writing for a puppet show

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
My guess is that the kids either took a bit of time to get it, or they laughed because the adults were laughing (I lean toward the latter only because you say they're pre-k).

Preschool is usually 3-4 year olds. They have a tough time following plot-heavy shows. If there's a lot of talky-talking they tend to lose interest. For little ones its best to do a show that has lots of action.
Ultimately I tell parents that call the theater "you know your kid and what kinds of things they'll sit through better than I do" and sure enough they bring them to shows aimed at 6-8 year olds and sure enough the kid loses interest and gets talky.'
So the same kind of thing..you know how your audience reacted better than we do. How did they react overall? did the kids get distracted or talky?

When writing shows aimed at the tiny guys, take a look at developmental guides to see really what you're working with (unless you have kids of your own, then you've probably got a good idea)

Here's a quick list of what kids should be able to do at that age:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002013.htm

I'd personally pay attention to the language development and social development aspects of it. That doesn't mean you should--everyone writes shows differently :wink:

muppetfan89

Reaction score
Well, to me they reacted well, becuase after the show they told me how funny it was and that they enjoyed it.

As you said, I included lots of action, such as running around, falling, etc. In fact, they told me that was their favorite parts.

ATG

Reaction score
The advice above is excellent! Make yourself laugh and the world laughs with you!

Also, watch the Muppet Show! Those writers knew how to tell a joke that appeals to a variety of ages!

Lastly, puppets hitting the wall is HILARIOUS! Try to do that a LEAST once a show! If you can hit the wall and then fall onto the playboard, and then crash into the "floor" even better!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Ah, phyiscal humor. What would the world be without you? Short 500 movies.