Dark Crystal sequel may be headed to DVD

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well Robin, I hate to tell you that no matter who wins, we're not getting a good President :smile:
Whoever wins will have a hard road ahead! I don't buy much of what any politician has to sell, but as a Muppet fan I like to start with the good in things while still recognizing the reality of a situation.

Nonetheless, we should probably keep this thread about the Dark Crystal. It was announced May 2005, picked up Tartakovsky to direct January 2006, was promoted by Froud and Tartakovsky at Comicon that July and preliminary art was released that October. Nearly a year later at the 2007 ComiCon Lisa Henson confirmed the production had hit a snag. It is currently slated for theatrical release in 2009, but that is unlikely at this point. The Muppet and Fraggle films will likely have come and gone in 2010 before this gets a release, but the recent development from Brian Henson notes his personal connection and care for the project. That's a good thing. We will have to see. :scary:

JustListen

Reaction score
Whoever wins will have a hard road ahead! I don't buy much of what any politician has to sell, but as a Muppet fan I like to start with the good in things while still recognizing the reality of a situation.

Nonetheless, we should probably keep this thread about the Dark Crystal. It was announced May 2005, picked up Tartakovsky to direct January 2006, was promoted by Froud and Tartakovsky at Comicon that July and preliminary art was released that October. Nearly a year later at the 2007 ComiCon Lisa Henson confirmed the production had hit a snag. It is currently slated for theatrical release in 2009, but that is unlikely at this point. The Muppet and Fraggle films will likely have come and gone in 2010 before this gets a release, but the recent development from Brian Henson notes his personal connection and care for the project. That's a good thing. We will have to see. :scary:
Thanks for the swift save frogboy. It was getting way too political and I was about to grab my musket.
If the promise is a great movie that will serve justice to the magic of dark crystal, ill wait forever.

JustListen

Reaction score
Not if I have the Shard :scary: :big_grin:
Ahh yes! And when single shines the triple sun, hollywood will know the true power of the crystal. And when the crystal is whole again, the cruel paris hilton and the gentle morgan freeman will conbine and will be reunited as the one and only jennifer love heiwet!...i think i just committed dc sin...

LeanneRivett

Reaction score
I am hoping they release the Dark Crystal on Bluray,

There is a sign up for it on Amazon, has anyone else heard any news, I think it will be fantastic.

Leanne
x

Mystic Master

Reaction score
The preliminary art alone makes me want to see this film, I'm hoping for a 2009 direct-to-DVD release. While the original movie remains one of my childhood favorites, I'm not sure how an 80s era fantasy film would play on the modern screen - thats why I think fans and the studio would be better served with a direct-to-DVD release. As a fan of Farscape, I know the power of fan impact - so we should let it be known how much we anticipate this release...

DJ SCY

Reaction score

I took five years to make the first Dark Crystal films and movies are not released overnight. Basicly it takes years to make a movie like Star Wars, for example: George Lucas had hit alot of snags in his project before his movie was finaly released. Jim Henson had a few snags as well making the Dark Crystal and he was making 2 more in the process. Let's just give cheer for the Henson Company in making this D.C. Sequel and hope for the best.:smile::big_grin:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I took five years to make the first Dark Crystal films and movies are not released overnight. Basicly it takes years to make a movie like Star Wars, for example: George Lucas had hit alot of snags in his project before his movie was finaly released. Jim Henson had a few snags as well making the Dark Crystal and he was making 2 more in the process. Let's just give cheer for the Henson Company in making this D.C. Sequel and hope for the best.:smile::big_grin:
I have been to film school and studied many areas of that topic (along with my film fave Dark Crystal) so I get what you are saying.

My irritation is that Henson was releasing press teasers and signing off on magazine covers for this sequel before it was anywhere near that stage regardless of snags. It was more than a little irresponsible. Now they are keeping too tight-lipped about it. I hope the company finally hits its stride soon with press and project funding. It appears that there is confusion in leadership over there. I think they should step out and hire some sort of operating CEO from outside of the family. That could help. However, Lisa Henson did helm Columbia Pictures Motion Picture division for a while. :shifty:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
My irritation is that Henson was releasing press teasers and signing off on magazine covers for this sequel before it was anywhere near that stage regardless of snags. It was more than a little irresponsible. Now they are keeping too tight-lipped about it.
The initial push of "marketing" that came in late-2005/early-2006 was really to produce more of an industry buzz and attract financing, investors, distributors, etc. They got their business deals and now the "behind the scenes" work takes over and the marking takes a back seat. We'll have to wait until a real publicity campaign geared towards attract viewers (which probably won't happen until physical production, if not post-production, is well underway and the release is much closer and more definate). Remember Henson is a small, small, small, small company. They have less than 60 total employees! Their marketing and PR department could fit in the back seat of your car and go split a pizza with you. They just don't have the resources to keep the hardcore fans (who will see the movie either way) updated every step of the way. And they have more pertainante and current projects and productions to worry about promoting and publicizing right now. When the time comes the information will flow, but right now we just have to wait for them to get the film ready.

A064694

Reaction score
Wow, how sad am I? Can someone update me on 2009 perspective for DC2?
Tough times? I'll wait for a quality movie, Thank you. I hope they haven't given up, and I hope they've kept the same love and spirit as the original. It might be wishful thinking at this point. It saddens me though... I rather invision it in my head than have to hear about all this legal, corporate, $-$-$ talk, and how nobody cares about it anymore.

WWJHD? I miss him! :scary:
jingle belle