Why was Bedtime Stories and Songs edited?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yes, he did. It's in episode 2035 and 2285.
So that’s seasons 16 and 18. Long before his last new appearance (though he sort of banged his head in a season 22 episode).

I had figured the complaints and decision to drop him came in season 29, the last to show his old segments (and Sesame Street Unpaved said he was no longer on the show), some time ago somebody pointed out that there was no new Don Music material in season 23 but I didn’t think that was conclusive enough (Richard Hunt wasn’t around for much of the taping season, while it was the first season since season 11 to not have any new Don Music material, it also was the first season since 11 to not have any new Forgetful Jones material as well).

Now I wish that letters Or whatever from Sesame Workshop could go online somewhere. I wonder if Joe from Toughpigs could have told us (I know on the forum he said he didn’t feel comfortable publicly talking about what his main job was, though it seems he did a number of different things over the years), though it looks like he’s no longer employed at Sesame Workshop.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Season 30 was retiring so many 70s-80s segments altogether, Don was no exception. And his final appearance was well into early 1991 which could have easily given plenty of time for more Don appearances in that season.

Last edited:

salemfan

Reaction score
Now I wish that letters Or whatever from Sesame Workshop could go online somewhere. I wonder if Joe from Toughpigs could have told us (I know on the forum he said he didn’t feel comfortable publicly talking about what his main job was, though it seems he did a number of different things over the years), though it looks like he’s no longer employed at Sesame Workshop.
I was thinking the same thing-If Sesame Workshop still has the complaints from parents about children imitating Don Music's head-banging that got Don Music abandoned, maybe they could put them online.

salemfan

Reaction score
Season 30 was retiring so many 70s-80s segments altogether, Don was no exception. And his final appearance was well into early 1991 which could have easily given plenty of time for more Don appearances in that season.
As a matter of fact, Season 30 was what the book "Sesame Street Unpaved" was written in time for, and that's how I know that Don Music was abandoned because of complaints from parents that kids were imitating Don Music's head-banging.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing-If Sesame Workshop still has the complaints from parents about children imitating Don Music's head-banging that got Don Music abandoned, maybe they could put them online.
They wouldn’t go out of their way to put out disclosed information like that.

eurbane

Reaction score
Here's the whole thing:
*Bedtime Stories and Lullabies was changed to Sleepytime Songs and Stories.
*Moonshine replaced Grover's imagines he's on the moon although it was later seen in the Play with Me Sesame dvd Imagine with Me.
*Anasi the Spider's sun and moon story replaced The King's Problem but it still remains in the Sesame Street story time album.
*Everybody Sleeps was updated.
*The copyright was the same as 1996 and 1997 physical media releases, preceded by the Thanks for Helping bumper in Sony Wonder releases.

Last edited: