Is It Normal For A Diz Film To Have No Hype?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Make no mistake... I LOVE Aardman... but somehow, I'm not impressed by the concept or the style, CGI or not... I actually quite dug Flushed Away (it at least managed to keep the Aardman banana mouth style in CGI form, and it actually looked similar to their stop motion)... but I've seen the "Independent thinker that no one understands that saves the day" trope too many times, and none of the current stuff that uses that one seems genuine. They seem much more mechanical than, let's say A Bug's Life or if you want a really early example, maybe Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer.

I will say Christmas movies have been starting to flop in recent years (though the Christmas angle of the Chipmunks' first movie added to it's surprise box office), but you can never be too sure.

I WILL bad mouth Arthur Christmas quite fervently if it does dig into the BO for this movie...

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
i actually have yet to see anything for this arthur in fact this is the first time ive heard of anything for it...as for a Muppets trailer, i dont think its will be attached to Pirates but i could be wrong i dont remember the trailers for the last pirate movies

Drtooth

Reaction score
They had it with that horrid Yogi Movie.

In my defense, the movie was called YOGI BEAR, not "Ranger Smith tries to Woo a Mary Sue," which SHOULD have been the title.

Seriously, I don't know what was worse, Ranger Smith's 70% of the movie or the terrible trailers I had to endure to get to it.

Curse my Hanna Barbera fandom.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Arthur Christmas Teaser looks like an interesting departure, but you never can tell where holiday films are going to go. I initially thought Hop would be a flop, but now I believe it's going to be a smash hit no matter how good or bad it may be. Hugo Cabret doesn't have a trailer yet, but it strikes me as the type of book involving a boy completing his father's invention of a robotic man that Jim Henson would have been interested in adapting if he were around today. Project X has three credited writers, but only one of any notoriety as having written the screenplay for last year's Scott Pilgrim. I think the Muppets have more than a fighting chance, but Twilight comes out a week or so before it so that might still get the top spot.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
eh arthur looks meh its hard to tell from a teaser trailer...but im sure for a christmas movie it will do ok...ill agree at first i thought Hop was really dumb but i finally got to see a full trailer and the story looks really decent

my only concern is that it is coming out way to soon in april to have an impact for the easter crowd and may be forgotten by then

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, I thought Hop was meh until I saw the trailer... now I REALLY want to stay away from it... 3 reasons...

Live action couple (GAW! Why do all these kiddy movies have to have a forced romantic subplot?) actually, the whole live action segment.

Fecal Jelly beans....

and "From the Director of Alvin and the Chipmunks"... and we all know who that is

Really, reason 2 and 3... what the heck is up with that guy and eating fecal matter in movies? ("Relax Dave, it's only a Raisin!")

I sort of dig the idea of an evil army of Chicks wanting to take over the holiday... until I remembered it's the same exact plot from Here Comes Peter Cottentail... and HCPC had Vincent Price... sorry... he wins out.

Daffney

Reaction score
I thought Hop would be just a typical CGI film, but after I heard more about it and saw the recent trailer, it was enough to drive me away from it.

I doubt a Muppet trailer will premiere in front of Prom (more like Bore), but maybe it will be on Pirates 4 or Cars 2. That's my thinking.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I thought Hop would be just a typical CGI film, but after I heard more about it and saw the recent trailer, it was enough to drive me away from it.
Other than the fact I broke down and saw Alvin and the Chipmunks, which was surprisingly decent, I refuse to support the dude that ruined Muppets From Space.

Betchya we're gonna see scenes of the Easter Bunny checking his mail and painting his house too.

And I swear... one more movie with a cartoon woodland creature with a title name spending most of the movie trying to help some loser get a Mary Sue and I'm gonna lose it.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Disney announced yesterday that the teaser for Brave will be attached to Cars 2. Unless studio policies have changed, film studios are only allowed to attach one trailer for an upcoming release to the head of their movie theatrically, I guess this means the first trailer for The Muppets will most likely be with Pirates 4. Just a guess.

TSSD

Reaction score
Betchya we're gonna see scenes of the Easter Bunny checking his mail and painting his house too.
No joke, the second I read that, a commercial came on TV that had that bunny from HOP reaching into a mailbox.