The closing themes of Sesame Street

ISNorden

Reaction score
Since most PBS stations aired Sesame Street during the school week originally, the special closing credits ran on Fridays (not Sundays). I grew up watching it in the early 70s, but kept watching on and off until the big format change in Season 28. And yes, Barkley hiding behind the tree impressed me even as a teenager; I first learned how he did it from another member's message on this board. :smile:

Stupendous Man

Reaction score
I was doing some thinking and I realized something that we might unfortunately be missing on the Old School: Volume 3 set. It seems to me that on all of the Friday closing credit crawls from 1969-1979, these credit sequences were taken from the end of the first week of the season (#5 for season 1, #135 for season 2, and so on). However, if Sesame Workshop releases Volume 3 with the Season 11 credit crawl, that means they may have to use the crawl from show 1320, because 1316 was the season premiere. If 1316 began the multiple-episode story about Puerto Rico, the closing credits of 1320 may have featured footage of the cast flying home and a special Spanish-language rendition of the theme. Which means that, if this credit sequence were to be used, those of us not familiar with that season will never know what the credits from 1979-80 looked and sounded like on normal episodes! :frown: Does anyone know what they looked like, whether they used the 1978 one with the train tracks and canyon, or a different one?

ssetta

Reaction score
I was actually thinking the very same thing. But unfortunately, I don't know the answer. However, I do know that Season 12 used the credit crawl with Barkley and the kids, because the Season 12 finale, #1575, was featured on Sesame Street Unpaved on Noggin.

Stupendous Man

Reaction score
I was actually thinking the very same thing. But unfortunately, I don't know the answer. However, I do know that Season 12 used the credit crawl with Barkley and the kids, because the Season 12 finale, #1575, was featured on Sesame Street Unpaved on Noggin.
Maybe season 12 was when the Barkley credits were introduced. It seems odd to me, because Barkley was in the show's opening theme since (I believe) 1978.

gutchman

Reaction score
sesame street episodes closing themes

ssetta, do you remember which versions of the closing theme were played at the end of these SS epsiodes: 2164, 2754, 2782, 3021, and 3060?

Also, I heard that in seasons 25-26, some reruns of SS episodes had the harmonica closing theme replaced with the calypso version of the closing theme, which episode numbers did this apply to?

ssetta

Reaction score
2164(?) ended with the harmonica music, because it ended during the day. I'm pretty sure 2754 had the normal harmonica, but I'm not sure. It's been awhile since I've seen it. I haven't seen 2782 yet. 3021 ended with the nighttime music, and 3060 ended with a jazzy version of the theme that was only used that once, since it was at Birdland.

gutchman

Reaction score
sesame street episode 2487

ssetta, which version of the closing theme played at the end of SS episode 2487?

gutchman

Reaction score
Sesame Street episode 2274 ending

ssetta, which version of the closing theme was played at the end of Sesame Street episode 2274? Was it the nighttime version?