Where is Steve Whitmire Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muppetfan55

Reaction score
Just to make sure that everyone knows for sure. I was certainly NOT trying to cause trouble, and I am very offended that someone would suggest that I was deliberately trying to cause trouble. What do take me for?

Melissa got my point exactly.

Bye everyone

dwmckim

Reaction score
I don't know if that was an accusation of malicious intent - more of a head's up that after getting very ugly, a lot of people tried to get the thread back to the more positive direction it initially started out to be, and i think the post you're referring to was just asking to be sensitive to that and not throwing graffiti on a just-painted over wall.

...and incidentally, this thread WAS polluted with people posting here WITH the intent of causing trouble and stirring things up. I won't mention names of forum or people but another Muppet fan forum has some major grudges with Muppet Central. This is really a shame because there are a lot of really great people who i otherwise respect. I have not visited that forum for years since (a) it's on a delphi board and webtv and delphi haven't been compatible for a while now (b) there was just too much ugliness and eliticism going on over there. Now not to say either forum is perfect and without faults but there's a very unhealthy (and very disappointing being that the whole attitude is very contrary to a lot of what Jim Henson taught and stood for) "us vs. them" mentality that includes ripping apart anything and anyone who is in any way remotely connected with the site or forum. So while i used to at least check the forum on occassion at the library when i first started being unable to do so at home, i eventually stopped doing so after i saw how bad the whole atmosphere was devolving into. I finally took the chance of checking in there recently to see how they were also reacting to the substitute situation - and people were actually admitting and gloating that they were causing trouble at "the other place".

I don't want to turn this thread into a whole debate or war over the boards (for one thing, why resort to sinking to that level) but i point this out just to indicate that while you may not be a guilty party, a lot of the ugliness that happened here _was_ a result of deliberate sabotage (and in all fairness, that wasn't the sole factor that brought the thread down...regular posters had a hand in that too - but in an honest assessment of "what exactly happened here", this thread was hijacked by people who took pleasure in stirring up trouble)

At any rate, enough of that. Did anyone do or say anything special with their Postcards to Steve? Mine read "CongRATulations on two decades as a frog, three as a rat, and FIVE DECADES as a human! Looking forward to many MANY more years of seeing you as all three!" The front of the card was a rainbow over Route 66 - reminded me of The Muppet Movie.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
That would have been cool. Maybe you could post that on the web. Anyway, as long as the thread is still open, I thought I'd put in my two cents here. It would be nice if we could get an explanation of what happened with regards to Artie subbing for Steve as Kermit. That way if it were to come up again, we'd know what was going on there. But like someone else said, if they knew Muppet fans were upset by this, hopefully it won't happen again. I'm strongly hoping that if anything ever does happen that Steve will no longer be able to perform Kermit, the people at the Henson company would let us know in advance. It would have been nice to see the GMA appearance. Maybe someone will post that on the web.

Muppetfan55

Reaction score
but i point this out just to indicate that while you may not be a guilty party, a lot of the ugliness that happened here _was_ a result of deliberate sabotage (and in all fairness, that wasn't the sole factor that brought the thread down...regular posters had a hand in that too - but in an honest assessment of "what exactly happened here", this thread was hijacked by people who took pleasure in stirring up trouble
Be that as it may, I still did not appreciate that it was even considered that I was deliberately trying to cause a problem.
It leads me to believe that people here are distrustful of newbies.
I would also like to publicly state, that if there was a problem with what I posted, let a moderator address it, not a regular member taking it upon himself to act like a mod.

But enough of that.
Its great that Steve is still performing. I wanted him to be back as much as anyone here. I knew deep down that things would turn out alright.

~Goodbye
Take care all.

Luke

Reaction score
I'm too old (or rather feel old and tired lol) for all the forum rivalry now,i just post if i feel strongly about something or have a point to make and it doesnt really matter to me what past history that person has had on the forum, since i don't know them in "real life", and in any case, im posting about the Muppets, not them. Whether anyones "gloating" elsewhere or not i have no idea about but i'm pretty sure they were posting what they really thought as well and their opinion made sense to me. I think deep down the majority of people in this thread all really thought the same about the basic points of how the subsitution was handled, and Steves value and contribution to the Muppets. Just some people felt more strongly about aspects than others.

I think the one thing to take away from this whole Kermit situation is that at least it showed Disney to some small extent that at least someone, somewhere actually noticed they switched puppeteers, and more to the point, cared. That ain't a bad thing! :wink:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hold up, lets make sure its Steve back permanently and there are no more switcheroos! :stick_out_tongue:
Can I just mention that I LOVE the word switcheroo? And I can't help wondering if it is sourced by the original most switcheroo of them all in Winnie the Pooh when Piglet and Roo were Switcherooed?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Glad we're all keeping on topic here. Lol.

Hold up, lets make sure its Steve back permanently and there are no more switcheroos!
Yeah. That's why I'm anxious to see that GMA thing to see if it was Steve or Artie as Kermit there or wondering if we'll ever get an explanation of what happened.

Luke

Reaction score
Can I just mention that I LOVE the word switcheroo? And I can't help wondering if it is sourced by the original most switcheroo of them all in Winnie the Pooh when Piglet and Roo were Switcherooed?
Nah, i made it up. I had no idea about Pooh, how cool! :insatiable:

unclematt

Reaction score
I don't know if that was an accusation of malicious intent - more of a head's up that after getting very ugly, a lot of people tried to get the thread back to the more positive direction it initially started out to be, and i think the post you're referring to was just asking to be sensitive to that and not throwing graffiti on a just-painted over wall.

...and incidentally, this thread WAS polluted with people posting here WITH the intent of causing trouble and stirring things up. I won't mention names of forum or people but another Muppet fan forum has some major grudges with Muppet Central. This is really a shame because there are a lot of really great people who i otherwise respect. I have not visited that forum for years since (a) it's on a delphi board and webtv and delphi haven't been compatible for a while now (b) there was just too much ugliness and eliticism going on over there. Now not to say either forum is perfect and without faults but there's a very unhealthy (and very disappointing being that the whole attitude is very contrary to a lot of what Jim Henson taught and stood for) "us vs. them" mentality that includes ripping apart anything and anyone who is in any way remotely connected with the site or forum. So while i used to at least check the forum on occassion at the library when i first started being unable to do so at home, i eventually stopped doing so after i saw how bad the whole atmosphere was devolving into. I finally took the chance of checking in there recently to see how they were also reacting to the substitute situation - and people were actually admitting and gloating that they were causing trouble at "the other place".

I don't want to turn this thread into a whole debate or war over the boards (for one thing, why resort to sinking to that level) but i point this out just to indicate that while you may not be a guilty party, a lot of the ugliness that happened here _was_ a result of deliberate sabotage (and in all fairness, that wasn't the sole factor that brought the thread down...regular posters had a hand in that too - but in an honest assessment of "what exactly happened here", this thread was hijacked by people who took pleasure in stirring up trouble)

At any rate, enough of that. Did anyone do or say anything special with their Postcards to Steve? Mine read "CongRATulations on two decades as a frog, three as a rat, and FIVE DECADES as a human! Looking forward to many MANY more years of seeing you as all three!" The front of the card was a rainbow over Route 66 - reminded me of The Muppet Movie.
Thanks for understanding where I was coming from. My intent was not malicious at all and I feel bad that Muppetfan55 has decided to leave these forums. I passed all information on to Fozzie Bear (super moderator) so that he is aware of the situation. I really do feel guilty about the whole situation but I was really just trying to keep the thread clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.