Scooter Appreciation Thread For The Most Underappraciated, Disrespected Muppet of Ever

Do you hate Scooter?

• Yes, because I'm a terrible person

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • No, because I'm wonderful

Votes: 59 96.7%
  • Maybe, but I have no backbone so I can't make up my mind

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
No offense but I kinda think that the poll is a little biased. I myself love Scooter. But I haven't seen any outright hatred for him in the fan community or outside. But even if someone doesn't care for him it doesn't nessecarily make them evil or spineless or haveing hatred for him.

I really like Scooter. My nickname when I do films and when I volunteer for Disaster Relief is Scooter. I love how on top of things he is even if he isn't the oldest of the group. And he's just got such a vibrant spirit to me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
No offense but I kinda think that the poll is a little biased. I myself love Scooter. But I haven't seen any outright hatred for him in the fan community or outside. But even if someone doesn't care for him it doesn't nessecarily make them evil or spineless or haveing hatred for him.
There was ONE stupid blog that had a very poorly written article about the "Worst Muppets" and he was somehow on the list (with Janice and Robin, which I don't get either... everyone knows the worst is Miss Mousy). I think that's what caused the first poster to make this thread. Outrage of one poorly written blog.

I think within the fanbase, he's more appreciated and loved. But outside that, maybe not so much; People who are casual fans per se, would usually pick Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Animal or even Pepe as their favourite Muppet. Here in the UK, a movie magazine called Empire did a 20 page spread on The Muppets. There was a section where celebrities mentioned who their favourite character is - Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Beaker, Robin, Janice, Animal, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Floyd all were chosen but not one person picked Scooter
Scooter hasn't had a presence in later Muppet films until about MFS's tiny cameo, leading up to a couple lines in VMX, a few more lines in MOz, a couple lines in Studio DC, an actual role in LTS and this new movie. I tend to think as a result, people kinda forgot about Scooter...

Scooterforever

Reaction score
There was ONE stupid blog that had a very poorly written article about the "Worst Muppets" and he was somehow on the list (with Janice and Robin, which I don't get either... everyone knows the worst is Miss Mousy). I think that's what caused the first poster to make this thread. Outrage of one poorly written blog.

Scooter hasn't had a presence in later Muppet films until about MFS's tiny cameo, leading up to a couple lines in VMX, a few more lines in MOz, a couple lines in Studio DC, an actual role in LTS and this new movie. I tend to think as a result, people kinda forgot about Scooter...
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I got the impression that Scooter was initially retired after R. Hunt's death out of respect, since Scooter was his biggest character, but I think said retirement also severely hurt the character's popularity. It also seemed kind of odd for the JHC to retire Scooter since Hunt's other popular characters, such as Beaker and Statler, were just as prominent as ever in Muppet projects following his untimely death.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I got the impression that Scooter was initially retired after R. Hunt's death out of respect, since Scooter was his biggest character, but I think said retirement also severely hurt the character's popularity. It also seemed kind of odd for the JHC to retire Scooter since Hunt's other popular characters, such as Beaker and Statler, were just as prominent as ever in Muppet projects following his untimely death.
I've always thought it was because Scooter was so similar to Richard, so much of his personality was based off of Richard's own. That's not something that can be easily duplicated or replaced; look at how many performers Scooter has had since his return before David Rudman took him up.

-Kim

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I've always thought it was because Scooter was so similar to Richard, so much of his personality was based off of Richard's own. That's not something that can be easily duplicated or replaced; look at how many performers Scooter has had since his return before David Rudman took him up.

-Kim
Yeah, that's a good point. I still wish he wouldn't have vanished after Richard's untimely death, but if The Muppets is anything to go by, it looks like they're bringing him back full time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't know if they fully retired the character so much as they didn't consider recasting him for a while, and they just couldn't find a good recast. I say this every time, but I'm stumped as to why they took so long to recast Scooter with David Rudman, since he was recast as a lot of Richard's characters going as far back as playing Sweetums in The Cosby Show while Richard was playing the sausage sandwich. It clearly had to be some sort of problem between Sesame Street's New York location, and the various locations they film Muppet projects. Though I swear David did some additional puppetry stuff in some of the movies.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
I'm assuming you mean the Scooter fansite, but yes that was me. I wish I had updated it a bit more than I did before GeoCities shut down. I suppose it does live on (sort of) through the Internet Archive, but it's not really the same.

But, like I said, maybe someday I'll purchase a small bit of web property and put it back up.

-Kim
Oops. Yeah, I meant Scooter fansite. You should turn it into a blog on blogspot.
I'm just going to ask this...

Is there any one that's on this site that DOESN'T like Scooter? I'd say he's pretty appreciated at least here. I'm sure everyone's favorite things about LTS and the new movie was Scooter having a semi-major role.
Yeah, who doesn't like Scooter? We ALL do!

And what's LTS?

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I don't know if they fully retired the character so much as they didn't consider recasting him for a while, and they just couldn't find a good recast. I say this every time, but I'm stumped as to why they took so long to recast Scooter with David Rudman, since he was recast as a lot of Richard's characters going as far back as playing Sweetums in The Cosby Show while Richard was playing the sausage sandwich. It clearly had to be some sort of problem between Sesame Street's New York location, and the various locations they film Muppet projects. Though I swear David did some additional puppetry stuff in some of the movies.
Hmm, I did not know that about Rudman. You learn something new every day.

beakerboy12

Reaction score
Oops. Yeah, I meant Scooter fansite. You should turn it into a blog on blogspot.

Yeah, who doesn't like Scooter? We ALL do!

And what's LTS?
LTS stands for Letters to Santa. The 2008 NBC Muppet special where the Muppet troupe (including Scooter) attempt to help a girl in their apartment building get her letter to Santa.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. It seems like they had the same concerns about Rowlf since he was rarely used after Henson's death and when he was seen he wouldn't seen. It was said that this was done out of respect to Henson, but it's good to see him coming back into the spotlight as well.