Muppets in Your Life: Storytelling Time

Plaid Fraggle

Reaction score
'Allo!

So I, like most all y'all, have stories in my life with Muppets at the heart of it. Or little traditions. For example...

An ongoing one that happens every day at work for me is drawing Boober Fraggle. I work at a restaurant and draw the little guy all over the place--on napkins, on lists and inventory sheets, on simple sheets of paper for people to find in the kitchen or something. It cracks my coworkers up and lots of them don't know a thang 'bout FR; they just know the character from my drawings. At this point many of my coworkers write things next to him where they see him, like, "Boober needs a girlfriend" (now people draw a lady for him occasionally :sigh:) or "Nice hat, bro."

So what're some of your stories, fellow fans? I wanted to create a thread especially for this :smile:

Hubert

Reaction score
I can't help but think back to when I was in fifth grade...my teacher did this word of the day thing with us, and part of the activity was for each kid in my class to make up a sentence using the word. So I trademarked by famous Muppet sentences for each day. Every single word I found a way to relate it to the Muppets. It was fun...

I now am mad that for some strange reason I got rid of my notebook, if not I'd post them all on here for you guys to read...

Hubert

Reaction score
Fine, I'll see what I can pull out of my past...and I'm probably paraphrasing a bit, but you get the general idea:

"Sweetums is one of the only Muppets that can frolic, because he is one of the only ones that have legs."

"I often contemplate over what Muppet video I'm going to watch."

(I also did another one for "contemplate" for another word of the day related reason)

"When asked to be a part of Sesame Street, Jim Henson contemplated over whether or not he should say 'yes', because he didn't want the Muppets to be thought of as children's entertainment."

I'll see if I can pull out some more here...

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Hubert's flashback to elementary school made me think of this one...

I had a Miss Piggy Great Muppet Caper folder. It stayed at school and the teacher would put graded papers in it. At the end of the year we were told to clean out our desks and I remember my teacher forcing me to throw away the folder because it was a little "distressed". I was so upset. In her effort to console me she told me I could keep my other folder which was Annie the musical. Who cares about Annie?! You just threw my idol in the trash! :mad::cry:

Hubert

Reaction score
While we're hovering around elementary school a bit...I'll say that fifth grade was a big year for me in Muppet fandom. I had tried to talk to people about the Muppets before that, but they never seemed to care and always seemed to hate them. So in fifth grade one day I just had one of my brave moments and I went all talking about the Muppets absolute nonstop, to the point of annoyance with my friends. Of course, I knew most of the ones who "hated it" secretly liked it. So in addition to Muppet sentences I'd say all kinds of crazy Muppet thing. We'd be in English class and I'd say, "This building on the top of the page looks like the Mallory Gallery from The Great Muppet Caper," or I'd just randomly tell one of my friends in the morning, "Today is Jim Henson's birthday!" or something weird like that. What also helped was that my teachers supported it, my one teacher was also a casual fan, and my English teacher liked the Muppets, but didn't really know a lot about them. I also can remember that in fifth grade, the Muppets inspired almost every writing assignment. Our assignment was to write a poem, and I wrote a huge poem called "The Day that Felt Cried," the story of Jim Henson's death. Then for some strange reason, over the summer I kinda lost it. When I went back to school in sixth grade, I just couldn't trigger Muppet discussions and comments anymore, nor could I in seventh grade. Luckily I was still made me known around my school as the school Muppet fan, and I jumped right back in at full force in eighth grade...blurting out random Muppet facts and stuff again....

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I volunteered at a middle school last year and whenever I wore my Muppets-related shirts, I would try to figure out whether or not any of the kids liked the Muppets. Sadly, not too many of them were fans, but it was fun to talk to younger kids about the Muppets.

Plaid Fraggle

Reaction score
While we're hovering around elementary school a bit...I'll say that fifth grade was a big year for me in Muppet fandom. I had tried to talk to people about the Muppets before that, but they never seemed to care and always seemed to hate them. So in fifth grade one day I just had one of my brave moments and I went all talking about the Muppets absolute nonstop, to the point of annoyance with my friends. Of course, I knew most of the ones who "hated it" secretly liked it. So in addition to Muppet sentences I'd say all kinds of crazy Muppet thing. We'd be in English class and I'd say, "This building on the top of the page looks like the Mallory Gallery from The Great Muppet Caper," or I'd just randomly tell one of my friends in the morning, "Today is Jim Henson's birthday!" or something weird like that. What also helped was that my teachers supported it, my one teacher was also a casual fan, and my English teacher liked the Muppets, but didn't really know a lot about them. I also can remember that in fifth grade, the Muppets inspired almost every writing assignment. Our assignment was to write a poem, and I wrote a huge poem called "The Day that Felt Cried," the story of Jim Henson's death. Then for some strange reason, over the summer I kinda lost it. When I went back to school in sixth grade, I just couldn't trigger Muppet discussions and comments anymore, nor could I in seventh grade. Luckily I was still made me known around my school as the school Muppet fan, and I jumped right back in at full force in eighth grade...blurting out random Muppet facts and stuff again....
You're intense, Hubert :big_grin: I like it!

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
After I was born, my mom gave me a tape called "Sesame Street: A Jim Henson Celebration." That is kind of how I started liking the Muppets. My mom told me the other day that we saw "Fraggle Rock" with me when I was younger. I saw the episodes by a rented collection of videotapes. The reason why I watch Fraggle Rock today is because that memory came back to me and I forgot that there was another Muppet family of Henson's creations. I did grow up watching Sesame Street and watching Muppet movies and television specials. The more I watch Muppet-related stuff, the better I get back into my child-nostagla of memory lane. If there is a Muppets or Fraggle Rock movie, I would love to go see it with my mom. She would be shocked!