~ Muppet Musique ~ (Updates)

P

Philip Kippel

It's just another reason why Disney can go.... well... this isn;t the site to finish that phrase off, but you know what I'm saying.

I love how they can pay evil lawyers to troll around looking for stuff they can't in anyway market themselves and shut it down. Like the people attacking Youtube.

Yep, folks... the internet is dying no thanks to these guys, because no one wants to watch their restrictive garbage TV shows.
Would you PLEASE stop putting Disney down, Dr. Tooth?:mad:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why? They're the ones that shut down the site, they're the ones trying to remove copywrited stuff on youtube. I'm not singling them out. it's Viacom, Warners, Disney, and Universaol. they want to buy up the internet and make it as restrictive and pointless as they did to movies, radio, and television. First the copywrited clips, then the copywrited music, then it will be the copywrited fan sites. they won't be happy until they ruin the internet too.

So forgive me for being peeved at them. if Disney were willing to release a special Muppet Show season by season soundtrack, I will stop putting their greedy corporation down. They didn't created the Muppets.... they just threw money at the Henson kids who were sadly all too ready to cash in their father's legacy.

BTW, did Hit or someone make you take down Fraggle Music too? Or was Disney going to tattle tale on you if you didn't remove them as well.

Davina

Reaction score
Well, given her policy of removing stuff that is commercially available, and at least some of the fraggle stuff is set to be released again here soon, at the very least, a good chunk of the fraggle section would have been coming down soon anyway. so it would make sense that if she was taking it down for the time being, she'd go ahead and pull that for now as well until we see just what bits are going to actually be on that collection.

Skye

Reaction score
That's exactly right, I believe she's just trying to be careful and play it safe right now. Definitely the right move! :smile:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
While I agree with you in principle DrTooth I also see Phillip Kippel's point. Even though we don't have to be happy about the fact that we cannot use the internet to enjoy music wavs (or even movie wavs for that matter) on the grounds of controversial copyright laws, blasting Disney, or any other company isn't the solution to our problem.
But I think you did a fair job of keeping your rant appropriate for our forum's standards my friend. Let's just not allow this to get out of hand everybody so we make a bad argument between ourselves in this thread. Okay. :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
I love how they can pay evil lawyers to troll around looking for stuff they can't in anyway market themselves and shut it down. Like the people attacking Youtube.
Ok so...first of all, Bren, it must have been a horrible feeling to get that e-mail and letter. Thank goodness you could get it all taken down quickly, and satisfactorally. I am sorry to hear that the site is gone. Thank you so much for providing us all with such an amazing resource.

But secondly, the lawyers are not evil. They have every right to get their material off the web and merely asked politely for that to happen. What right have we to put their copywrited matierial up for download? Would you say that Rolling was evil if she complained someone had typed the whole of Deathly Hallows onto the internet and people were reading it for free? Do you agree with people filming Spiderman in cinemas and sending it out across the net for all to see before it is released?

Yes, I loved downloading the music from Bren's site, but when we get a slap on the wrist we have to take it as such and realise, yes, what we were doing was stretching the law to a degree...let's think it over, step back, take some time out, and realise that we have to be responsible for our actions.

I'm sorry if you don't like that, Mr Tooth, but that's the fact.

Again, it is a shame the site is down. I hope we can find a way around it. But we have to realise that it was us, the people, who were in the wrong. Not Disney. Not their lawyers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But secondly, the lawyers are not evil. They have every right to get their material off the web and merely asked politely for that to happen. What right have we to put their copywrited matierial up for download? Would you say that Rolling was evil if she complained someone had typed the whole of Deathly Hallows onto the internet and people were reading it for free? Do you agree with people filming Spiderman in cinemas and sending it out across the net for all to see before it is released?

...Again, it is a shame the site is down. I hope we can find a way around it. But we have to realise that it was us, the people, who were in the wrong. Not Disney. Not their lawyers.

Actually, they ARE different things, because as Muppet fans we're sharing old things that are not commercially available anymore. And yes, while we're stretching the law a bit, we're not asking to download entire commercially available albums.

Her site featured music from episodes. And not in digitally remastered perfect CD selling quality.

There actually IS a difference between putting up long lost bits and pieces and putting up entire books and entire movies. Small 5 minute lost clips, small songs from out of print or not commercially avaliable isn't taking money from anyone.

You do realize as Muppet fans if Disney were to release a box set of Muppet show sound track Cd's, or made digitally remastered copies for sale on iTunes, we'd drop every trade and download site like a hot potato and go buy it for ourselves.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I do think copyright laws are important and there for a reason, artists need to have rights. But I do think the music and movie companies are being very slow in catching up with Internet technology. They have the right to remove the material of course, but if they see there's a demand, I think they should take advantage of it.

Of course, iTunes was a step in the right direction, but progress is still moving at a slow pace.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I do think copyright laws are important and there for a reason, artists need to have rights.
If the copywrites were actually protecting the artists, I would agree. But Copywrites protect big companies that just so happen to buy up as many expired copywrites as possible (expired, or taking advantage of a creator's greedy offspring).... like Disney did here. in a rare occasion the creators actually do own the rights, but it usually goes to some shiftless corporation that didn't even create anything, and just buys things up to make money off them.

That's why, even if Paul MacCartney had heavy protest for using his (or John's) beautiful "all you need is love" for a diaper commercial, it's legal for them to kill his beautiful thought to make money.

So, I am sick of big corporations saying how "Immoral" it is we "steal" rare clips they don't want to give us, but then copy from each other, take someone's ideas and rape them outright for commercial use, and then try to supress as many creative people as possible in fears that said creative person wants to own his OWN copywrite, and have a say in what should happen with HIS idea.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If the copywrites were actually protecting the artists, I would agree. But Copywrites protect big companies that just so happen to buy up as many expired copywrites as possible (expired, or taking advantage of a creator's greedy offspring).... like Disney did here. in a rare occasion the creators actually do own the rights, but it usually goes to some shiftless corporation that didn't even create anything, and just buys things up to make money off them.
I know, it's true. I wish there were more rights for the artists themselves. The world is not always a perfect and just place, by its very nature (or rather by ours, heh). We should try our best to improve it, but there will always be problems such as this. Despite all that, it would be worse if the artist was officially entitled to nothing, ever. As flawed as this system is, the alternative (no copyright laws) would be unexceptable.

And I do feel for the Beatles definitely. But it's a lesson that, especially when you're young, you need to pay attention to your contracts and understand what's happening with your music. Because these companies are not doing anything illegal when the take the rights away in a contract. The Beatles have said in interviews they were originally just thrilled that their songs would be put out at all. Only later did they realize what it all meant. That's why it's imperative to understand the way these things function, so you can protect yourself and your work.