Tinseltown News

Luke

Reaction score
Well ok, but what does that mean in this case? (Not trying to sound rude, just asking you to expand). :smile:
I think it may be a term mainly used in the UK, but i believe it does have some American use as well. What i mean by alternative comedy is any kind of comedy that doesn't take the mainstream route. Satire, spoofs, improv, etc etc. Those kind of shows/acts often use adult humour but it can be to entertain or make comment, it doesn't always have to be edgy or shock. Henson seem to agree with the "Alternative" label since they are using it for the brand.

I would give Monty Python as an example of alternative comedy, if you consider what else was around at the time.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You know, the more I think about it I wonder if the spontaneous "nipples" comment could have been a reference to several fans' objections to the Tin Thing's use of the word in Muppets Wizard of Oz? It's a stretch but ya never know. What's wrong with nipples - we all got 'em! I think it's part of the first X chromosome. Hmmm...chromosomes...:big_grin:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That is a shame, I honestly think if Disney doesn't want to do anything with them, they should just sell them to another company. They probably won't right away, because just owning the Muppets is a benefit for them. (Though again, I don't think it's all their fault).

Luke

Reaction score
No, the truth of the matter is that the people behind the puppets think that Piggy's not popular anymore and is dragging the franchise down.
Wud u like to explain why they've just had Piggy on a promotional tour of the UK (their biggest market i believe) and she got booked on about six top shows over two weeks to promote the DVD's, and made the headlines in the biggest newspaper.

I think they know Piggy merchandise doesnt sell well, and thats the main area they are focusing on right now so maybe what your friend is talking about, but i don't think overall she is unpopular more than any other Muppet. The Muppet brand is managed right now by the events division manager, she isn't Henson affiliated at all so yeah maybe she needs to go. The Muppets are an evergreen brand, and the presenters will obviously ask Kermit about Piggy because they grew up knowing that story, its the most obvious thing to ask and why they always do it.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Huh? I see the point, but there is a long history of this...

I think that might be a US thing. Piggy does tend to irritate the modern American audience more than she used to. I don't know why that is, but have noticed that in recent years. :mad:

But all this doomsday about the Pig? I don't entirely buy into it. She has always been somewhat compartmentalized in projects (except Caper). Since the Muppet Show it seems that either it's just her in a project or she gets a special section. If Disney really doesn't like her they wouldn't have gambled with giving her the cover of The Muppet Show Season 2 DVD packaging. :wink:

Creating troubles with her and Kermit are legendary. Since Manhattan (where the relationship seemed to 'jump the shark') the writers have made efforts to distance the two. Makes for a better dynamic. Unrequited love is always more interesting. There was that Christmas special kiss. I suppose they're bouncing back into denial again.:smile:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I think, at times, Piggy's over-the-top self-absorbed diva personality makes it harder for audiences to connect with her. Kermit and her relationship has had its ups and downs - but Kermit's jokes and comments about distancing himself from the strong-willed pig is nothing new (even in the days of The Muppet Show it was like that).

I agree with Jamie that The Muppets Take Manhattan took their relationship to a new level (and the effects of that are a whole other debate). And I don't think Disney hates Piggy - besides Kermit she has been the most visible Muppet in the past 3+ years; they've used her more than Fozzie or Gonzo or Pepe in terms of merchandising, publicity and public appearances.

But back the the topic at hand - Tinseltown... I think - just like Kermit and Piggy, Romeo and Juliet, and Antony and Cleopatra - Bobby and Samson have had their own set of ups and downs as well. No couple is perfect 100% of the time.

...nipples. :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
So I sifted through 3/4 of Alien Boot Camp and you're right, no Tinseltown. :sympathy: It doesn't make much sense to me because if it has wrapped - most of the episodes should already be edited. Does anyone know how many there will be? :confused:

Luke

Reaction score
I think that might be a US thing. Piggy does tend to irritate the modern American audience more than she used to. I don't know why that is, but have noticed that in recent years.
I'm not a big fan of the Pig, she irritates the heck outa me sometimes and i've never seen the attraction of the character at all, but i can see why some people like her and the whole diva thing. She just HAMS it up a bit too much for me, she's ok in small doses. UK audiences may be a bit more tolerant, being used to over the top divas, hence Sharon Osbourne's current diva'ish "character" here judging a talent show. I find her more tolerable and funnier when she's around the other Muppets - like the MFS scenes which were so funny. I would LOVE to see Gonzo or Fozzie sent out more to do these promotional spots. We always get Kermit, occasionally Piggy, but rarely Gonzo/Fozzie. The exception was that morning interview a few months ago with Gonzo, Piggy and Rizzo and they were absolutely brilliant, as was Dave at that exhibition interview. These characters are amazing adlibbing and people still want to see them, they were absolutely on fire in that interview. It showed that the magic, warmth and personality of the characters is still there when left in the hands of the people it should be but every time they get in the writers, producers and Disney type business people they manage to mess things up every time! Rant over, lol! :grouchy:

I know i've gone off topic, but yes Tinseltown just made me feel that a bit of the magic was back again. Albeit not officially Muppety but there was actually some warmth between the characters and they had personality, the look of the show was great, and it was one of the few Henson things that have actually made me laugh in recent years, although i know a lot of people don't get or appreciate them doing that kinda humour. I am loving this Henson Alternative brand, and if they can get the fantasy/sci fi brand going again with some nice projects, and get a hit kids show out there, and maybe even that Fraggle project if it works out then i don't see why Henson shouldn't regain the reputation they once had with the public. There is a lot of good stuff happening. Bill and Brian are excellent working together, and as with the other Muppet stuff i mentioned i think a lot of it is down to the actual people who have lived and breathed this kinda stuff for years being in control of it and not anyone else. :attitude: :zany:

Luke

Reaction score
So I sifted through 3/4 of Alien Boot Camp and you're right, no Tinseltown. :sympathy: It doesn't make much sense to me because if it has wrapped - most of the episodes should already be edited.
It doesn't make much sense to me because it looks quite complex and expensive to shoot so it would have suprised me if they only made one short pilot when they've made the puppets, got the actors, locations, crew. Surely they would have at least done a few of them together even if maybe they don't have the commitment yet from Logo to actually broadcast them.