Early Reports: Looks like Muppets will be #2 (next to Twilight)

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
It also explains why Arthur Christmas is sneaking up so close to it.

zoebell

Reaction score
yeah, it's the kids. that's the explanation here, guys. adults don't see family movies twice, and if kids didn't have their own connection to it it won't do as well as it could have

Avilos

Reaction score
It is too early to worry about it. I doubt many kids see movies on Friday, they were in school unlike last week. Also parents have a say in what kids can see. Kids can not get to a theater alone.

zoebell

Reaction score
yeah, but they can say what they want to see. and i do think some of the impact of the movie does depend upon knowing and loving the muppets already, so maybe kids didn't connect as much

i mean, when the original muppet movies were coming out (esp the first one), kids knew and were deeply familiar with the muppets already- i'm sure that's what contributed to the huge success of the film. now, they may not have heard of them and going into it, a lot of it's about nostalgia and everything

Avilos

Reaction score
Do kids really see repeat viewing of the same movie much these days? My brother takes my 9 year nephew sometimes. It's his birthday today so they are seeing the Muppets again. But my best friend never would take her 10 and 6 year old daughters to the same thing twice. To save money which I suspect is a factor with most parents these days. Not only is the economy bad but kids have tons of other means of entertainment these days at home, DVDs and video games.

beaker

Reaction score
I dont see the surprise or bad news. As long as it sticks in second. Noone at Disney assumed it would be Twilight.

We have the moral victory. People of all ages light up at the mere sight or mention of Muppets. It's mostly girls with personality defects going to see Twilight, and dragging their hapless boyfriends to see it

I wanted to like Hugo, and I love the love letter to turn of the century cinema...and it is the most amazing use of 3d ive ever seen in a live action film...but it bored me for a lot of its duration.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
The "bad news" isn't that Twilight is number one, it's that the Muppets slipped 77% and has proven, despite the modest opening, that it was frontloaded. It will only accumulate a whole of 55 million this weekend, and as the weeks tick on, with Chipmunks (sigh) looming to destroy this picture. However unfortunate it may seem, it looks like The Muppets will only wind up with about 80 million domestic.

Unless it is a gigantic success worldwide, there probably won't be another theatrical film for a long while, as Disney will turn its attention towards the small screen. So, good news, bad news.

Good news: more Muppets!
Bad news: not in theaters.