"The Muppets": Audience Reactions

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Last time I saw it was the smallest group of people in the theater I've seen yet. There was a family and then my friend and I. But oh my god, the friend I went? I have never seen a movie with such a spastic person. I'm glad she was so enthusiastically happy, but there comes a point where flailing your arms over every single joke gets to be a little tedious and redundant...
Both times my brother and I went, there were only five people in the theater...including us.

First time, us, a babysitter and the kids she was looking after. They didn't laugh once and left the second the ending song started. I figured the lack of audience was due to the fact that it was the first showing on Black Friday.

Then, second time. Us, an old guy who was there before us and a guy and girl on a date. Besides us, the girl was the only one who laughed.

After reading all these stories about half-packed houses and great audience responses, it's kind of depressing. :sigh:

Leyla

Reaction score
Oh, don't let it get you down. People do not laugh as much in small crowds. I went last night, solo, only to have a friend and her husband randomly show up. Until she came, I was all alone in the theatre. (It was a late showing on a Monday, so, not surprised.) Her husband was obviously reluctant to be there, but it was her turn to pick. She laughed a lot, and he seemed completely restless. Right up until Man or Muppet (how can anyone resist that song?!) I was convinced he hated it He seemed to enjoy Man or Muppet, and everything... and then, my friend and I got a hilarious surprise, as at the very end of the movie, he was wiping all kinds of tears away. It was fantastic. She said he's never done that ever. She's never seen him cry at all.

I love the way this movie can get to non-muppet people. I haven't met anyone yet who's seen it and didn't love it, and that includes my non-muppet friends.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
People do not laugh as much in small crowds.
You're right; laughter is often more contagious in crowded theaters. I guess because you feel the security that you're not the only one who's laughing, hehe.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You're right; laughter is often more contagious in crowded theaters. I guess because you feel the security that you're not the only one who's laughing, hehe.
Even when I see a popular movie, I tend to go to matinees. Lately, the theaters have been pretty empty every time I went. The Muppets didn't play to a crowded house when I saw them, but it was the biggest matinee crowd I've seen. Like 75% of the audience was filled up. Even Cars 2 on a Sunday Afternoon. Actually, Winnie the Pooh was a pretty packed room as well. Can't believe that opened at 4th from the audience I saw there.

One time I was the ONLY person in a movie theater. Maybe there was some guy behind me, but it was AWESOME. Recess: School's Out. Big big room, all alone in it. I could have screamed fire and no one would have cared!

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Oh, don't let it get you down. People do not laugh as much in small crowds.
The depressed feeling didn't come so much from the lack of laughter, but the lack of crowd. I'd bet you my official movie poster that there would've been at least a half-packed house if we had gone to the big, fancy digital theater that I don't know how to get to. :skeptical:

and then, my friend and I got a hilarious surprise, as at the very end of the movie, he was wiping all kinds of tears away. It was fantastic. She said he's never done that ever. She's never seen him cry at all.
The overhead shot of Hollywood Blvd. is what got me going. And I loved it. :cry:

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
One time I was the ONLY person in a movie theater. Maybe there was some guy behind me, but it was AWESOME. Recess: School's Out. Big big room, all alone in it. I could have screamed fire and no one would have cared!
When I saw Bruno, I was the only one in the theater. Probably because it was the day a Harry Potter came out. Not particularly fun considering the movie.

I also saw Arthur Christmas last Thursday afternoon during the first showing of the day. I guess since the movie's been out for a while, is semi-underperforming and it was a school day, I had the fortune of having the theater all to myself. Now that was fun!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. I saw Recess, I think the week after February vacation in the middle of the day after an early class at a theater that no longer exists. I think it was a morning showing. I forget the exact time and what class it was, but I remember the showing clear as day.

Friskies

Reaction score
Every time I've gone it's been quite in the theater except where it calls for laughter, or whatever. The kids have always been quiet, and at the end of the movie everyone has always clapped (me included cause I'm nerdy like that).

Puckrox

Reaction score
Saw it again for the sixth time and, I must say, I was surprised by the amount of people were in the theater. I counted heads (during "Let's Talk About Me") and there were more than twenty people there. And I went to a later showing, so that was nice to see! And there were no annoying people there and everyone laughed at all the right parts and, yeah, it was a great experience!

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I keep waiting for someone to say they went to see the movie and the only person in the audience was a Hobo.