State of the Muppets - An Opinion

Redsonga

Reaction score
You sure? Our love didn't really help too much, considering how many dislike the route The Muppets have taken.
Some people has always hated the muppets, but that's never stopped them before:coy:. Besides, not liking everything about them is not going to drag everything about them down IMHO..unless the fan is very mad, very rich, and very in touch with Disney -.-

wwfpooh

Reaction score
and very in touch with Disney -.-
No need to drag Disney down to. Sure, the corporate heads deserve dragging, but the endearing characters & movies that the company's made don't deserve dragging.

Redsonga

Reaction score
No need to drag Disney down to. Sure, the corporate heads deserve dragging, but the endearing characters & movies that the company's made don't deserve dragging.
No, no, I meant that they would have to be on the inside with Disney to make any true say in the muppets..that's all:sympathy:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I only saw it on video not at the movies and well..with movies I've always had a soft spot for origin movies. I can forgive just about anything as long as I feel the story shows something new about the characters past and adds to them in some way:smile:. I think this is because I have a writing mind and like to put these little details into the bigger picture, while not taking in any of the parts that are bad and making a richer overall picture about them in my mind.

With OZ there is really nothing I could take from it, as they were playing characters, not themselves. Treasure Island I like a bit, because while they were playing characters, they were themselves playing characters..I'm not sure how to put it into words :stick_out_tongue:. That's why of all the storybook movies Treasure Island, and Frog Prince are my favorites...
MFS barely made a pit-stop in theaters before moving to home video. I tell ya there were crickets chirping in the theater I went to. Kermit would have had a feast! :smile: It really does play much better on DVD. At least by a letter grade, maybe more. There's a level of annoyance that occurs sitting in a theater that doesn't happen in the comfort of home with your hand on the remote.

My favorite Muppet projects are as follows: The Muppet Movie, The Muppet Show and The Great Muppet Caper. My tastes are very much with the classics. I can agree that the Muppets playing other parts gets tiresome after the length of a sketch. Some projects pull it off better than others.

However, I don't care for origin stories either because that was already set-up in the Muppet Movie. I see everything else as a pale comparison to that vibrant film. Also, Kermit states that it's really an approximation and not the actual origin. I find the scripted origins to be less satisfying than my imagination. Gonzo appeared one day from an accumulation of muck and fungus. Case closed. I think the fun is in not knowing.

I have to admit to liking VMX because of its classic Muppet Theater setting, but it was far too somber. Even the original song played like a dirge. There's a layer of brightness that should have been incorporated to balance Kermit's depressing plight, but there wasn't. I also wanted to see more of the pageant! More people would have enjoyed that.

Nonetheless…the joy and wit of the Muppets is back. I just want to see them carry it for an entire program. :wink:

Redsonga

Reaction score
MFS barely made a pit-stop in theaters before moving to home video. I tell ya there were crickets chirping in the theater I went to. Kermit would have had a feast! :smile: It really does play much better on DVD. At least by a letter grade, maybe more. There's a level of annoyance that occurs sitting in a theater that doesn't happen in the comfort of home with your hand on the remote.

My favorite Muppet projects are as follows: The Muppet Movie, The Muppet Show and The Great Muppet Caper. My tastes are very much with the classics. I can agree that the Muppets playing other parts gets tiresome after the length of a sketch. Some projects pull it off better than others.

However, I don't care for origin stories either because that was already set-up in the Muppet Movie. I see everything else as a pale comparison to that vibrant film. Also, Kermit states that it's really an approximation and not the actual origin. I find the scripted origins to be less satisfying than my imagination. Gonzo appeared one day from an accumulation of muck and fungus. Case closed. I think the fun is in not knowing.

I have to admit to liking VMX because of its classic Muppet Theater setting, but it was far too somber. Even the original song played like a dirge. There's a layer of brightness that should have been incorporated to balance Kermit's depressing plight, but there wasn't. I also wanted to see more of the pageant! More people would have enjoyed that.

Nonetheless…the joy and wit of the Muppets is back. I just want to see them carry it for an entire program. :wink:
I love knowing things, because then I get to twist them, in a good way, just right to make a story in my head that fits the characters even better (IMHO) than how it was written in the movie...My imagination loves to be fed 'official' details :excited: