Worst Muppet Movie

Which is the worst Muppet movie in your opinion?

• The Muppet Movie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Great Muppet Caper

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Muppets take Manhattan

• Muppet Christmas Carol

• Muppet Treasure Island

• Muppets From Space

• The Muppets 2011

• Muppets Most Wanted

• Muppets Wizard of Oz

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Kermit Swamp Years

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other/listed below

• Total voters

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
Which is the Worst Muppet movie in your opinion?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
VMX. It's anything but "very merry," it relied way too heavily on pop-culture references that quickly became dated (thus dating the whole movie in a bad way), and bringing in Simpsons writers was not a good idea because Simpsons humor and Muppets humor are two very different kinds of humor.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
MWOZ for me.

VMX is flawed, yes, but there's a lot of good stuff in it surrounded by misguided jokes/references/and such (pop culture done right = Moulin Scrooge, pop culture done wrong = Scrubs). MWOZ didn't learn any lesson from that and just kept going with it to negative effect. At least the puppet designs look good (burlap Kermit!)

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
For right now I guess I’ll have to go with Space, mainly because I haven’t seen Oz or Swamp Years yet and I actually thought VMX was a decent TV movie. Not that Space was downright horrible but it’s one I don’t find myself watching very often (and even I think the fandom is a bit harsh on it).

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
For right now I guess I’ll have to go with Space, mainly because I haven’t seen Oz or Swamp Years yet and I actually thought VMX was a decent TV movie. Not that Space was downright horrible but it’s one I don’t find myself watching very often (and even I think the fandom is a bit harsh on it).
You should watch Oz just to see how awful it truly is. It's sad because Jim's favorite movie was the wizard of oz. I would have loved to see what Jim could have done with a muppets wizard of oz movie.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I'd go with MTI as far as the theatrical films go. For some reason, I just can't seem to get into it now as easily as I did when I was a kid, although it has its moments. Several months ago I watched MFS for the first time in ages, and I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it now (I watched it at least once a week after it came out on VHS- seeing it in theaters was quite an experience for me) but I loved it a lot better than I had anticipated.

As for non-theatrical films, hands down VMX. Snowthy (do people still call you that?) has summed up my thoughts about that. I definitely prefer Letters to Santa.

Sometime soon, I'll dig out my copies of Swamp Years and Oz and re-watch them, as I haven't seen them in years and see if they're worth watching or not- it'll be interesting to compare my reactions from how I enjoyed them when I was younger and nowadays.

oknazevad

Reaction score
Well, I would think the feature length TV movies would be the ones toward the bottom of the list, as they're generally less meaningful productions. Of those three, I actually like VXM the most. Yes, some of the gags were quickly dated because they're a bit too tied to the immediate moment, but it's the one film that feels the most like a Muppet Show episode to me in being a backstage look. And the Moulin Scrooge number is brilliant.

Kermit's Swamp Years isn't bad, it's just kinda forgettable. It's more just sweet with not enough spice, and the Muppets need spice. Kermit may always have good intentions, but he doesn't always act like a perfect person.

As for MWOZ, well, it just doesn't quite work. Let's be honest, the Muppet storybook stuff is a mixed bag. MCC and MTI are great. MWOZ...is not. And, frankly, the fact that it was the first major project after Disney bought them tells you a lot about Disney's corporate obsession with Wizard Of Oz. Walt himself wanted to make an adaptation of Wizard of Oz as his second animated feature after Snow White, only for the rights to already have been acquired by MGM, which made the classic film (it's now owned by Warner Bros. because of ownership deals from the 80s). Ever since it seems the company has a permanent culture of trying to avenge that loss, repeatedly making sequels, prequels, and remakes that all fail to live up to the classic. That it tainted the Muppets is just part of the fallout there.