Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 38

DTF

Reaction score
I checked in on it today for a bit just becasue I was curious, and my mouth flew open when I saw him, after reading what everyone's said about hwo it's impossible.

More than balanced out the fact they failed to use my favorite from childhood 9with all the bananas), the "banana in your ear" skit. then again, the B&E skit was shorter than many today, so time constraints alone could have been a reason.

Also caught the street scene with Alan's song about bananas. Great and catchy.

Too bad nobody's tossed a no hitter for New York lately. If one of the Yankee or Met pitchers had done that, they could have appeared. "Zero may be nothing, but at special, special times, it's really something." A kid would understand easily, if told, that "It's really very hard, and takes a lot of skil and luck, to allow nobody to get a hit in a game."

But, that's how I'd have done it; I'd probably have my very own "baseball Sesame Street" if I were running it :smile:

Edit: Or even, say, a pitcher from Lubbock, Texas, if they'd taped this a few months later :smile: (Little League World Series reference)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The episode is still airing as I speak, but I already love it!

We had a great story today, with a LOT of Big Bird... just like the good old days! And the way the zero puppet was constructed was very interesting... it was a little unusual, because I saw that the rest of Joey Mazzarino's hand and arm was covered by what looked like black, or a very dark brown leotard-like material... usually, it's just extra material of whatever is used as the puppet's skin... isn't it? Well anyway, I loved the street scene, very positive what with everyone showing Zero that he IS important being nothing, and once again, we have yet another throw back to the "Slimey to the Moon" saga back in 1998. I also liked the little "show-stopping numbers" we had today, especially Alan's about having no bananas. Funny references to Babe as well, when Zero decides life would be better if he were a pig "call me Babe". You know something? As I type this, I'M STILL trying to figure out who did the WASA instructor... kind of sounds like Papa Twiddlebug (when Jim did him), but of course it can't be Jim...

Another big shocker for me was seeing the musical bit with Kep Mo from Season 32! I've been DYING to see that again for sooooooo long (I used to have it on tape, but I don't know what happened to it), and a little trivia for people who don't know - besides his role as the newsreporters during the first part of the "Hurricane" saga from the same season, this is the last new thing that Steve did as Kermit on Sesame Street.

One thing that disappointed me, though, was seeing that "classic" counting film where Count would (off-screen voice-over) count children appearing, and then disappearing from on top of a large, mosaic bench; but instead, Elmo did the voice-over counting. What's up with that?

Abby Cadabby has popped up right as I type this, trying to make a letter 'I' appear on paper with magic, so Baby Bear is showing her how crayons work, as they draw another letter 'I' together.

Now there's an American Idol parody on, with Prairie Dawn as the hostess, with Rosita, Oscar, and a dog as the judges. The letter 'B' is up now as the first contestant... but she's not the letter 'I', even though the judges think she could be the next "American I". That is, until, the letter 'W' shows up as the next contestant, but once again, the judges all agree he too should be the next "American I". The last contestant actually IS the letter 'I', but much to Prairie's flabbergastedness, the judges don't think she has the potential to be the next "American I". You know something? I don't really care too much for Prairie's new look... but then again, I haven't for the past couple of seasons now. Oh wow, she just won! What do you know?

Well, Elmo's World is on now... but at least it's one that's rarely played, and hasn't been in a while, so I can tolerate it.

Well, that's all I have to say right now. Great episode!

EDIT: Now Abby Cadabby is reading a bedtime story about "Real People Tales" with Gina and Marco. You know, I was wondering when we were going to see baby Marco this season. So, I guess "Trash Gordon" has been "dumped" then?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
One thing that disappointed me, though, was seeing that "classic" counting film where Count would (off-screen voice-over) count children appearing, and then disappearing from on top of a large, mosaic bench; but instead, Elmo did the voice-over counting. What's up with that?
Hmm, yeah I really think they're going overboard with Elmo needing to be everywhere. Some kids like Elmo. Some kids like the other characters too, they're just not given the same attention.

Though it is good that they're trying to include Big Bird and others this season. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hmm, yeah I really think they're going overboard with Elmo needing to be everywhere.
Hear! Hear! Heck, even my mom is getting sick of Elmo! She's so sick of him, in fact, that the other day, when I was telling her about the new episode with Big Bird accidentally breaking Elmo's tricycle when he sat on it, she asked me, in an excitable tone "was Elmo still sitting on it when he broke it? !"

I know I shouldn't say anything, but my mom has reasons to believe that because Kevin Clash is involved with so much aspects of the show BEHIND the scenes is why just about everything is Elmo-oriented these days.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I do get what you mean, but I think it's also likely that he was given more opportunities behind the scenes since he was one of the original puppeteers still around and his character was bringing so much attention to the show. Actually he was being given responsibilities even back in 1991. I noticed on the DVD Sing, Hoot and Howl! he's credited as Puppet Captain (interesting title! lol)

Drtooth

Reaction score
A pretty good episode. Joey Mazzarino doing another classic Whiney depressed sounding voice. A nice parody of "Yes, we've got no Bananas" and a story line involving the Big one, the yellow one, Big Bird. And Telly, Oscar, and the WASA crew were there too.

The bit with Abby is really great character developement. No one really pointed that out. She relies so heavily on magic, she doesn't know how to rely on anything else. This seems like a great source of tention and drama for the character. I also like how at the end she reads "Average People Tales." They really care about the character now to make funny little bits like that.

Seeing Kermit on SS in anything besides "Do de Rubber Duck" nowadays is actually amazing. I know it was an old bit, but it made me jump like 5 feet out of my chair to see Kermit on SS. Which is sad as heck, if you think about it.

And American I, the latest in a long line of Muppet Parodies of shows I can't stand. And it marks the second time that Oscar was used in the Simon Cowel role (if anyone will remember the "Get Ready to Learn" PSA's). I love how it sent up the general pointlessness of the show to not get the best member, but the one that's most loved. Prarie even getting exasperated by telling everyone that it really WAS the letter I.

And seriously, being a big Mo Willems (and Ruth Buzzi) fan, I love seeing old Suzie Kabloozie doing stuff besides the "Let's see what the judge says" stuff

But the celebrity word of the day was even more boring than the filmed inserts. I feel these have been hit or miss. SOme were funny, like Brian Williams and Conan O Brien, but this one and the annoying Rachel Ray one just took up space.

wiley207

Reaction score
It was nice to see a Kermit skit re-run this season, even though it had Steve Whitmire performing him. They also had a copyright notice to the Muppets Holding Company in the end credits, so maybe we might see a few more Kermit sketches this eason :smile:

It's also nice to see Rosita and Prairie Dawn in some new material, and I liked the WASA appearance. BTW, WHEN did Slimey start speaking English? The early 2000s?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
BTW, WHEN did Slimey start speaking English? The early 2000s?
That SLOWLY happened over time. The earliest I can remember Slimey speaking English (not very clearly) was around 2001 or so; the earliest I can remember him speaking plain, clear English was 2005, in the episode where Cookie Monster want to go to the moon, because, once again, he thinks its a cookie.

COOKIE: Slimey, you been to moon, right?
SLIMEY: Oh, yes!
COOKIE: Well, me have question for you - is moon giant cookie?
SLIMEY: I don't really know, sorry big fellah.