"The Muppets" first preview screening

RockSTAR girl

Reaction score
Big Mean Carl isnt really a full bodied puppet though, so im not sure, gotta see the movie again.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Are you sure? I thought Behemoth was a full bodied character... but either way, thats not who im thinking of... its Big Mean Carl... you can see him in the background here...

Well, in most of his appearances, Behemoth is a live-hands puppet. Same with Carl.

Full-bodied Muppet means a character that is so tall and human-sized that a performer is inside that character.

I heard somewhere else that Sweetums, Thog and the Mutations are not the only full-bodied characters in the film. If that's true, then how about, say, Timmy Monster, DogLion, Mean Mama, Fletcher Bird, Betsy Bird... who are examples of full-bodied characters. I'd like to know if any of them appear in the film.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Having looked at the still in question, it appears to me that there's supposed to be someone there. Look at The Mutation to the right of Thog and the way he's positioned. Then look at the one to the left and the way he's facing away from Thog. If there was nobody there wouldn't it make more sense for him to be facing towards Thog instead?
Personally I imagine that Bobo will fill in that final place, with this kept as a surprise from the trailers so that we won't know that he turns good.

However, I really hope that Amy and Jason are not in the blank arches...surely they wouldn't do that?

I'm holding out for Uncle Deadly and Walter.

12Medbe

Reaction score
Can I ask what the recreated intro was like? I know some arches were blank. What was the intro like, was it like the Season 5 intro? Oh! was the song also re-recorded as well or did they use the original recording of the song?

dwmckim

Reaction score
Behemoth is a puppet that can be turned full-body such as in Sandy Duncan episode but it's been a long time since they've done that...certainly not since TMS.

RockSTAR girl

Reaction score
the arches def wont be bobo, uncle deadly, jason, amy, or walter... just because of when that scene is shown during the movie. im pretty sure it will just be random characters who are being put in. it has gotten more and more full since the preview screening, just because of how much time and work is going into that shot. they arent trying to hide anything for a surprise I can assure you.
and as far as what season opener is it more like, its most like the season 2 opener... im pretty sure it was fozzie telling a joke during the break (but for some reason im thinking statler and waldorf either heckel him or kermit in this scene too) and i can tell you for sure the arches were used for the chorus line and the shot that we're talking about in this thread... which would make it most similar to season 2

dwmckim

Reaction score
Fozzie's joke was season 1 only. The arches were used in seasons 2-5 (with the same footage shot in season 2 of the final verse being used for the rest of the run)

I disagree that something's not being hidden for a surprise because i know what that surprise could possibly be and this is something that really works best unspoilered.

Quite frankly i was a little disheartened that they even showed any footage of the recreation of the Muppet Show theme used in the trailers since that would have been such a great surprise to have in the theatre when you're seeing the film for the first time...but i guess the images were too strong to not include in the advertising for the film. But i gotta hand it to them...not only do the empty arches (possibly) save something for the film but it also generates buzz from fans wondering "why are there empty arches" Pretty shrewd in a good way actually.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think it's a safe assumption that the opening is what starts the telethon (since we see Kermit in the O of "The Muppet Show Telethon" logo being pulled up like in the opening), but I always thought the redone opening would have been a great way to either start or end the movie (though I think it's been reported that the big number outside hollywood boulevard is the ending). It could have started with the redone opening, and then at the end, right after singing the line "This is what we call...", it could have cut to black, and then we get to the opening credits and start of the plot.

And of course the redone opening could have been used at the very end, right before the credits, since the script DW read supposedly showed the Muppets getting their show back on the air at the end.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well, I doubt the theme would come after the telethon.