Kermit the Frog makes illegal move on German television

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This story is making the rounds today...

Kermit the Frog makes illegal move on German television

Kermit has run afoul of Germany's media authorities. ZAK, the federal commission charged with regulating the German airwaves, found Kermit guilty of illegal product placement in an appearance last year on commercial network Pro7.

The channel used the famous frog to present its so-called Disney Day of programming, which featured several family-friendly films. But Kermit also mentioned the theatrical release of Disney's "The Muppets." Because the promo was not marked on screen as an ad, Pro7 violated German media law, which bans product placement unless clearly identified as such. Pro7 has admitted the error.

In its most recent session, the ZAK also ruled against pay TV group Sky Deutschland for showing ads of sports betting site bwin during its broadcasts of German league soccer matches. Sky violated the German ban on gambling ads on television, ZAK ruled. Sky has argued the gambling ban does not apply to on air references to bwin, which are not traditional ad spots.

The media commission can not directly fine broadcasters for breaking advertising laws, so it is unclear whether the violations will have any legal consequences.

http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/...-makes-illegal-move-on-german-television?lite

Borples

Reaction score
....and then, and then the head of German broadcasting, who happens to be a hard-nosed son of a gun with a grudge against amphibians, has Kermit arrested until such time as he can pay an exorbitant fine--one million euros! The Muppets don't have that kind of money because they have a LOT of bills/restitution to pay related to Gonzo's latest Stunt Spectacular. So in true Muppet fashion, they break him out of jail and go on a mad journey around Europe, gathering clues that will prove that the frog was framed!

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought we were writing the next movie. :wink:

Seriously, though. I'm glad I don't work for German TV. Sounds like there are lots of rules lurking around just waiting to be broken.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen... the head of German television Standards and Practices...

"U-U-U-U-UNACCEPTIBL-L-L-L-LE!!!!"
Well...he had to do something after getting kicked out of the Candy Kingdom. :coy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
For a minute there, I was thinking this was going to be about Kermit making the "Party Salute" (Heil Hitler), based on the photo used in this story.
Well, all joking aside, the hand motion is ALL wrong for that anyway. Though I'm pretty sure referencing Germany's past within 50 feet of the country is a bootable offense.

kyunkyua

Reaction score
That appearance was ages ago! They only figure it out now?