How to start making puppets?

Reaction score
pleez tell me how...

:wisdom::wisdom::wisdom:some of you are probably wondering why i am asking this question but i came on here to ask it so i'll do so... i was wondering... have any of you ever tried to make a big bird, gorg, or bear replica full body muppet. i just want to know how to do it. i want to see a vid of how to do it or see someone making one. i want to know so bad!

SesameKermie

Reaction score
I have not personally tried to make a puppet like that but I have seen pictures around the 'net. Jarrod, who posts here frequently under the name Keeeeermit (I think that's the right amount of 'e's), has a replica he made for his personal collection. From what I understand, Full body muppets like big bird are built with a foam skeleton and then the fur/skin/feathers etc is stretched over the skeleton. If you can find a copy of Of Muppets and Men, I think there are some good reference pics in there of Big Bird and Betsy Bird as WIP.

Rosie H

Reaction score
New and getting started

Hi everyone, I'm new, I signed up today after reading through this really great thread, I've learned so much from YouTube videos, forums, blogs and websites.

I make cloth dolls but I really wanted to get into making foam talking hand puppets.

I just made my very first head and I'm now getting ready to hot glue felt to it. I can't find any fleece here where I live at all. I have some dark blue and dark green fleece blankets I was thinking of using but decided to go with felt... it comes in loads of colors and doesn't need to have the edges turned under.

I bought some styrofoam balls to use for the eyes and nose, I will cover the nose with the felt and I'm wondering if I should cover the halves of eyes with white felt, the styrofoam looks kinda weird for eyeballs, I will at some point try ping pong balls instead.

BTW... I got the head pattern from here, it's a 'ball' head and great for starting out. I just downloaded the picture and using Nero Photosnap Viewer and blew it up to 280%.

This is so much fun! Nice to be here. :smile:
I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Rosie H

muhai

Reaction score
BUILDING FOR BEGINNERS
A TUTORIAL COLLECTIVE

Everything you need to know about starting off building puppets. Kind of. It's all my bookmarks and favorite how-to's that got me started (all two weeks ago). Not a full list by any means, but I'll be adding to it all the time.

I'm posting this because I know I would have loved to find somewhere all these things are on the same page, the love-child of days of research, please enjoy!
:wink:

Dave2012

Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I have a bit of an unusual question. I'm trying to build a white snow owl as realistic as possible. My approach was to use latex rubber to build it and feathers. I'm new at this and building birds realistic like is a challenge for any would be builder. Are there any good reference books or videos that you all know of that might discuss "feathering techniques" in more detail?

Thanks!

Dave

Dave2012

Reaction score
Thanks BUCK thats a cool find. I never saw that before? I think some concepts are really cool there, but I don't see myself working with real birds. The technique was educational though and thank you so much for taking the time to post. I really wanted to learn some techniques for glue and attachment to like rubber or something. My approach is going to be more of a sculpt it, mold it, pour latex rubber in and make it like a hallow mask. Then maybe build inside some mechanicals on a fiberglass head that will fit inside for eye lid blinking and head turning maybe beak movement too (the tricky science)> I just can't figure out how to tie it all together. I've learned how to sculpt, now I'm reading mold making, but feathering? There is no teachers or books, I'm flying solo here. Excuse the expression.

Dave

charlie bird

Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I have a bit of an unusual question. I'm trying to build a white snow owl as realistic as possible. My approach was to use latex rubber to build it and feathers. I'm new at this and building birds realistic like is a challenge for any would be builder. Are there any good reference books or videos that you all know of that might discuss "feathering techniques" in more detail?

Thanks!

Dave
Get a sewwing needle ,preferably with a longer opening than most,they have them but there not that easy to find.Cut a slit in the hole of the needle.Then get a small dowl rod and drill a hole in it,put some glue in the hole, and place needle in.

When it dries get a feather and slide the end of it in the hole of the needle pluch it into the latex and pull out the needle.when all the feather are in put a thin coat of latex on the inside to secure the feathers in place.

PaulyPuppets

Reaction score
Making Monster Puppets (Free Video)

I think this is the place where I should have posted this originally. Sorry. He we go again...
I just posted 10 new videos where I show how to build a "Muppet Style" monster puppet. It's easy, economical, and fun. I even throw in a few tips on manipulation. When you get to the link, please scroll down and click on SUPPLIES NEEDED ... that is the first of the 10 clips. Enjoy this free video series. Now go and make some puppets, and then make a video of your creation and upload it to my Puppet Network video sharing site (link way down below)! .... Pauly
Watch the vids here>http://www.TVLesson.com/PaulLouis