My Thoughts: Disney's Muppets

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I knew who Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, Dave Goelz and Richard Hunt were when I was a kid - I did class projects on The Muppets any chance I could! I also knew that none of them were even doing the voices for the MB cartoon. No puppetry - no original cast... meh.
I loved Muppet Babies, and I knew who Jim Henson and Frank Oz were at the time. I thought all the Muppet stuff was great, cartoon or puppet. Muppet Babies never discouraged me from liking the puppet Muppets. And it's not like it was Barney, it was a very clever show. :wink:

Though that's cool about class projects on The Muppets, I wish I could have done that! The closet I ever came was trying imitate Kermit's "Yay!" during a class talent show, lol.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I want to say that i love the Muppet Babies and i think in the end of it all it may really have intorduced a younger crowed to the classic muppets.

It helped me a lot :smile:! I think it really was aimed at our generation :excited: . But then I am a big fan of Fintstone Kids and A Pup Named Scooby Doo to ...I always loved the 'baby/little kid' version shows :flirt:

it was a very clever show.
It really was, I never felt like I was being talked down to...

Drtooth

Reaction score
The thing is I remember when the target was 6-10 year olds . I'm really sad that it has been aimed lower :frown:.
After all, it is better that they aim as high as they can early on :smile:. Even if the SS I remember was not aimed at three year old me I remember understanding it just the same back in the day :big_grin:
SS was never a 6-10 show. Maybe Electric Company or Square One (which definately was for older kids learning about Math), but never SS. I always felt it was a 4-7 demographic that inched its way down to 2-5. But that's neither here nor there.

I still feel that the SS characters will be the ones that get the most exposure. I mean, SS is still in prodcution, and you can't punt a football without seeing them one way or another. Be it a coloring book, plush toy, or DVD. Muppet stuff is getting harder and harder to spot. A few T-shirts here and there, maybe an orniment.

I think that the website is a stp in the right direction, actually. Anyone at any given time can check it out, so it's much less risky than a TV show. And I know they want to make a project at one point. AS I stated somewhere else, they were realing from OZ. It was the wrong project at a bad time, I think. Everything screamed rush job, right down to the casting. Plus, putting it opposite the Daytime Emmy's... not good at all. I really think the pilots to the mockumentary and the reality show should be leaked at one point, but other than that, they've been taking Baby steps to bring them back in a way that will make fans and casual viewers happy.

I mean, the DVD's have been a success so far. The first week TMS S1 came out, they were flying off the shelves, while OZ sat there 10+ copies at a time. Building off that is tricky. Someone there knows people would like a more classical approach to the characters.

Redsonga

Reaction score
SS was never a 6-10 show. Maybe Electric Company or Square One (which definately was for older kids learning about Math), but never SS. I always felt it was a 4-7 demographic that inched its way down to 2-5. But that's neither here nor there.
I guess we have different mindsets about it then :smile:. Of course I was never around the labels that other kids gave shows, so I watched them for much longer (and in many cases still do).

But as far as the non-SS muppets go I think they really need another next generation Jim, someone who really cares about them, to really get people loving and remembering them. DVDs are a good start and all, but without a loving human face behind them in public it just doesn't have the same feel as years ago IMHO...
This is coming from a mostly casual fan though:embarrassed: ... The same goes with Disney itself to me though, since Walt's death it seems less and less about the human side and more about a big impersonal company :frown:. And I say this as a fan who was not even alive before his death :\

unclematt

Reaction score
I would just like to say that I finally feel like the Muppets are turning a vital point in thier lives and I truly feel like they are back on the upswing. I have had a sort of awakening. A Jim Henson biopic, a new Muppet Movie, a new Website. All of this is good news. I am a true Muppet fan and I totally like what I am seeing. Granted it has taken a little biy to get used to the new performers but overtime. I have realised that each of them has brought new things to thier characters while trying to capture the specialness of their past Muppeteers. I am looking forward to the future Muppet works

Beauregard

Reaction score
I would like to agree with everything that Matt just said and to add my blessing onto all the projects that I see Disney has announced of semi-announced for the Muppets over the next few years...!

Teheheman

Reaction score
The best this for the Muppets right now is the Nostalgia factor that seems to be on the upswing right now. Think about it, things that are old are becoming cool again. Such as the Chipmunks, Smurfs, TMNT, Transformers, these things are all becoming hip again, and the Muppets are on the cusp of becoming cool again. Which is great.

Daniel

Beauregard

Reaction score
And on top of that, the new writer is touting GMC as his ideal Muppet movie! Amazing.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And on top of that, the new writer is touting GMC as his ideal Muppet movie! Amazing.
So we can guarantee the new movie will have tons of random yet elaborate human dance sequences? Hehe

Jk, love GMC!

Drtooth

Reaction score
The best this for the Muppets right now is the Nostalgia factor that seems to be on the upswing right now. Think about it, things that are old are becoming cool again. Such as the Chipmunks, Smurfs, TMNT, Transformers, these things are all becoming hip again, and the Muppets are on the cusp of becoming cool again. Which is great.

Daniel
Well, I can't agree on the Nostalia angle for TMNT and Transformers. The newer generation makes both of them work at their fullest potential. That and Transformers never really went away. They've always been around, at least in toy form.

I think the Muppets, sadly have to work the nostalgic angle for a little bit longer. I see them as ever green characters in our pop culture, right up there with Bugs and Mickey.