When BIG BIRD and OSCAR appear together...

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Here's one:

MTI- Jerry Nelson singins almost every line in Cabin Fever.

I was listening to that the other day when I realized just how many were him! For some reason, don't me to explain, even though he's so good at changing his voice, you can always tell when it's him. The voices are so distinctly different from one another, but you can tell it's him! Weird! :boo: :sing: :crazy: :smirk: and an ocassional :zany:

somethingofafan

Reaction score
So when there are kids present on the set when Big Bird and Oscar are together, do they just not hear Oscar's voice or does Mr. Spinney dub over Mr. Vogel's (or whoever) voice?

Hays

Reaction score
I don't know if this is it, but it wouldn't be difficult to pre-record the voice and have it run off a DAT, just as you would do sound effects in live theatre. The sound board op just has to be on their toes.

Of course, that's assuming that they aren't letting the kids in on the behind-the-scenes stuff, which they pretty much have to (how else are you going to explain the big gaping hole behind each muppet?)

PS. Mr. Spinney, my hat is forever off to you. I just can't imagine how you manage to stand up at all, much less with the however-many pounds of puppet! Thanks for sticking around long enough so that I could enjoy you with my Mom and now with my kid.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Daffyfan2003
I do think of that whenever I watch "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street." I think as with most Muppets, who have the same performer that appear at the same time, Carroll does have somebody assist him and the voice is dubbed in later.

I can imagine that in CESS, Richard Hunt doubled for Spinney, since he receives credit, but none of his Muppets are in it. I'm not sure about that though.
Actually, I am not too sure (he may have as well... but) I think Richard was playing the front end of Snuffy, since this was about the time when Jerry stopped performing Snuffy's Puppetry (It was a strain on his back) and just did his voice.

Incidentually, who plaied Animal in the Raquel Welch episode when Fozzie gets trampled by him

(Fozzie: No one's going to walk all over me!

Cafeteria woman: HEY!! WHo ordered the raw eggs soaked in chili peppers?

Animal: Breakfast Breakfast!!!)

I noticed he sounded odd!

Secret Squirrel

Reaction score
Somethingofafan. Caroll dubs Oscar's dialogue afterward. Anybody on set hears Matt's Oscar voice, which is excellent.

secret squirrel

Splurge

Reaction score
Originally posted by Secret Squirrel
Somethingofafan. Caroll dubs Oscar's dialogue afterward. Anybody on set hears Matt's Oscar voice, which is excellent.

secret squirrel
Hi SS,

Which do you feel is better, from a professional and practical point of view, when it comes to a Muppeteer dubbing a voice?

Using Caroll and Oscar as an example: given the choice between Caroll precording his lines and Oscar lipsynching later or Caroll dubbing Oscar's voice in postproduction, which is easier more desirable? Which is less painful and time-consuming? Do both options come with certain advantanges/disadvantages?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Originally posted by Drtooth

Incidentually, who plaied Animal in the Raquel Welch episode when Fozzie gets trampled by him

(Fozzie: No one's going to walk all over me!

Cafeteria woman: HEY!! WHo ordered the raw eggs soaked in chili peppers?

Animal: Breakfast Breakfast!!!)

I noticed he sounded odd! [/B]
I'll have to listen to that again. I didn't notice a difference in the way Animal sounded. He sounded a heck of a lot better than in the Mastercard commercial. I thought Frank just dubbed in Animal's lines. I don't know.

Actually, I am not too sure (he may have as well... but) I think Richard was playing the front end of Snuffy, since this was about the time when Jerry stopped performing Snuffy's Puppetry (It was a strain on his back) and just did his voice.

I hadn't really thought of that. I thought Jerry did both the puppetry and the voice until 1980. Since you mentioned it, it did sound like Snuffy's voice was coming from the background rather than from the guy wearing the costume. What you said is very possible, but he might have been a stand-in for Carroll Spinney as well. I guess only the people who worked on that special would know for sure. :big_grin:

Secret Squirrel

Reaction score
Splurge. "Which do you feel is better, from a professional and practical point of view, when it comes to a Muppeteer dubbing a voice?"

There are pros and cons to both methods. Pre-recording is most often done when a song is involved. (This was most recently done on a Bert & Ernie sketch for season 34. Steve recorded Ernie's lines and I believe Kevin lip-synched on the day, opposite Eric's Bert.) But for spontaneity and ease of recording dialogue-based scenes, live voices and re-dubbing is easiest. Sometimes the person playing the character live has to whisper so their dialogue isn't picked up by other performers' microphones.

Hope that answers your question.

secret squirrel

matleo

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter
Here's one:

MTI- Jerry Nelson singins almost every line in Cabin Fever.

I was listening to that the other day when I realized just how many were him! For some reason, don't me to explain, even though he's so good at changing his voice, you can always tell when it's him. The voices are so distinctly different from one another, but you can tell it's him! Weird! :boo: :sing: :crazy: :smirk: and an ocassional :zany:
I was noticing thistoo the other day. it's actually true for MOSt fthe MTi soundtrakc. it's just like one big Jerry Nelson album!!! let's se JUSt hw many voices jerry can do and make them unique!!! I actually thought to myself THIS wold be the basis for a great drinking game..... every timeJerry gins the ine if a song as a new charectar, take a drink. Also, every time we see a character who is a part of the muppet family who doesn't speak, take a drink. This would easily turn MTI into my favorite Muppet film ever, I think.

--Matt

Super Scooter

Reaction score
That was Jerry!

*GULP*

*hic*

That was Jerry!

*GULP*

*hic*

That was Jerry!

*GULP*

*hic*