Labyrinth 2 Return to the Labyrinth

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I would agree more with Dark Crystal, but the ending of Labyrinth DID imply a sequel, so it's not entirely fair to equate the two. I'm not against sequels so long as there is honestly a story to tell. While I'm not enraptured with the idea of a Dark Crystal sequel, I trust those folks have an actual story that would be worth telling. The danger with Labyrinth, though, is the "fan" problem (specifically, fangirls). You don't really see a lot of "OMGKIRYAANDJENMUSTGETMARRIEDORI'LLDIE" stuff for Dark Crystal. Labyrinth, on the other hand, draws out all the fangirls, despite the movie specifically crapping on their dreams with the ballroom sequence. Labyrinth isn't a self-contained story like DC, simply because it left too much open. We know nothing of the denizens of the Labyrinth, and Sarah and Toby could use some exploring, and while the comic sequel gave the Kingdom some neighbors, I'd like to see the world as it fully is. See, I feel when critics gripe about the cheaper-looking sets compared to DC, I think they're missing a POV that makes this work: Sarah is into theater and that's why everything looks like props and mattes. Had she really appreciated the world as an independent entity, we (with modern abilities to help) might see a far more wonderous world.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The danger with Labyrinth, though, is the "fan" problem (specifically, fangirls). You don't really see a lot of "OMGKIRYAANDJENMUSTGETMARRIEDORI'LLDIE" stuff for Dark Crystal. Labyrinth, on the other hand, draws out all the fangirls, despite the movie specifically crapping on their dreams with the ballroom sequence.
Seriously... it's like the Jim Henson group on DA I'm a member of gets nothing but Labyrinth stuff lately... and only some of it is really good.

It's just weird that it got all this popularity lately... seems random. Bet it's that Ginzu manga version of it or something.

BoomerangFish

Reaction score
I would only want to see Labyrinth return with David Bowie as Jareth... and having many of the puppets (Hoggle, Sir Didymus, etc)

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I guess it's just me, but I wouldn't care for a sequel at all. This film, like The Dark Crystal, stand on their own two feet and are timeless. They don't need sequalitis. Leave these classics alone. But hey, that's just me.
I understand that point and I've felt the same way on other movie series too. But technically- they're not really doing anything to the original classic. They're adding a new adventure- which the fans can either embrace or reject. There will always be comparisons and nothing ever lives up to the memories of fans of how awesome the original was- (whether or not those memories are tainted ever so slightly by nostalgia is besides the point). If you like the new movie, then watch it and enjoy it. If you don't like the new movie, then watch it in order to give it a chance and then vow to never see it again.
Even with a stupid, unnecessary sequel tacked on to a movie franchise, it's still better than actually going back and re-editing the original classic for no really good apparent reason. (i.e. All the re-edits on the original "Star Wars" movies- perhaps some Star Wars fans might embrace them more- but for me as a Star Wars fan- I'm happy with the original classics really. And then there's "E.T." - the whole thing with the cops having walkie talkies instead of guns and Elliot's brother not being able to go as a terrorist as Halloween- I just think that's stupid. I realize that some people freak out and take offense at these kinds of things- but you have to be able to understand that the movie was made in 1982 and things were different then. Those kinds of issues are not a big deal to me and I wish they had been left alone. If anything, and I know some will disagree with this, but I'd rather they have taken out Elliot's perverse name that he calls his brother, which basically implies that he's had oral sex with a male, whether Elliot realized it or not. And when I saw the movie again in theaters in 2002, I heard a number of the kids in the audience start repeating that phrase. :frown: - Not something I really want to hear kids (or anyone, for that matter) repeating.)
But anyway- it doesn't honestly look like a sequel to "Labyrinth" or "The Dark Crystal" is getting made anytime soon in any case. So much as I'd be happy to see one or to see a "Fraggle Rock" movie- I'm more excited for the movie I know is actually scheduled to come- the new Muppets movie!:smile:

BoomerangFish

Reaction score
I almost feel the same way... no need for a sequel at this point. But maybe it'd be cool if Toby was grown up and went himself and had to battle Jareth for some reason. If the story was cool enough, why not? As long as it didnt harm the legacy of the 1st film.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A sequel would have to be pretty bad to hurt the reputation of the first film... let's get that straight. Even with a bad sequel, you can imagine it didn't happen. Other than for complaining's sake, I pretend the horrid "son of the Mask" didn't exist.

I mean... REALLY? ! ? Look, you don't have to marry the role to Jim Carrey. The least those imbeciles that wrote that abortion could have picked up a freaking Mask comic book and see that they didn't even need him back for a sequel, and had plenty of GOOD storylines to turn into a film.

Laszlo

Reaction score
I would love to see a LABYRINTH sequel. But hopefully not as bad as the Mangas... :mad:
As for Dark Crystal I would prefer a PREQUEL.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
That's a good idea, Laszlo- a prequel for "The Dark Crystal" would probably work a lot better than a sequel would- because, honestly- the plot of "The Power of the Dark Crystal" really sounds like they're basically re-enacting the first movie- and what's the point of that? Besides a chance to see these guys again-:scary:

BoomerangFish

Reaction score
A sequel would have to be pretty bad to hurt the reputation of the first film... let's get that straight.
So are you saying Labyrinth is a bad film, or...? :wink:

Sequels tend to suck because the studio views the first film as a cash cow and tries to repeat the success, but ends up insulting the audience. What often happens, for me, is that the 2nd film (if it's bad) just serves to support how great the first film was. Ghostbusters 2 is an example of this. While I like GB2, I loved the first film.

Case in point... Pirates of the Carribean... pretty entertaining... then the 2nd and 3rd ones just totally dropped the ball. Godfather 3... Blade 3... The Matrix sequels... all extremely lackluster compared to the originals.

Sequels that don't suck? Terminator 2. Superman 2. Batman Returns. The Great Muppet Caper, of course. :wink:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I would add Spider-Man 2 to that list as well. I thought X-Men 2: X-Men United was great too, for that matter. And there's Rocky II and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (well, I love all of the Indiana Jones movies) and certainly The Empire Strikes Back. And Back to the Future Part II. And I'm sure there are plenty of others that could be listed...