Labyrinth 2 Return to the Labyrinth

BoomerangFish

Reaction score
I would've added all of those too... And "The Two Towers"... just that they are seconds in a trilogy... does that still make them sequels? :wink:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Yeah- I would definitely have to include "The Two Towers" and "Prince Caspian"- mainly because I love "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Chronicles of Narnia" books and movies. But yeah- those are all kind of movies in a series anyway- so I guess they are still considered sequels of sorts... but it's not exactly the same. Those movies are following the pattern already set out by their source material- in the case of "Spider-Man 2" or "Superman II" - it's more like adding a new story to expand on the original movie- so, though they are obviously based on the comic books, it's not quite the same as already having a set series of books to be adapted...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sequels tend to suck because the studio views the first film as a cash cow and tries to repeat the success, but ends up insulting the audience. What often happens, for me, is that the 2nd film (if it's bad) just serves to support how great the first film was. Ghostbusters 2 is an example of this. While I like GB2, I loved the first film.

Case in point... Pirates of the Carribean... pretty entertaining... then the 2nd and 3rd ones just totally dropped the ball. Godfather 3... Blade 3... The Matrix sequels... all extremely lackluster compared to the originals.

Sequels that don't suck? Terminator 2. Superman 2. Batman Returns. The Great Muppet Caper, of course. :wink:
That's the problem. Where's the line between continuing a story and milking something? We can't see it anymore. But even if a sequel sucks the only way it hurts the integrity of the first film(s) is if you let it. You can always ignore those films easily.

There are great sequels, some that completely shellac the first one in some cases. I find Toy Story 2 leaps and bounds better than the first one. I like the first one, but it just didn't feel the same after the second... then the third came, and it blew the second away for me. Batman Begins was a good film, sure, but it didn't explode until The Dark Knight. I still fail to see why WB didn't try Superman a second time after Superman Returns for that reason. And I tend to think BTTF II is the best of the trillogy.

But the worst sequels will ALWAYS come after years and years of rewrites, delays, and of course saving itself for new technology. That's why a Labyrinth sequel could go either way, especially if they're making it to please fan girls. I have no faith in TDC 2 being made, but if it does, I'm wary of the constant rewrites and disposed scripts over the years.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I still fail to see why WB didn't try Superman a second time after Superman Returns for that reason. And I tend to think BTTF II is the best of the trillogy.
I wholly agree on that one. Okay, actually I love all of the "Back to the Future" movies- but I can see why you might say that. It's one of my favorites too.
But yes- definitely- I wish Brandon Routh had been given the go ahead for the originally planned sequel to "Superman Returns" with the "Superman: Man of Steel" movie directed by Bryan Singer. I am excited to see a new Superman movie of course- and I hope that Henry Cavill and Zack Snyder pull together a good movie- but I'm really not excited about the tone and direction they seem to be heading in... And considering Zack Snyder has done movies like "Watchmen" and "Sucker Punch"- that doesn't make me feel any better about it.
I think it mainly comes down to money- "Superman Returns" wasn't the blockbuster than "Batman Begins" was and that Warner Brothers obviously wanted it to be- it didn't make quite enough money for them- so they decided it had to be scrapped and retooled before they would try again. Which was very unfortunate for the fans who truly loved the vision that Singer maintained in continuity with the classic Christopher Reeve films and the presence that Brandon Routh brought to the role.
Oh well- Christian Bale is supposed to be wrapping up his Batman movie series now with "The Dark Knight Rises" and then there is supposed to be a newcomer playing Batman for the "Justice League" movie that is supposed to be coming again- along with future "Batman" movies of course- just not with Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale. (If the rumors turn out to be true, of course.)

BoomerangFish

Reaction score
They are making a new Superman film. They recently cast a Brit to play the lead. I believe Viggo Mortensen and Amy Adams are also part of the cast. Should be pretty good. Well, I hope. :wink:

Someone mentioned Prince Caspian? Eww... awful, awful film. I feel they are missing the spirit of the books. The newest one (Dawn Treader) was just as bad. Just my 2 cents :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Someone mentioned Prince Caspian? Eww... awful, awful film. I feel they are missing the spirit of the books. The newest one (Dawn Treader) was just as bad. Just my 2 cents :wink:
I'm not a bit Lion, Witch and Wardrobe fan, but if there's one thing I know, it's that Walden Media is incapable of making a good film. Though, you gotta give them credit. At least they don't look like cheap 1990's cable telefilms like all their other stuff tends to become.

I think it mainly comes down to money- "Superman Returns" wasn't the blockbuster than "Batman Begins" was and that Warner Brothers obviously wanted it to be- it didn't make quite enough money for them- so they decided it had to be scrapped and retooled before they would try again. Which was very unfortunate for the fans who truly loved the vision that Singer maintained in continuity with the classic Christopher Reeve films and the presence that Brandon Routh brought to the role.
But then again, Batman Begins did only alright as well... probably better than Superman Returns, I don't know the BO receipts... but Batman Begins did modestly alright, The Dark Knight EXPLODED! Some of it may be just because of Heath Ledger's final role, sure... but it did gangbusters compared to the first one. I'm sure a second chance for Superman would have done well enough too. But then again, I'm not all that crazy about Supes... I have a special place in my heart for him and his creators and all, but he suffers from the fact he was the first character of his kind, and comes off bland compared to all the other, more specific and special characters... we've become jaded by Batman, Spider-Man, the X-Men, and like that. Plus, Superman sort of comes off as too immortal for his own good. it takes a special retelling of the character to really work. Smallville is only just ending now, and Lois and Clark did alright... but cartoon adaptions just don't seem to last very long. Might be said for the movies too.

BoomerangFish

Reaction score
A $100 million dollar profit is considered a win, basically, or ideally your return should be double your budget. That's kinda the rule of thumb. But then I don't work in the industry in L.A...

But then again, Batman Begins did only alright as well...

Mystic Master

Reaction score
I would love to see a LABYRINTH sequel. But hopefully not as bad as the Mangas... :mad:
As for Dark Crystal I would prefer a PREQUEL.
I'd like to see both, a prequel to DC and a sequel - its a rich world and a trilogy would be great if done right. As for Labyrinth, I'd like to see a sequel, where Sarah and Jareth are both aged.

BoomerangFish

Reaction score
Would be kinda cool if they did a "Hook" kind of thing... Sarah is now a grandmother and her grandkid(s) have the same experience she did. Of course Jareth has aged and needs new goblins to retain his youth...? :wink:

tigger31086

Reaction score
I am all in favor of making a sequel to Labyrinth! I just got the books and, I suppose if you are into the whole growing up message then they are good. However, even I was caught in Jareth's trap or whatever you want to call it and would like to see a movie in which he and Sarah fall in love. I feel I am getting the message from the books that dreams are for children, which I totally don't by. I mean sure, Sarah was whiny and she did have to grow up, but she should never have given up on dreaming, especially if her dream was to be with Jareth. Please make this movie guys! With a happy ending!!!!!!!!!!