mind talking to people but I'm no where near as vocal as I am on MC. It's weird.

Hubert

Reaction score
I know...I would love it if people could realize the true me that you guys see all the time on here, I feel like they would really love to see it rather than some person who doesn't talk much...yet as much as I try, I always fail...

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Probably because it's easier to type then use your own voice? At least that's how it is for me. In "real" life I'm actually very insecure. And always worried about what people think of me. I know I shouldn't care but I've always been that way.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'm sorry you're going through a hard time Hubert. It can be hard to try and act outgoing when you tend to be quiet, even if you want to be more outgoing. I had the same issue when I was a freshman in college. I wanted to have a big social life and make jokes all the time, but I tried to force it and felt really awkward. After a while I decided to try and let it happen naturally, and it worked. Perhaps you could try just letting things happen with your personality rather than trying to consciously be more outgoing.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I wish I could gather the courage to tell you guys more about me but I'm scared to death to. :frown:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Don't worry about it Pinky. That kind of courage comes with time, and it comes at different times with everybody. It took me a while to become comfortable enough to share my problems with my closest friends, and then even more time to share on here. Just take your time and do what feels comfortable for you.